It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexual Orientation Change Efforts Do Not Lead to Increased Suicide Attempts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Although accusations of harm are often made regarding Sexual Orientation Change Efforts (SOCE), the American Psychological Association admits that the research to date does not support such claims (APA, 2009). Despite the lack of research to support claims of harm, those claims continue to be made, including claims that SOCE actually contribute to a greater risk of suicide. What exactly does the research reveal? This summary of the research, taken from Whitehead (2010), reveals that providing psychological care to persons with unwanted homosexual thoughts and feelings does not increase a client’s suicide risk.

source

So it's bunk that Gay Reparative Therapy causes suicide. Guess you'll have to ease up on your Christian bashing from now on.

Homosexuals do use that as an excuse on why they commit suicide. I think its more complex than that. People that are suicidal usually have psychology problems and it's simply not one thing that causes it.

edit on 22-8-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IlluminatusOculus33

Interesting. But know that this is not a religious thing; for example, I've been known to espouse a more conservative viewpoint on this matter and put simply, I am not a Christian.

What happened to your other thread.....?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak

Interesting. But know that this is not a religious thing; for example, I've been known to espouse a more conservative viewpoint on this matter and put simply, I am not a Christian.

Mods deleted it. I guess I didn't provide enough commentary on it and or because it would start a flame war or something.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Oh wow.... I really want to set the emotional rocket launcher off on you right now, but as this is a scientific site, Im going to try to refrain as much as possible.

1: Not all studies are accurate! In the dawn of artifical sweetners, they said that sweet n' low gave you cancer, they were also giving the rats the human equivlent of 20 pounds ._.

2: I personly am gay, and frankly, I almost commited suicide WITHOUT sombody telling me that I was evil and that I had demons and other ***** in my body. Thats just going to make you want to end your life more.

3: The majority of LGBTs that go to these "Conversion camps" are FORCED to got there by priests/family.

4: The majority of LGBTs that go to these "Conversion camps" are NOT SUCCESFUL and most of them that are "Converted" Have shown signs of mental abuse. Also, many of them end up with sombody in the mens stall in the bathroom, or visiting a gay bar just to "See what it was like." This treatment is beating on a computer to get it to work better, Its already functional and your just going to ruin its functionality.

And to regard your "Christian bashing" comment, we dont smart one, we bash idiots like you who think you change sombody. Its like going to a camp to gain a taste for liver, or going to a camp so you no longer like peaches, its stupid and pointless. No "Grace of god" is going to change what I like. and to the people that compare it to AA and drug programs, even when the people no longer have an addiction, they still LIKE it, and thats really all LGBTS is, its just what you LIKE. And also, if it was evil, Than how come god put us here?
Im going to stop now before I say somthing that will get me banned.

BTW: Im Catholic. Deal with it.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I really feel it is right and healthy to accept people as they are...and not try to change them. One study says that "sexual orientation change efforts do not lead to increased suicide attempts." One study ....does not a total truth make.

I know that heaven looks at peoples souls, spirits, and characters....and I have met and known many gay people who have beautiful souls and are very loving beings.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by IlluminatusOculus33
Mods deleted it. I guess I didn't provide enough commentary on it and or because it would start a flame war or something.

Of course the Mods deleted it.....but why? Speculation isn't enough; you should look into it. I think I can guess that it was just too un-PC.

reply to post by spw184

A gay Catholic? Really, that sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

And I find it odd how it's always you "tolerant" ones who end up showing how extremely intolerant you really are, what with all the name-calling......

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by spw184

Than how come god put us here?
Im going to stop now before I say somthing that will get me banned.

BTW: Im Catholic. Deal with it.

You can't blame God for you being gay. There is a thing such a free will and moral responsibility. Are you forgetting the other side of the coin? Satan tempts people. The thing is you're suppose to call on Christ to help you resist temptation.

