It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Tons of Flax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is my latest song, and it was inspired by this board, the 11:11 phenomena, Babylon and the Flood, Eclipse Phase (RPG pnp game of Transhumanism / Horror), H.P. Lovecraft, Philip K Dick, William S Burroughs, Discordianism, David Bowie and Nirvana. Whew! What a mouthful. Ok -- on to the song!

Soundcloud "Secret" Link: soundcloud.com...

FIVE TONS OF FLAX

Every thirty one hundred and twenty five years or so
The Bozo Brigade and their whores all have a go
At running the whole damn thing in the dirt
To see how far down it can go
….And then they trade it all in on the backs of
A billion lost souls

Well – This is a SHOUT OUT to all of my friends in the Mesh
From Aji Gabbaro to Denny Koresh – and the rest
Too stubborn to quit and – too dumb to learn
We stare at the fire while the whole world burns

For FIVE – TONS OF FLAX we can trade it all in
On the last big bang 'fore the clocks
Go to zero – again

RISE RISE
Lift your eyes to the skies
And cash in your chips while the whole world dies
Tonight

Now its thirty one hundred and twenty five years down the HOLE
and the Bozo Brigade and their whores are still runnin' the show
They're DRIVIN' the whole damn thing off the tracks
To see how far down – it can go
….Before they trade it back in on the backs of a billion NEW souls

Now this is a SHOUT OUT to all of my friends in the Mesh
and every Bio-Morph Skin job who never sold out to the ‘PLEX
To all the Infonaut soldiers with – cold mirror stares
Who never bow down and DON’T say their prayers
We don't say our prayers

RISE RISE
Raise your eyes to the simulated skies
And GRIND for more E-X-P while the universe dies

RISE RISE
Strap your shells to a Paradox Drive
And Aim for the next BIG BANG while the universe dies

--For five tons of Flax--
--We’re gonna take it all back--
It’s thirty one hundred and twenty five years
For billions in bodies and trillions in tears
For five tons of Flax -- but don’t take it too far
And remember to aim for the prettiest star
--We want the prettiest star--
--We want the prettiest star--

RISE RISE
Raise your eyes to the simulated skies
And – play in the sun – while the universe dies

Thanks for reading / listening!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
That is a nice song/poem/short story. All three work.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Man that is some smooth sheet...well done sir.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thank you both, TDawgRex and ChaoticOrder for taking a look / listen. I really appreciate it!
edit on 19-8-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I agree with the others. Very good song.

Could you explain the meaning behind it?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Thanks for listening! I am happy to *try* to explain, though there are multiple layers of meaning here, and I doubt that even I understand them all completely (that's the nature of my lyrical process).

First off: I am fascinated by the 11:11 phenomena. I don't necessarily believe that there is a -supernatural component to it, but I have "seen" 11:11 (as well as 5, 11, 17, 23, 25 and 27) since I was a young child, so I enjoy playing with numbers in my writing. 1111 BC* was "roughly" 3125 years ago (which is why I qualify the line with "or so....") and the numbers in 3125 add up to 11. I repeat the line 3 times in the song, which equals 33 (also a highly prized number in occult / conspiracy circles) and also can be said to "add up" to 11:11:11, which has special resonance this year, as it is an actual date. Because most of the music I am writing for this particular project has a strong "end of the world" (one way or another!) theme, I chose to encode the "date" within the story of the song as 11:11:11. I doubt anyone -- outside of ATS -- would catch the reference, but it's there for those that "look" for that sort of thing.

Beyond the secular numerology present in that line, there are other references to some rather large numbers. When added up, these equal roughly 1/3 of our present population. Take from that what you will. The song is basically about a power struggle between "the powers" (the Bozo Brigade / TPTB) and the "Infonauts" (those who embrace technology, but refuse to worship it or create a superstition of it). They live in an augmented reality called "The Mesh" which comprises what you and I would call, the "Internet" as well as the artificial habitats and enclosures which make up the bulk of the meat-space in which the infonauts roam, under the watchful eyes of the Bozo Brigade. In this dystopian tech obsessed universe, even the sky is a simulation, and EXP has two meanings. It is both the object of every gamers obsessive play, and the much sought after "enhanced experiences" (as a digital record) that the masses clamor for and which the wealthy and famous live out, and record for the consumption of the lower classes.

Shells are the temporary bodies in which living beings work and play in hostile environments -- like space. BioMorphs are designer meatsacks, shed like expensive clothing, and programmed to take the place of our frail, natural, human bodies. Think of these as Egos with designer bodies. "The 'Plex" is shorthand for corporate controlled military and / or social forces which monitor every human soul, from birth to death.

The middle 8 is a rallying cry for independence from the Bozo Brigade and their 'Plex. Both the titular "Five Tons of Flax" and the "Prettiest Star" are pure Discordianism, which survives as an alternative to the Corporate Surveillance State. It feeds the ego while -- at the same time -- offering a way out of the rat race of a futuristic information-based overculture that controls every aspect of life, for profit.

All of it is pure metaphor, and when I sing it -- I am definitely singing it to the current moment, though it totally works as a cyberpunk rockerboy anthem.

I hope that helps! Thanks again for listening and for your interest in the lyrics! Most people seem to care less for the lyrics in particular, so its fun and refreshing to meet someone who wants to dig in, even for a minute.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Final Version of the Song is HERE:

soundcloud.com...

I'm sorry about the first post -- it wouldn't let me edit in the corrected URL. =/

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
Final Version of the Song is HERE:

soundcloud.com...

I'm sorry about the first post -- it wouldn't let me edit in the corrected URL. =/

Wow, you definitely have talent. I hope you are going to be a Star soon. With songs like that you will do well.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Thank you very much! Honestly -- I'd settle for selling a song, or placing one in a low budget film, but every listen is a net+ in my book!

top topics

join