It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DVD playback problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hi,
I'm having difficulty playing a DVD I just purchased-Here is the specs of my computer:

Acer Inspire 5517
DVD Drive:Optiarc (up to date firmware)

A recent DVD I bought will not be recognized by the DVD drive (D
. Other dvd's play without issue.

What I have tried already:
Upgraded firmware on DVD drive
Uninstalled Drive
Unistalled/Reinstalled Drive
Multiple other DVD software players (My default is CyberLink PowerDVD player 8, updated firmware).

Miraculously, and I honestly I don't know how it happened, I popped it in after numerous attempts and it played once. Once I closed the DVD player software, the drive again will not recognize the DVD.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcome--thank you for your time!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Windows vista and to a lesser extent windows 7 suffer the same issue.

Although i cant remember the kb bug article number, microsoft does have a bug number for this and an auto tool to fix the issue.

My better half had the issue and the auto fix tool does work. . . For a little while at least.
Then the problem came back again and removed the dvd drive and the printer.
I very much doubt this is a hardware issue as booting up from a linux cd actually works.

Basicly the issue is to do with windows running out of allocation id numbers for hardware and cannot assign a new evice to a new id number.
So if you have had lots of hardware plugged in and out of a computer overthe operating systems life (usb pendrives etc) then this problem will happen.
Windows doesnt really lend itself for a long time operating system does it?
Sorry i cannot provide a link to the MS article but just search for windows no longer sees dvd drive and you will find it.
Hope it helps

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Try downloading VLC Media Player from here:

www.videolan.org...

Then when you put the DVD in, right-click on the DVD drive and select "Play with VLC Media Player" and you should be in business.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Thanks to the both of you. I have tried both options (unplugging all USB didn't work) and the VLAN software would not work because when I insert the DVD it does not read it, hence it does not let me select the drive. Instead I get the error message to insert a DVD.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JKF1897

That has happened to me on some occasions, mostly with DVDs I had recorded on my own computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to that problem, although, sometimes, changing to a different DVD and then back to the one I want to read works.

PS: do you have any CD/DVD emulator, like Virtual Clone Drive or MagicISO?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by JKF1897

That has happened to me on some occasions, mostly with DVDs I had recorded on my own computer. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to that problem, although, sometimes, changing to a different DVD and then back to the one I want to read works.

PS: do you have any CD/DVD emulator, like Virtual Clone Drive or MagicISO?

I do not. Nor do I burn CDs or DVD's from this drive. I've come to the conclusion that basically the DVD (Boston Bruins 2011 Stanley Cup) is so protected from being burned is the reason why I cannot play it. I did, like I stated before get it to play once, but I'm really fed up with this. It wouldn't play either on an old 2002 DVD player either, which leads me to believe the makers of the DVD are being too protective of copy-write issues.
I did confirm my DVD D: drive is working, as multiple other DVD's played without issue.

I Ran the windows help program, which did not work.

edit on 20-8-2011 by JKF1897 because: additonal info

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JKF1897

Some years ago, Sony made some CDs that were not really CDs, they had a specific protection that prevented them from being considered normal CDs, so they didn't even use the official CD logo. Those CDs also came with a program that installed itself, hidden from the user, in Windows, to allow only their player to play the CD, and when this was discovered they had to provide a method of removing the program and stop using it.

Does that DVD has the official DVD logo? If it doesn't then it may use a similar method.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Do you have any other DVD players you can try that DVD in? If not, maybe a friend's house? If that DVD drive in your computer is a few years old, it may just either need to be cleaned or could be on its way out.

First thing to do is test the DVD out on another/couple DVD players to make sure the DVD itself works.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Do you have any other DVD players you can try that DVD in? If not, maybe a friend's house? If that DVD drive in your computer is a few years old, it may just either need to be cleaned or could be on its way out.

First thing to do is test the DVD out on another/couple DVD players to make sure the DVD itself works.

I did try the DVD in question on two other DVD players and it worked fine (along with my friends Xbox 360).

I did test my DVD player drive on my computer and it is indeed reading and playing other DVD's without issue. Any additional help/ideas etc is welcomed and again thank you for attempting to help me!

new topics

top topics

join