It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Rick Perry has many ideas about how to change the American government's founding document. From ending lifetime tenure for federal judges to completely scrapping two whole amendments, the Constitution would see a major overhaul if the Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate had his druthers.
from www.yahoo.com

Rick Perry on yahoo.com

Some of the things he wants to change would be for the better, others not so much. for one getting rid of the federal income tax would be good in some ways and bad in other ways. good thing about it we would have more money on out pay checks. bad things, well how would that hurt the US economy by not having the extra money to throw away. would it make state taxes, and if so by how much?

Getting our government to balance its budget every year would be one of the smartest things we could ever do as a country. why dont we do thing already? we would be in a way better position financially and i dont think we would have as many lower income house holds.

i would rather have Ran Paul as president but i thought this was an interesting bit to read.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It is extremely difficult to change the Constitution. I don't think he has any issue that would be considered important enough to warrant a change that people will agree with.

It was almost impossible just for women to get the right to vote since getting enough States to agree to it turned out to be very difficult.

Just because you become President doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with the Constitution.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
God help us if this globalist gets his hands on our sacred document.

I don't think there's much more that can be said.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

i agree it would never happen, it is kinda entertaining to see someone thinking they can change something that is almost set in stone.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
from the OP article

"[A]llow Congress to override the Supreme Court with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate, which risks increased politicization of judicial decisions, but also has the benefit of letting the people stop the Court from unilaterally deciding policy," he writes.

not just no, hell no!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer
from the OP article

"[A]llow Congress to override the Supreme Court with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate, which risks increased politicization of judicial decisions, but also has the benefit of letting the people stop the Court from unilaterally deciding policy," he writes.

not just no, hell no!!!!

Exactly. We have separation of powers for a reason.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

This would never pass. It's a fundamental change to how our country works and as the abover poster says, it will upset the check and balance.

Had this been in place during FDR he would have had alot more legislation passed since he had the support of the Congress and the people for a time. The Supreme Court was the only one that stood between him having to compromise or him being King of America.

This is so beyond dangerous it's hard to imagine.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It would be nice if we could get rid of all taxation of income, and have just a flat percentage tax on expenditures(sales tax). Taxing income creates disincentives to generate income, and incentives to conceal income. And I'm tired of the class wars caused by sliding scale taxes. If everyone--regardless of size of paycheck and size of bank account--paid the same flat percentage in sales tax only, it would be fair...and we can stop this poor vs. middle class vs. rich crap.

But that shouldn't require changes to the Constitution. What amendments are you claiming he wants to get rid of, specifically?

I'm all for rolling back the 17th. We're supposed to be a Republic, dammit.
edit on 8/19/2011 by Tsurugi because: BBCode

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NISMOALTI

Last year when Rick Ferry attended the builderberg I told a lot of people that he would be a presidential contender on account of that. Now, a year later, everyone has forgotten what I said and many people are excited that a conservative "christian" is running. The dummies believe that Perry will set the nation back on the right course. Where there be so much DUMB...DOOM can't be far behind.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Alright it is fair to let everyone here know my position with Rick Perry. I do not like him, I do not trust him, and he makes me sick even hearing his voice. He is the type of person I would not trust mowing the White House lawn let alone running the country. Moving on…

1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

Why does Rick Perry want to do that? Simple, this is retaliation for Roe v. Wade and all the other court decisions that were deeply unpopular at the time. This has been a long standing tradition of Southern politics dating back to the founding of our Republic. The Democratic-Republican Party, with Jefferson as its leader, was deeply opposed to the Courts seeing them as a threat to our liberty whereas the Federalists viewed the Courts as defenders of our liberty from unregulated emotion and corrupt politics.

I do not want judges elected as that will mean they cannot do their jobs of deciding upon the Constitution and other important laws if they face retaliation from an angry public every few years. So many important decisions would never have been made throughout these centuries had judges been held accountable to the people.

2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

Congress was not given that authority for a reason, Mr. Perry, they are an easily corrupted and bought out bunch who are not to make decisions about the constitutionality of things. They are not judges; they make the law not interpret it, so this is a completely asinine idea where once again the law is held hostage to the whims of ignorant politicians and the emotionally driven masses.

I want the Courts to have more power whereas Mr. Perry believes it should be vested in the Congress, something the founders made quite clear they disagreed with.

3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.

… And? What do you propose we use as an alternative source of revenues? I think you are just making things up as you go along. If the Federal government cannot lay and collect taxes domestically then how will they provide funds for your education for illegal aliens, funding for the military industrial complex, and the other pet projects you would never get rid of? Unless you plan on scrapping 90%+ of government this is a pipe dream.

It can be done though; we can eliminate the 16th amendment and still collect revenue. But not once have I heard Rick Perry propose imposing import tariffs on goods or even ending free trade. So this is the biggest load of crap he has said as of yet.

4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.

I actually wholeheartedly agree with him on this issue but it still raises red flags. He brings up the issue that this is what the founders what while at the same time stripping language out of the constitution from the founders on the issue of courts. You cannot pick and choose which parts of the constitution you want to uphold as “this is what the founders wanted” while trying to strip away something you do not want. The original intent of the Constitution is not for you to pick and choose from.

5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

Great, we agree on this too, but once again red flags are raised. Perry obviously does not support ending our foreign campaigns but wants to require a balanced budget amendment. So can I take it that you are also opposed to any income tax increases? Of course you are… so you could easily use the language from the bill proposed this year in Congress to add a balanced budget amendment which would allow the amendment to be overridden in times of war. Is that not just grand? What better encouragement to continue our adventures overseas than doing so in order to spend, spend, spend!

6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

Since when did the Bill of Rights become the Bill of Restrictions? I do not want our Bill of Rights to have within it an amendment removing rights from anyone, even if I personally disagree with the act. Then he turns around and says he is for states’ rights while this bill would overturn any state law allowing gay marriage. But do not worry, this does not conflict with his philosophy, he still believes the amendment process should include the 3/4ths of the states, so long as 3 out of 4 states agree with the Feds they can override the rights of the other 1 out of 4 states.

7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

And there it is folks, the reason he has launched an all-out war on the courts, the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision. How dare they interpret the law separate to his religious beliefs… those bastards!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Hey, at least he's honest about it.

The way I see it, If you abuse it, you’re gonna lose it!.
If our leaders no longer defend and instead choose to view the Constitution as an obstacle, then perhaps it’s time to start looking at term limits for these abusers.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I could care less about any changes some backwoods moron wants to impose on the Constitution.

Why? It's simple. The special interests own the congressmen and judges. Voting is worthless, and expecting the law of this land to be upheld is an utter fantasy at this point.

The Constitution is a bunch of chickenscratch written on some old ass paper until a new government is established, one that is not being run by Goldman Sachs

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I might be ok with 1, 3 and 5 but i dont see anything happening without the consent of the people.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Seven ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution
This guy is leading in the polls? What happened America, where did we go wrong....

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Ricky Perry wants to establish a theocracy plain and simple or that's what he wants the GOP's base to think.Reading that article I cannot help but laugh the guy got vetted by the Builderbergers themselves.The changes to the Constitution he's proposing are coming from the Builderbergers and CFR members these are not his ideas at all.To put it bluntly Ricky is a piss-ant servant just like Obama.

new topics

top topics

join