Homosexuality goes against what is taught in the Bible:

“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." -Revelation 22:14-15

We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. " -1 Timothy 1:9-11

"Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. " Romans 1:26-27

You can't say God made people gay because it's condemned in his Word. "But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish." -2 Peter 2:12 Animals have no moral choice, people do have the ability to understand what is moral and immoral.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak

Of course the Mods deleted it.....but why? Speculation isn't enough; you should look into it. I think I can guess that it was just too un-PC.

Lol probably. The statistics were there to show that homosexuals have a greater rate of domestic violence than heterosexuals. Maybe I'll try to put together another one with more insights into it at a later time.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hold on a minute, how can you change someone's sexual preference?
I'm hetro, and I'm pretty sure no one could turn me gay, so how can you turn a gay person straight?.

And why are some people, so obsessed, with what other people get up to in private.
This is something that baffles me, if it does not directly affect anyone, then what concern is it too anyone else.

Live and let live.
There are far more important things in life too worry about, than what complete strangers get up in bed.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Whether or not sexual orientation change efforts lead to suicide or not is moot. It has been proven ineffective and should not be used because homosexuality is not a mental disease. I grew up in a very conservative Christian family. I was raised to believe that homosexuality is wrong. I had a very normal, middle class upbringing and was never abused, mentally or physically. I have two straight brothers who are happily married with children. I was never "recruited", nor did I know any gay people growing up. Yet I am attracted to men. I am at a loss to say why. All I know is that it is not environmental, nor is it a conscious choice.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Did you not notice that the four studies that promoted the ridiculous idea that you can psychologically treat homosexuality were funded or actually performed by scientists that were affiliated with NARTH? And the two that were actual, unbiased scientific studies both came back with the result that it is indeed harmful? It's a real shame that people are unable or unwilling to evaluate "scientific" research with a simple background check. So, yeah. It's like the studies done by tobacco companies that cigarettes are actually the best thing in the world for your lungs.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You can't blame God for you being gay. There is a thing such a free will and moral responsibility. Are you forgetting the other side of the coin? Satan tempts people. The thing is you're suppose to call on Christ to help you resist temptation.

“Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." -Revelation 22:14-15

We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. " -1 Timothy 1:9-11

"Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. " Romans 1:26-27

You can't say God made people gay because it's condemned in his Word. "But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish." -2 Peter 2:12 Animals have no moral choice, people do have the ability to understand what is moral and immoral.

And whos to say that sexually immoral means being gay? They might be talking about people who where into stuff like S&M or commited rape. And as for the whole "Hypocritical" comment, I interperate the bible, gospel, and nostic gospels, in my own way.

Also, During the Last Supper before Jesus's execution, the Gospel of John describes how the "beloved" disciple laid himself on Jesus's inner tunic -- his undergarment. (John 13:25 and 21:20)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Im guessing this is probably why they deleted it....

Im also guessing this one will be deleted as well...

You can't say God made people gay because it's condemned in his Word

Correction, its condemed in YOUR word, and your church/religion's word.

The bible is not Gods word... Its just a book that cause people to judge one another based on words written by "inspired" people milenia ago....

Im pretty sure this is the religious section, not the "lets bash gay people" section...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Although accusations of harm are often made regarding Sexual Orientation Change Efforts (SOCE), the American Psychological Association admits that the research to date does not support such claims (APA, 2009). Despite the lack of research to support claims of harm, those claims continue to be made, including claims that SOCE actually contribute to a greater risk of suicide. What exactly does the research reveal? This summary of the research, taken from Whitehead (2010), reveals that providing psychological care to persons with unwanted homosexual thoughts and feelings does not increase a client’s suicide risk.

source

Seems that might be the cause of depression.So it's bunk that Gay Reparative Therapy causes suicide. Guess you'll have to ease up on your Christian bashing from now on.

