It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASMR (Or Rather, That Ecstatic Head Tingle)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
www.asmr-research.org

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_Sensory_Meridian_Response

anti-valentine.hubpages.com/hub/ASMR

How many people here experience this? For the longest time I just assumed it was normal, when it seems as if it is nothing of the sort.

Thoughts?
Theories?
Triggers?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

I have exp. it many times I assumed it was a throw back to our animal instincts like the opposite of the fear feeling that comes over the whole body or the get the heck out of the situation and the ever so confusing feeling of accedent avoidence we have ( its when you sence it before and avoid it it is the weirdest feeling of all imo).

That or maybe I was bitten by a radioactive spider.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
That's it? Anybody else?

Well dang, I didn't know it was THAT uncommon........

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

now, is this like getting a chill up your spine - or down your spine, as the term goes.

or is this more like a buzzing vibrating tingling through the whole body?

cause i commonly get both,

the buzzing vibrating tingling through my whole body especially the skin, i usually get if i am awaken suddenly from deep sleep.

the chill up your spine feeling i know bout everyone gets,

theres another thing i could mention but i doubt this is it,

i sometimes blackout but not before getting the full body buzz my mind goes totally blank and for a minute or so i feel as though im practically dead, i have no comprehension of existing but have some very vague faint recognition it is occurring, then i slowly 'wake back up' and while i slowly wake back up the full body buzz hits me more intensely then any other time ever, and buzz's my head around to and i really mean around i feel like my mind and my perspective of consciousness is wobbling and weaving and vibrating buzzing intensely. this really only happens when i get a head rush that is tooo intense, caused by standing up to fast or holding my breath while standing up to fast.

ive noticed being dehydrated worsens it

have i missed the mark and this sensation in the OP is something else entirely?

edit on 8/20/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

If you get it, I think you would know it. This is MUCH more than just "chills." I'm not too sure what it IS, but a theory is that it has to do with the release of endorphins. Put very simply, it is awesome.

Just check out the links I posted - particularly the comments section of the blog. There's also plenty of stuff on this to be found on YouTube.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

This happens to me when I watch someone make a piece of art...like...painting or drawing a portrait.

I briefly skimmed over the wiki entry, which says just about the same thing as the website/research link. I don't see anything that says that it is uncommon, though. Surely this must be pretty common.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by idunno12
reply to post by Bleak

This happens to me when I watch someone make a piece of art...like...painting or drawing a portrait.

Yep, that'll do it.

I briefly skimmed over the wiki entry, which says just about the same thing as the website/research link. I don't see anything that says that it is uncommon, though. Surely this must be pretty common.

The general consensus seems to be that not too many experience it. Just check out discussions on this; time and time again you'll hear things like "I used to tell people about this..... Finally I just gave up trying because nobody ever had any idea what I was going on about and they just looked at me like I was crazy."

EDIT: Here are some videos.

A "trigger" video (if you do not experience ASMR, this could come off as pretty strange).

edit on 21-8-2011 by Bleak because: Added videos.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Wow, I know that feeling! I had never given any thought to how or why it happens, but now that you mention it, I want to know all about it!

Honestly, I can't remember having it happen in a while. Probably has something to do with the stress I've been experiencing lately, but thinking back, one time that really stands out was when I was sitting outside watching the stars on a very dark, clear night. It had been a while since I had taken the time to just unwind like that and I remember that... feeling (for lack of a better word) came over me and I thought it was the oddest thing, but it was nice!

I need to try to experience that again. I watch the stars so often now that I'm not sure that would do it for me anymore, but maybe there's something else.

Thanks for posting this! If you hadn't, I never would have given it a second thought.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak

Originally posted by idunno12
reply to post by Bleak

A "trigger" video (if you do not experience ASMR, this could come off as pretty strange).

edit on 21-8-2011 by Bleak because: Added videos.

that actually helped me alot to comprehend what sensation this is referring to, yeah i get it, but i suspect i dont get it as intense as the people who are being made examples of.

just watching that video i can feel it, hard to explain, just an acute heightening of sensory perceptions, i see what they mean about starting at the top of the scalp/skull

edit on 8/21/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

I suppose it could be theorized that most if not all people are capable of experiencing it, but for these people it's too slight or infrequent to even be noticed; while others experience a much stronger form of it for some unknown reason.

reply to post by gemineye

You're very welcome, ma'am.
I must say that the stargazing thing is new to me; then again, triggers can certainly be rather individualized.

