It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold has finally smashed through the $US1800 barrier !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but I'm now seriously regretting not having heeded "predictions" that the price of gold was going to skyrocket ... really kicking myself hard now as I should have bought up big then

Just checked the price of gold and it's at $US1,812 per ounce.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a38382879043.jpg[/atsimg]

In fact, just over the last 12 month period, gold has increased in value by an astonishing $US600 per ounce and shows no immediate signs of slowing down any time soon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01cc327c3fe8.jpg[/atsimg]

So what does this continuing meteoric rise in the value of gold tell us about the state of the financial global economy ? Obviously investors are flocking to the precious metals market like never before !

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
When u have time; this video is very informitive

Debt Collapse - The Case For $20,000 Gold:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfrat
When u have time; this video is very informitive

Debt Collapse - The Case For $20,000 Gold:

www.youtube.com...

Thanks for that link ... will watch it asap.

But a predicted $US20,000 per ounce gold price ? I'm not sure if that's completely and utterly mind-boggling to contemplate - or just plain scary ... perhaps a bit of both

I can see gold continuing to rise for the foreseeable future ... but all the way up to $US20,000 ???

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
if it continues to grow and the economies of the world continue to go how they are i dont see it being that unlikely in say 5-10 years maybe to get up around 20k an once.

will be a scary world to live in.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I guess we can see where money is running too.
I wonder what this trend will mean for the markets?
I know things are getting worse all round..
(The drip drip drip kind of worse that almost goes unnoticed until it is too late..)

All in all I guess I should turn off the computer and go have fun while I can.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wow ... this is just crazy !!!

Gold has now reached an all time high of $US1,820 per ounce.
Settled back slightly to $US1,815 now.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just follow this rule:

America in the toilet = gold & yen skyrockets

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I worked in the precious metals business for many years. I bought gold at $400/oz and silver at $8/oz. Yes, gold is making a nice move now and if you want to protect yourself from further paper currency depreciation you should buy gold. However, if you want to buy precious metals as an investment buy silver.

Before 1933 when we were using gold and silver as real money, twenty ounces of silver could buy you an ounce of gold. At the current prices it now takes approximately forty-five ounces of silver to buy an ounce of gold. Eventually, JP Morgan Chase and HSBC will lose their grip on the silver market. When that happens silver will rise in value very quickly and should outpace the gold rise by more than 100%.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This is great the mega rich have invested all their money in gold and now they will soon pull all the funds out and make multi-millions. While the poor sheeple loose all their investments in gold for buying in too late yay!

Honestly back when gold was under 600 was the time to buy now that its shot up the people investing now are too late in the game. In the next year or so it will all drop cause the top 1% of the ultra rich will sell sell sell.
Everyone else will lose money on this gold scheme. I have to hand it to them though they have been plugging gold for the last 10 years and now it will pay off.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I remember when it was at 700 an ounce a few years ago and all the predictions said it would be going up. I really contemplated buying up a few ounces... I was 19 and spending almost a whole pay check on a prediction would have been difficult to do. Sure would have paid off though... darn.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by anthbes
I remember when it was at 700 an ounce a few years ago and all the predictions said it would be going up. I really contemplated buying up a few ounces... I was 19 and spending almost a whole pay check on a prediction would have been difficult to do. Sure would have paid off though... darn.

Hey anthbes. But we also hear an abundance of bubble talk whenever Gold battles at key resistance levels. This dissuades some people from making sound investment decisions...at precisely the wrong time. Been that way for the past ten years. Last week was another classic example of this phenomenon after we failed to hold the first break above $1800. More silly top-callers seeped out the woodwork over the weekend than back in 2008/$1000. Tonight they're peeling another layer of egg off they're faces....but don't fret...sure as the sun sets in the west, they'll be back, and thank God, we need 'em. In a few years time when this market finally goes parabolic, these are the very people we'll be selling to

Whether from watching a Gold ad every 10min on CNBC, or from reading the concentrated issue of Gold related threads on an internet forum titled 'Global Meltdown'...one could mistakenly assume that a significant percentage of the general public is already in this market. Hardly the case. How many people do you personally know (family & friends) that own even a single oz, leave alone hold a substantial position ?

Case in point - I used to gently suggest Gold investment to certain family members...for years...no longer though, I gave up...tired of the subtle ridicule. Then, three days ago a cousin contacted me to ask where & how to purchase Gold. This fellow is about my age, retired also, a relatively high net worth individual, and traditionally very wise at handling his finances. When we discussed investment strategies back at Gold $500 and I recommended a minimum 20% allocation to physical PMs, he looked at me like I was plum, gone round the bend, stark raving loco....content he was to stay in long-term equities & cash. Well, the roiling markets of late coupled with our gubmnt dollar-devaluation-debt-strategy caused him to rethink his investment thesis. Now what he could have purchased at $500 is gonna cost him close to $2000 with premiums. At least he's on-board, and did I hesitate to get involved or offer encouragement with Gold trading at $1764 and all the top-callers out in force ? Not even.

Louise Yamada, a highly respected mainstream technical analyst with a proven track record is far from being a wild-eyed goldbug with an emotional bias for precious metals. If anyone is questioning whether it's too late in the cycle to 'get in', they might give a listen to her brief interview on CNBC a couple of days ago.

Link

And before someone suggests that tapped-out Americans won't be buying precious metals, let me remind you that there's an entire generation of folks my cousin's age and older, savers who own their homes and have substantial $ sitting in stocks & US treasuries. As even a small percentage of this investment capital finds it's way into the PM sector, things are really gonna move. People are waking up.

Is Gold subject to increasing volatility and periodic corrections ? Absolutely.

When everyone is yellin', you should be sellin'. When everyone is cryin', you should be buyin'.

Whee! This investment stuff is easy !

GL

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazrmau5

Smart money shafts dumb money. Happens all the time.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Question: What happens if it CRASHES???? And please, don't tell me that it "will never happen". It most certainly could. Then what?

How is gold...more valuable, than...let's say....FOOD?

Also, are people actually receiving GOLD, when they buy...or just a "piece of paper" that says they have gold? I think the "smart money" is on: PAPER. Why buy GOLD, when PAPER is just as good???

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

As long as the USD is in the toilet, gold won't crash anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Gold is in the midst of a long-term bull market. Thanks to the inflationary policies of central banks, gold will ultimately rise much higher.
But in the shorter term, gold looks prone for a big pullback. It’s been hitting new nominal highs during what’s traditionally its weak season.
Nothing moves up in a straight line. But over the past few weeks, that’s nearly all gold has done. Thanks to gold’s recent rise, insurance against a pullback is cheap right now.
The December $160 puts, currently trading for $2.85, offer cheap protection against the high likelihood of a gold pullback.

new topics

top topics

join