Always being one to change or tweak the gear load, I was looking for another project this week. It came from a heavy drinking buddy of mine. I dont
drink anymore so I was out of the loop until he clued me in.
I have an assortment of stainless water bottles. Here are just a few. The ones that are important have red dots on them. They came with vodka inside
and have chemically tolerant plastic screw tops.
Having spent some time in the study of alchemy and the preparation of home medicines and elixirs everything clicked at once. They could be used to
You will need to sacrifice one of the small bottles.
1. Saw the threaded portion off the cap being careful to salvage the seal. I was certain I wouldnt' find a metric stainless threaded adapter. I never
2. I put dents in the plastic threads I sawed off, below the first one on half. This holds it tight in the small bottle.
3. Rather than order the correct stainless bulkhead fitting, I used brass and leached the lead from it. If you don't know how to do this then order a
stainless fitting off the web.
4. Drilled the bottle and used high temp rtv sealer under the external sealing washer. (not inside) If you buy the correct fitting it will have high
5. Got a roll of 10' copper 1/4" tubing and slowly and gently formed it on the outside of the bigger water bottle.
The finished unit looks like this:
1. You will need three longish sticks with a Y on the end. The unit it too tall to be very stable and the coil will drop it on its side. Use the three
sticks pushed into the ground and nested in a tripod with Y ends around the bottle necks.
2. It would be helpful to have a cat food can to straddle a narrow cut at the end of a fire trench. You have to use coals to heat this one. A camp
stove will probably take you over pressure and explode. Slowly push fresh coals underneath as needed.
3. Fill with water to about 3/4 full in the lower bottle. As with any distillation throw away the first 20-30 ml and then catch the in between. Then
throw out the last part. You will see mineral scum in the last part. make sure to rinse that out.
A. It is illegal to distill alcohol in most parts of the world. Dont do it. You will likely get burned or poisoned long before you go to jail, or even
all three if your lucky.
B. Your looking at someone's project. If you dont know what your doing dont try it. Your on your own. This is what I did. If you copy it you take
full responsibility for your actions and hold ATS and myself harmless. I advise you not to believe everything you hear on the internet. Its just
stupid to do so.
C. I used all 10 feet on the worm. In reality 6-7 coils is plenty. When I cut the worm down it will all weigh under 10oz for all the parts. The large
bottle still has its cap and can be used normally. If you cut too much offe the worm you may have to add fabric strips and get them wet with cold
water for the coils to condense.
All in all 10oz and a tiny bit of space, gives a huge amount of new options. Water medicines and oils as well as a field expedient autoclave for small
straight instruments such as scalpel handles and tweezers and probes. I'm sure its still evolving as well.
Add on with your multi function creations.