It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glaciologist captures meteors Fall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Glaciologist captures meteor`s Fall

www.chinadaily.com.cn

In this photograph taken by Bolivian glaciologist Edson Ramirez, an object crosses the sky as it appears to fall leaving a trail over Andean mountain peaks Huayna Potosi and Tuni Condoriri, where Ramirez was studying glaciers, August 16, 2011. According to planetary expert Rubber Munoz Sanchez of the Max Schreier Planetarium in La Paz, the object was a meteor of up to 50 cm (20 inches) in diameter, burning due to friction with the atmosphere. Picture taken August 16, 2011.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 20-8-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/20/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This is a 2nd photo of the same meteor posted on the news link:

...And here`s another picture from another news source:

www.chinadaily.com.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It is an odd looking one looks like straight down. I saw one once in the 1990' I think 98 it was a huge ball on fire so very close to our house on a mountain in Oregon my knees went weak and my voice would not work to call my husband , then I started running with it....it flew at level past all the big picture windows in the house about 40 ft. red and yellow fire spitting blue sparks off the front, it was so close I could see each blue glob jump off of it.
I thought is was a large plane burning like a 747 even though no large planes had any reason to come to that area ever. I ran with it until the back door to our deck opened the door and ran out and it was gone. it was a mile to the ocean in a river valley. I called the police dept. they said no one else reported anything and that was that.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Didn't realise meteors dropped like stones? or is it just at the end of their entry trajectory?
Have seen a few meteors streaking but not actually dropping, but I guess they have to .
Looks like a bomb.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

any idea at what time or direction this meteor came from?, the reason i ask was that i was in Oban, Scotland on the 16/08 and spotted a meteor heading SSW at about 22:00-23:00 (would be approx 17:00-18:00 in Bolivia) would be something to know that this meteor was the same that i spotted, i thought that it would come down somewhere in the North Atlantic (was far too high to be coming down in Scotland or Ireland)

Thanks

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I do not think it is coming straight down. If you go the post AS6666 put up you will see two photos of it and one shows it at an angle. I think the straight down photo is just from the angle of the camera. In fact the meteor is falling straight toward or straight from the camera.

That would be somthing. "Hey, that meteor is getting bigger and bigger!" and then realize "OH, CRAP!" you are in the line of fire.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

I`m sorry but I don`t know the reply to your question. However, there`s a comment in a portuguese website, where this news is also posted, from someone living in the North of Portugal saying that he saw a meteor arround the same time you did.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Wow, I saw it as well, though it was the 15th of August at 9.30pm, Hamilton, Scotland, UK time. I took a photo of it on my mobile and it is the exact same grey trail. I commented on it in a thread about Comet Honda:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wonder if they are connected, as is, from the same asteroid group which came down over those two days?
It was funny as Comet Honda did pass on the 15th August, so I thought it might have been it?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

I thought it may have been a meteor from the tale end of the the Perseids meteor shower, that was on the morning of the 13/08/2011, guess we will never know but its a possibility.

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
A meteor with a curved path below the clouds?
No.
By the time a meteor gets that low it is no longer incandescent and leaving no trail.

It's a jet contrail.

edit on 8/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Boring Phage!
Take your negativity elsewhere,or are you in debunk overdrive just now?

Chill out man! have a beer or two!
Its the weekend after all,let your imagination out for a while!

edit on 20-8-2011 by scobro because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2011 by scobro because: cos i am drunk

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Does this really looks like a jet contrail to you

...So what`s at the front ? ....it doesn`t look like a jet to me

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Yes. It looks like a jet contrail to me.
The plane is not visible because it is too far away.

In this image you can see the separate contrails from each engine and how the right contrail is shadowed by the one on the left, making it appear darker. The same thing as in the image you asked about.

Does this look like a meteor to you?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
No.
By the time a meteor gets that low it is no longer incandescent and leaving no trail.

It's a jet contrail.

The one I saw in Brookings Oregon in the late 90's in Dec had a long fire behind it maybe 3 times as long as the ball of fire, and spitting big fat blue sparks of the front the fire behind was both red and yellow. I don't know altitude but lived 2 streets up a small mountain it was level with the picture windows and was traveling through the river valley in front of me. It was so big and could not be anything but a meteor I think?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

lame

take a look at the head on photo, its very clearly not an airplane.....

i have a question though, how is it that this one camera man got a photo of it heading straight down and also a photo of it moving at an angle,

i get how it could be two different perspective......but from one man? one camera? was he in a jet?
edit on 8/21/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The first thing that came to my mind was a jet contrail as you can see each individual contrail from each engine, and the trail is the exact same shape and size expected of a contrail. Unless it was going extremely fast then it would arc towards the earth, which it isn't, and if it was going extremely fast then it would likely be glowing and difficult to photograph. And since when do meteors leave fluffy white trails underneath the clouds? They don't.

Also there is no head-on photo, the picture is of a plane flying away from the camera.
edit on 21/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

No.

It's a jet contrail.

The one I saw in Brookings Oregon in the late 90's in Dec had a long fire behind it maybe 3 times as long as the ball of fire, and spitting big fat blue sparks of the front the fire behind was both red and yellow. I don't know altitude but lived 2 streets up a small mountain it was level with the picture windows and was traveling through the river valley in front of me. It was so big and could not be anything but a meteor I think?

I lived in the Smith River area around that time up the Canyon. I remember the talk of the town was about how the canyon and up beyond the mountains were glowing reddish/purple one night. Everyone at the fire dept. wanted to know if i had seen it or not....I didn't I was a sleep that night. For the life if me I want to say that was around '95 or '96...but that was a long time ago. So I can't really say for sure it it was related to your incident or not.

None the less, Brookings, Smith River, Crescent City, Klamath beautiful area to grow up in...with a few strange experiences to tell.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Phage is correct, its a jet engine contrail.

First, the trail is obviously under a cloud deck of what look to be cirroStratus clouds which don't form over 40,000 ft or so in altitude. By the time a meteor of the size quoted in the article is in the troposphere (small, 20 inch diameter), it has lost its forward momentum due to drag and is falling straight down towards the ground at a terminal velocity of only a couple of hundred mph.

The object in the photo is clearly travelling relatively parallel to the ground which requires constant power for anything under a few tons of mass due to aerodynamics.

Secondly, the photos are either from different photographers or the object makes a 45 degree course change. Coincidently there is a 45 degree jog at the end of the trail in the third photo. Taken by itself high altitude winds could be responsible for the jog in the second photo but the first picture confirms that the heading of the object has changed .

Third, you can clearly see the trail is split in the first photo which is consistent with what is observed with contrails from multiple aircraft engines.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/36e1686ecd3c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08c42e655671.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d4932b8e4ed.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 21-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

It's a jet contrail.

Most definitively...

second

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
And the planetary expert who said this was a meteor was a dumb nut then?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join