It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Madden Curse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
We all know pro-athletes are some of the most superstitious people out there, but is there maybe something to this?

The Madden curse

You may have heard of this. Basically, each year, EA selects a promising, well-known player for the Madden cover, A popular football video game. For the past four years, the player to front the game has seen their career suffer.

The Madden cover boys.

2001 Eddie George
2002 Daunte Culpepper
2003 Marshall Faulk
2004 Michael Vick

Note: Before 2001, John Madden Football did not have NFL players on its cover. It just had a picture of John Madden himself.

The curse started four years ago with Tennessee running back Eddie George. Coming into the season, he was one of the leading forces in the Titans lineup and many expected him to lead the team to its second straight Super Bowl. Instead, he had his worst season ever, averaging just three yards per carry. And, naturally, he was injured several times in the season, including a brutal hit in the 2001 post season.

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper? He fronted Madden in 2002 and wasn't much luckier. His cover-gracing season ended early, with a knee injury against Chicago.

2003's cover boy Marshall Faulk of the St. Louis Rams didn't fare much better. Coming off his seventh 1,000 yard season, Faulk � and the Rams - seemed untouchable. Faulk injured his ankle, missed six games and the Rams didn't last long in the playoffs.

Then Michael Vick 2004 cover boy, who graced Madden's cover last year. He was on a roll coming into the year, having set four NFL records in the 2002 season and established a reputation as one of the games' most electrifying players. Early in the 2003 pre-season, Vick broke his leg in the first quarter of a game against, ironically enough, the Baltimore Ravens.

Now the 2005 Madden is out who was brave enough to face this curse and grace the cover this year?

2005 Ray Lewis

"To be on the cover of Madden NFL 2005 is the ultimate honor," said Lewis in a statement. "With the focus on defense in the game this year, I knew it was my chance."

A team spokesman said the Ravens were well aware of the purported "curse" and added, that Lewis would be up to the added challenge.

Any game cover is incredible exposure for an athlete � and the game Lewis is representing just happens to be a consistent best seller. "Madden NFL 2004" sold more than 5 million copies.

One time thats just Bad luck twice thats a coincidence, now three and four is their something too this? What does everyone think a real curse our just superstition.

Also do you think a fate like that of the others awaits Ray Lewis this year?

www.usatoday.com...

fantom1979.homeip.net...

[edit on 19-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't know about any curses, but I think that the hit stick has got to be one of the best-ever EA Inventions.

PURE GENIUS!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yharrrg.... PC people have to wait till September for Madden 2005... by then Ray Lewis will be injured....

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
well, if there is anything to this, the person on the 2005 cover is okay with me... so long...

*thinking* I hope he doesn't put any Steelers on the cover next year...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Sorry but I had too.

They have to bee good to be on the cover.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by elevatedone

Sorry but I had too.

They have to bee good to be on the cover.

Heeyyy.... my Steelers resemble that remark...

seriousy, good...

let's see, Hines Ward, right up there as possibly the best receiver in the game right now....

don't go throwing Randy Moss in there either... he's good, but not that good...

anyways... good one SC..

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Randy Moss? Did he get traded, Its news to me that he is on the Bengals. lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I almost wonder if this isin't a case of a self-fufilling prophecy rather than an actual curse. I could see players being pissed that someone who they think didn't deserve the cover making it on and going after them in particular as a sort of vendetta. We have all seen how swollen the egos of sports starts can get, and I wouldnt put a little old-world style retribution past some of them.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
alternateheaven interesting view on the subject.

On a side note about the brutal hit on Eddie George (the first cover boy) in the 2001 post season that injured him. He he was hit that time by none other then Ray Lewis the current cover boy

Maybe its all comming full circle now

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's all good elevated one. I'm with you, IF our Steelers ever get good enough, I hope they are never featured.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

On a side note about the brutal hit on Eddie George (the first cover boy) in the 2001 post season that injured him. He he was hit that time by none other then Ray Lewis the current cover boy

thats my ray if any one can defeat the curse he can.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
well ray lewis will get injured or suspeneded. i hear ESPN is better. plus its cheaper.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

thats my ray if any one can defeat the curse he can.

Ray seems to have no fear in the curse. I have heard that he was not the first asked to do the cover and that it was turned down by a couple people first. I can believe that to because this is the first time a defensive player was on the cover.

I hope he breaks it so we dont get stuck with Madden on the cover next year

Oh yeah ESPN sucks Madden is the football champ

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
well ray lewis will get injured or suspeneded. i hear ESPN is better. plus its cheaper.

I hope the curse goes over to ESPN Football. I hate T.O.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
NEWS: as of tonight Ray Lewis still has not been injured, it wont be long, but if he's lucky he might make it to the regular season. hey he didn't have to be on the cover

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So what year were the Cardinals on the cover? 'Cause they have been sucking for like the last, I don't know... half century.

Best thing they ever did was get rid of Jake Plummer. Well good for Jake Plummer anyway.

top topics

join