It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vanguard Defense Industries Hacked By 'Anonymous'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Vanguard Defense Industries Hacked By 'Anonymous'

www.huffingtonpost.com

A Texas-based defense and aerospace firm says one of its top officials has had his email account broken into by the hacking group Anonymous.

Vanguard Defense Industries' chief executive Michael Buscher says messages have been stolen from the private Gmail account of Richard T. Garcia, a former FBI agent who now works as the company's senior vice president. Anonymous said in a statement it had pilfered 1 gigabyte of data – including personal information, internal meeting notes and several dozen counterterrorism documents which it claimed were marked "law enforcement sensitive" or "fo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well perhaps nothing valuable was stolen and perhaps it was. I doubt a high up in a defense contractor co. would keep highly sensitive stuff in his email, but I also thought they would be smarter (Heh) about security.

It was claimed that this was meant as a message to the 'hacker community' and for white hats and others to get prepared. I'm not sure if they have much to worry about but it seems many a company is being turned to laughing stalk with these skiddy attacks.

Maybe we will get some juicy info from the emails, it was about a gig and that is a fair amount of info to sift through.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

actually reading the emails
Some nice infos

Take a look on TPB , search FBI FRIDAY and VANGUARD , we uploaded the dox
We're seeding full speed

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So, when do we get tighter internet controls? That's the main goal of anonymous right?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
^ coming from a follower of 11:11, you would expect a more enlightening comprehension and insight.

Maybe I just took it as rude, but obviously the literal intention of anon is not to create new internet legislation, so approaching someone involved w/ the movement and theory so bluntly seems uncharacteristic of an enlightened soul...

Just saying, from an 11'r to another

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Enlightenme1111

That is not at all the goal and I suggest you research the topic more thoroughly if you are going to comment on it. It may end up that as a result of the groups actions, our freedom online will be restricted but that is not their goal. The goal is the opposite in fact.

I can understand people that worry about the groups 'attacks' having negative consequences for those not involved but come on, of course censorship is not the goal.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
About time someone did something about security issues with the internet, especially since companies are trying to push the whole Cloud system.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krystian
^ coming from a follower of 11:11, you would expect a more enlightening comprehension and insight.

Maybe I just took it as rude, but obviously the literal intention of anon is not to create new internet legislation, so approaching someone involved w/ the movement and theory so bluntly seems uncharacteristic of an enlightened soul...

Just saying, from an 11'r to another

I'm not trying to be rude or blunt - just honest. Perhaps you could sway my opinion and help me understand how their actions will benefit the common person. Where is the information they've attained that will help enlighten us?

edit on 19-8-2011 by Enlightenme1111 because: I sounded like an arrogant douche

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bdimi

Cloud computing in today's age of not securing anything is truly a disastrous idea. When we watch big business get hit like they have been, it is truly a wake up call. Don't trust anything online.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Law enforcement Sensitive emails on GMail.

Whats next? Stolen laptops?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Well in their defense I do think that a number of people have gotten wise to the fact that nothing is ever truly secure. I'm not always a fan of methods employed by the group but I think that they are helping the little guy feel more empowered. When not stealing his financial details anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
why is nobody asking how everything can be hacked over and over and over. we have been "trying" to strengthen internet security for how many years now? and the backdoor is always left wide open?

this says standdown. this says rat trap. this says "come at me bro"
and why, if they cannot make a decent firewall would people ever fall for an "internet 2.0?"
because they are pissed about losing their precious facebook info

you are not godly hackers.... you are being let in, so you can be used later.
r-tards
edit on 19-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

ight, and not just the little guys, but the "young guys" that never got to go to an ivy league school that still want to prove that their voice matters.

but the problem is that its too easy to destroy/defame/frame them. or just take the group an entirely new route. familiar, right?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
same situation as wiki leaks....it's a setup

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GenerationXisMarching
why is nobody asking how everything can be hacked over and over and over. we have been "trying" to strengthen internet security for how many years now? and the backdoor is always left wide open?

this says standdown. this says rat trap. this says "come at me bro"
and why, if they cannot make a decent firewall would people ever fall for an "internet 2.0?"
because they are pissed about losing their precious facebook info

you are not godly hackers.... you are being let in, so you can be used later.
r-tards
edit on 19-8-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

Everything can be hacked because it is made by humans and humans are not perfect and nether are their creations nothing will ever be unhackable there will always be a way to exploit a system for fun or profit it is just some are easier than others exploit.

Albert Einstein quote

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”

edit on 19-8-2011 by BinaryG because: add quote

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

That is not at all the goal and I suggest you research the topic more thoroughly if you are going to comment on it. It may end up that as a result of the groups actions, our freedom online will be restricted but that is not their goal. The goal is the opposite in fact.

I can understand people that worry about the groups 'attacks' having negative consequences for those not involved but come on, of course censorship is not the goal.

It may not be their goal, but consider this analogy. Before driving while drunk was a crime. If a group of people who were promoting the goal of "we should be able to drink and drive, it's not THAT dangerous unless you consume WAY too much" started driving around drunk beyond comprehension smashing into things, they'd force into being legislation that outlaws driving drunk. Same concept; it makes little sense.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

"I doubt a high up in a defense contractor co. would keep highly sensitive stuff in his email,"

the question you should be asking is WHY would a defense contractor company use GMail, of all things, in the first place?!? Smells like a set up to me.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
yeah, why in the sam hill would he have a gmail account?! gmail is for people that can't afford the internet in the first place. ISPs provide an email address associated with the ISPs name. bizarro.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Perhaps because webmail allows someone to have a constant email address despite changing ISPs? Or because of mailbox and attachment size limitations?

I have an ISP but use webmail, and just about everyone else I know does. I find it surprising that you find it surprising that he had a gmail account!

Re the hack, anything that shines a light on military contractors is a good thing imo. I personally believe there's far too much corruption in those areas of industry.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
reply to post by undo

Perhaps because webmail allows someone to have a constant email address despite changing ISPs? Or because of mailbox and attachment size limitations?

I have an ISP but use webmail, and just about everyone else I know does. I find it surprising that you find it surprising that he had a gmail account!

Re the hack, anything that shines a light on military contractors is a good thing imo. I personally believe there's far too much corruption in those areas of industry.

hi the stev... about your webmail and everyone else you know that uses it - are they defense contractors? or does your job or their job require any kind of government security clearance? every corporation or municipal corporation or government agency i have ever worked for strictly prohibited the use of webmail. i work in legal, and due to the sensitive nature of some of the information i deal with as well as the fact that it is predominantly what we call in the legal profession "privileged," the rules for electronic communication have always been very strict everywhere i have ever worked (outside of small private law firms, who dont care if you create a webmail account to exchange discovery requests or set depos etc. if they do not already provide email). At a few places i worked, including GE and Allstate, use of webmail such as hotmail and gmail to send company emails would get you fired. I have even had to sign Use of Electronic Communication Agreements with the companies i have worked for - even as a contract employee. I would think that there is a reason why those companies do not want their information and emails out there sitting around on some webmail server. I would think that a defense contractor would use an email program that was a little more secure than GMail.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join