It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soft Disclosure or simply Viewer-Driven Media Programming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hello fellow ATSers!

I do not get a great deal of time most days to watch television. However, when I do get the chance to browse through the tube, I notice an increasingly overwhelming amount of alien related topics. I thought for a while that it was because I am interested in conspiracies and such, that I was just noticing it more. (Which may be part of it.) However it is quite obvious that within the past year or so, many of the television programs on the Science channel, Nat Geo, and History channel, that are tackling concepts of physics (and other science topics) are directly featuring and discussing the possibility of alien contact. In the dialogue of these programming, the tone seems to have shifted in the past few years from "alien life could be a possibility" to " alien life is extremely likely." In addition, more and more movies have been coming out depicting alien contact and invasion.

I first thought that it is because more and more people are interested in alien contact that so much airtime is devoted to said topic. It makes sense that with the popularity of such shows as "Ancient Aliens" that more media would be dedicated to the topic of alien life. However, the more and more I see topics like these saturating television and movie screens, I feel like there is more behind it than just viewer driven programming. It seems logical when you think about it that, if TPTB (term used loosely) know about a coming disclosure, what better way to increase the possibility of acceptance by the general population than familiarity with alien topics. What do you guys think? Am I reading too much into this? I try to take things at face value, but it seems that lately the alien topic has been set in overdrive....

On a side note: The appointment of Mazlan Othman as UN Space Ambassador last year falls also in line with this increased alien focused media programming.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Perhaps it is what interests the public. There is more about the Jersey Shore these days too. Does that mean that there is upcoming disclosure about Snooki?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiuk

GOD I HOPE NOT!! Anyways, back on topic, I don't think that because more programs are alien related that disclosure is right around the corner...although I hope it is. All things are cyclical, movies, trends, clothing, etc. It just so happens that right now the media is in the alien part of the cycle...IMHO waaaay better than the vampire thing that is hopefully coming to an end now.

edit on 21-8-2011 by superman2012 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
You're not wrong, there is something going on.
The more you research into this you'll find it's been going on for years.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Don't get your hopes up, simple truth of it all is that anything UFO/ET gets high viewing figures.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

On a side note: The appointment of Mazlan Othman as UN Space Ambassador last year falls also in line with this increased alien focused media programming.

Appropriate that you should mention that. There is no UN Space Ambassador, the whole thing was nothing but MSM garbage, similar to the recent upsurge in offworld storylines.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These things, like cop shows, tend to run in cycles. Also, like cop shows, they tend to be rather uninteresting and unoriginal.
edit on 8/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Appropriate that you should mention that. There is no UN Space Ambassador, the whole thing was nothing but MSM garbage, similar to the recent upsurge in offworld storylines.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These things, like cop shows, tend to run in cycles. Also, like cop shows, they tend to be rather uninteresting and unoriginal.
edit on 8/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the info Phage. I tried to follow the ATS thread you posted but the video link was no longer accessible. I partially agree with your statement though about there being no UN Space Ambassador. While the title UN Space Ambassador may have been a sensationalized phrasing, there is a United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs in which she is actively involved:

www.oosa.unvienna.org...

The website says the group is based in Vienna Austria, and it also provides confirmation that she was associated with this organization, and that she was Chair in 2005 and Director of UNOOSA in 2011:

www.unoosa.org...
www.unoosa.org...
www.unoosa.org...

Maybe the media overhyped the role she has, but she is Director of the organization and thus the story may have not been totally garbage? Although she stated that she denies being delagated as an "ambassador," the UNOOSA organization would be the logical organization that would be in that position if contact occurred. I agree with Prof. Crowther that "Othman would be the "nearest thing we have to a take me to you leader [person]", Prof Richard Crowther, from the UK Space Agency, told the Sunday Times.":
www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 21-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: added info

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAncientsKnew

Yes she was Chair. But UNOOSA has nothing to do with extraterrestrials (as you are aware if you read those links).

The whole brouhaha was a sensationalist tabloid distortion. Yes, Othman is intrigued by the possibility of receiving signals from extraterrestrial intelligence as are many scientists. No, she was not appointed "Space Ambassador".