Homosexuals do use that as an excuse on why they commit suicide. I think its more complex than that. People that are suicidal usually have psychology problems and it's simply not one thing that causes it.

edit on 22-8-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

I imagine someone with "unwanted homosexual thoughts" have been taught to be ashamed of their homosexuality and the "psychological care" given to them is adding to the stifling of their nature. Must be depressing to feel like you'll never fit in. But that's due to other people's attitudes. What a shame. Or are the carers telling them to come out and be who they are? It doesn't sound like that.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Some other choice bits from the "literal" word of god:

“‘YOU people should keep my statutes: You must not interbreed your domestic animals of two sorts. You must not sow your field with seeds of two sorts, and you must not put upon yourself a garment of two sorts of thread, mixed together. Leviticus 19:19

Damn, we're already screwed there.

“‘And in case an alien resident resides with you as an alien in YOUR land, YOU must not mistreat him. The alien resident who resides as an alien with YOU should become to YOU like a native of YOURS; and you must love him as yourself, for YOU became alien residents in the land of Egypt. I am Jehovah YOUR God. Leviticus 19:33

Hah... The bible commands right-wingers to be nice to Mexicans. Gotta freaking love it :p

It's funny. Were everyone who says they take the bible literally to actually take it literally, they'd be some strange mixture of Jewish, Islamic, Catholic and Protestant. Oh, we'd also be killing a whole lot of people: Lots of things merit death in the Bible.

It'd be wholly awesome if people read the damned thing before going to town.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Maybe you shouldn't bother, considering the whole "no 'hate' speech" thing here (and of course, the fact that what you say very well may be actually true is not relevant).

reply to post by strings0305

Indeed, that's a good point - I don't think we could imagine just how many "scientific" studies are propaganda and nothing more.

reply to post by spw184

Are you saying that Jesus was gay? Goddamn, I'm not even a Christian and that kind of offends me.....

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
NARTH (National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality)

en.wikipedia.org...
Affiliations
Focus on the Family & PATH

Criticism

Gerald Schoenewolf controversy NARTH received criticism from the Southern Poverty Law Center for Gerald Schoenewolf's essay, Gay Rights and Political Correctness: A Brief History,[27] in which the member of NARTH's Science Advisory Committee argued that "Africa at the time of slavery was still primarily a jungle... Life there was savage ... and those brought to America, and other countries, were in many ways better off." He also stated that the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement, and the gay rights movement were all "irrational" and "destructive."[28] Schoenewolf later on clarified that "No person is better off enslaved, obviously... What I tried to say, before my words were twisted by that reporter, is that despite the clear and obvious evil of that practice, we tend to forget that many of the enslaved people had been first been sold into bondage by their fellow countrymen; so coming to America did bring about some eventual good. No social issue has all the 'good guys' lined up on one side and 'bad guys' on the other."[29]

yes this all seems scientifically legitimate

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Are you saying that Jesus was gay? Goddamn, I'm not even a Christian and that kind of offends me.....

Lol no, Im just playing the "Lets not even read the bible and quote random S***" Game! Lol, although there is a possibility that he might have been gay/bi, He is constantly reffering to THE disciple that he loved, and although many say he loved all in his own non-erotic way, he specificly refers to THE disciple several times, like at the crucifiction when he looks down on mary and sees her and an unknown man the the bible only states as the man he loved.

I highly doubt jesus was gay, although i do belive that he had sexual relations (God wanted to experiance the human life didn't he?) But it would make sense if he was, being that god might want him to be exiled.

Oh an btw: Also, revelations say that only 144,000 people will get into the afterlife, so yeah... Im screwed anyways, no use in denying myself happiness.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spw184

Well there is the Secret Gospel of Mark

en.wikipedia.org...

that supposed to shed a little more light on Mark 14:51-52

Mark 14:51-52
51And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
52And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by spw184

Well there is the Secret Gospel of Mark

en.wikipedia.org...

that supposed to shed a little more light on Mark 14:51-52

Mark 14:51-52
51And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
52And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

Yeah i know, Thats what I mean by the "Nostic gospels" There is also a gospel of judas, mary, simon, and thomas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join