How's this?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Wow, I get this a lot, thanks for posting the info. Mine is usually with soft gentle contact to my head, ears, or neck; also when inspired by music or a strong feeling of agreeing with something viewed or listened to, be it a message or undertone that stands for peace, love, unity, standing up for what is just, etc. with the rarity being it just happening for an unknown reason or trigger.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I really thought about this for a while...watched some of the videos, and then promptly fell asleep! Whether or not this has anything to do with that I don't know, but I do think I've experienced something similar to this, albeit rarely. It happens when I'm writing and really enjoying a scene, or when I go to the hairstylist and get my hair washed. Weird, I know, but I heard those could be triggers too. Anyhow, I never really asked anyone about it. For some odd reason I just figured everyone felt that way during certain things that they really enjoyed. I never thought of myself or the 'really nice feelings of peace' as being anything more than normal and an experience everyone had. Guess they don't?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Basically this sounds like a form of spiritual energy or kundalini.
I feel them as chills, shaking of the spine, and when far out,
mudras,
when i take my blood pressure meds which
poisons me, they stop.
It is also possible to hear a cliking in the brain due to the
flow of spinal fluid.

Spiritual hypotheses on the reason and cause of ASMR include:

Kundalini
Spiritual awakening
Energy dispersion or blockage
"Kriyas are spontaneous, involuntary physical movements. They are frequently jerks and twitches, but can also be vocalizations like sudden laughter or weeping, or the blurting out of words or other sounds. These spontaneous eruptions are caused by a surge of kundalini (life force) energy, and they occur most often during meditation and other spiritual practices - so this perfectly fits the pattern of experience you describe.

When we begin to awaken spiritually, new kundalini energy is released from our root chakras and begins to travel throughout our beings. In order for this greater energy to flow through, our energetic channels have to expand to accommodate it. If we are carrying any blocks or impediments to this stronger flow, this is when they will become apparent."

edit on 24-8-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

does your head feel like staticish if thats a word
i get that when im in the gym
i also get this other feeling we say someone has just walked
over your grave where every hair on my body stands on end

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yes I've had the feeling, its like a burst of ecstasy, I remember thinking thoughts of love at the time. It's happened on multiple occasions although I cannot specifically remember them all

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I honestly thought everyone must experience this feeling at one time or the other. I have ALWAYS had this feeling. It is especially strong when another person has physical contact with my head, neck or facial area, such as massage or at the hairdresser. I also experience it when I listen to beautiful music, or the sounds of nature. Beauty in just about any venue can elicit this response.

I am a bit taken aback that this could be a rare occurrence.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

I experience this. For me it's like there's a brief instant where the whole world opens to me. Like I am suddenly filled with energy and goodness. For a brief instant I feel like I am on top of the world and can do absolutely anything.

Most of it fades quickly, but it leaves me with a feeling of inner peace that can last an hour or so. I wish I knew what exactly triggers it because it's really quite pleasant.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure I'm thinking of the same thing, here... but I can voluntarily "tingle" various nerves and nerve clusters in my body - usually by starting in my head first. I only wish it indicated I could DBZ it up.

Generally, I focus on the back of my eyes, and 'build' a tingling sensation in my head - which usually builds in my forearms as well. The phenomena has only gotten more intense as I've gotten older - though it is completely voluntary.

The only thing close to involuntary is my ability to trigger a reflexive-twitch in my back voluntarily (as though a feather or hair is tickling my back) - which can sometimes be hard to bring back under control, since my back tends to be hyper-sensitive after that reflex is triggered.

I've often wondered if other people could do that, but never really asked the question much. Not only is it difficult to describe, I also get a lot of "you watch way too much anime" looks. I always figured that, because it was an 'on demand' type phenomena, it was neurological in nature and likely shared by everyone.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the new replies, y'all!

Just to try to better explain this, it's perhaps not so much a "tingle" as it is a gentle pulse in the cranium, a warm surge that ebbs and flows. As if a warm blanket of energy has been wrapped around the brain, contracting and releasing. This my sound a bit distressing but again, it is actually very pleasant, and simply the most relaxing feeling imaginable.

reply to post by randomtrickpony

You do seem to experience this, from what I can gather. As for how common this is, I'm not too sure; we need a poll feature here on ATS.

reply to post by RRokkyy

There are indeed spiritual theories regarding this, but they don't necessarily seem feasible in my opinion. Then again, who knows.....

reply to post by philware

Like static, you say? I suppose that's a fair assessment. But again, this has nothing to do with chills.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BearTruth

I'd say that you're lucky, as your triggers seem to be rather well-rounded (is that the term I'm looking for?).

"Beauty in just about any venue can elicit this response" - what can I say, I find those words intriguing.

reply to post by BriggsBU

Not entirely sure I'm following you, tbh. What you describe sounds great, but....huh?

reply to post by Aim64C

What.....?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join