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Yes she was Chair. But UNOOSA has nothing to do with extraterrestrials (as you are aware if you read those links).

The whole brouhaha was a sensationalist tabloid distortion. Yes, Othman is intrigued by the possibility of receiving signals from extraterrestrial intelligence as are many scientists. No, she was not appointed "Space Ambassador".

I am aware of the agenda as described on their website and in the links I provided:
www.oosa.unvienna.org...
You are right about the sensationalism of the media, as they hyped her appointment as director. I am sure that, if alien life were found, Othman and the UNOOSA organization would be actively involved (as would NASA). Regardless of whether that is her official title, or role at this time, it still contributes to the point I was trying to make in the original post. Is it again another way that the media and possibly TPTB are nudging the public with soft disclosure? Maybe....

edit on 21-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: revised

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Credo Mutwa should be the international space ambas. He's got all those copper bangles and stuff...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Credo Mutwa should be the international space ambassador. He's got all those copper bangles and stuff...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
Credo Mutwa should be the international space ambas. He's got all those copper bangles and stuff...

HAHaaaa You are so right!
-sorry no second line-

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

In the 40s, there was a rise of mummy-related videos. There was never any disclosure.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiuk

Exactly! And what about all those damn romantic comedies?!?!? What are they preparing us for?!?!?!? AAAAYYYYYYEEEEEE Disclosure is upon us soon, you will all see!!!!!! Skeptics will run screaming!!!!!!!

It would seem we get a "soft" disclosure thread now about what, every hour or so? The inability for your average UFO hobbyist to understand the grade school basics of capitalism simply astounds me. Add the fact that they don't apply logical think, combined with common sense and well......you end up with a new "secret cabal of entertainment folks (or insert your flavor of group here) preparing us for disclosure" thread every hour or so.

So, just like I say in most of these threads, are any of these people going to stand up and admit their ignorance in 5-10-15-20-25 years when nothing happens? I mean, I have been hearing people spew this ill-thought out nonsense since the early 70's. None of those people seem to be around anymore.....guess the government had them killed for spilling the beans about controlled disclosure, LOL.
edit on 21-8-2011 by MainLineThis because: spell

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
reply to post by Kaiuk

Exactly! And what about all those damn romantic comedies?!?!? What are they preparing us for?!?!?!? AAAAYYYYYYEEEEEE Disclosure is upon us soon, you will all see!!!!!! Skeptics will run screaming!!!!!!!

It would seem we get a "soft" disclosure thread now about what, every hour or so? The inability for your average UFO hobbyist to understand the grade school basics of capitalism simply astounds me. Add the fact that they don't apply logical think, combined with common sense and well......you end up with a new "secret cabal of entertainment folks (or insert your flavor of group here) preparing us for disclosure" thread every hour or so.

So, just like I say in most of these threads, are any of these people going to stand up and admit their ignorance in 5-10-15-20-25 years when nothing happens? I mean, I have been hearing people spew this ill-thought out nonsense since the early 70's. None of those people seem to be around anymore.....guess the government had them killed for spilling the beans about controlled disclosure, LOL.
edit on 21-8-2011 by MainLineThis because: spell

Thank you for your perspective, but I believe words like "ignorance" and "ill-thought nonsense" are a little harsh, no? As mentioned in my original post, my first notion was that increased alient topics in the media was viewer driven. However the topic does seem to be everywhere in the media, and top scientists are addressing and tackling the issue. The "tone" of the presentation has changed, which is one of the main things that made me question motives behind programming. Is it unreasonable to question whether trends in the media could be motivated by other factors in addition to viewer popularity without being called "ignorant"?

This is my first thread on ATS (besides the intro one), and I must say that I had anticipated more of a discussion than a mocking.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiuk

In the 40s, there was a rise of mummy-related videos. There was never any disclosure.

Thanks for this example. In fact, I have a friend who is doing his graduate work on the way in which Egyptian antiquities were portrayed in 1940s and 50s US media. There were many motivating factors that contributed to the increase in mummy films and the glorification of ancient Egypt in popular culture that extended to US-Egyptian relations and in securing backing for permits for archaeological work. I spoke with him about his work a few years ago, and it seemed very intriguing.

new topics

top topics

join