It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey connects teen sex and drugs...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
WASHINGTON (AP) -- It's not just a cliche: Sex and drugs often do go together, says a survey of U.S. teenagers.

Teens who say at least half their friends are having sex are more likely to report having tried marijuana, alcohol and cigarettes.

The annual survey, released Thursday, asked teens aged 12-17 about their use of illegal substances. Researchers then looked for other activities of daily life that were associated with such use.

www.cnn.com... .ap/index.html

Unlike other surveys, the one by the Columbia group did not ask teens about their own sexual activity, but asked them to estimate how many of their friends were sexually active. It was conducted this way because the ethical review board that oversees the center would not approve a direct question, said spokeswoman Lauren Duran.

The study found that the first group is:

More likely to have tried alcohol, 66 percent vs. 10 percent of those whose friends don't have sex.

More likely to have gotten drunk at least once in the past month, 31 percent vs. 1 percent.

More likely to have tried marijuana, 45 percent vs. 2 percent.

More likely to have tried cigarettes, 45 percent vs. 8 percent.

The survey also found that the more time teens spend with their boyfriends or girlfriends, the more likely they are to smoke, drink and use drugs.

WELL NO CRAP !! They actually had to spend money on this and take the time to do the phone survey... what a waste...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow... all that wasted time and money.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I tell you what, here in the south teens don't need the drugs and alcohol to engage in sex they do it out of boredom.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I tell you what, here in the south teens don't need the drugs and alcohol to engage in sex they do it out of boredom.

being from the south myself, I can second that emotion

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Wow...is this supposed to come as a surprise?
Lol, I think in highschool, for the most part, the two go hand in hand.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I'll take "the freakin obvious" for $500 Alex

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

yep, yep, having gone to high school in suburban Atlanta, thats what happens.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow, and how much money was wasted? I can't believe they didn't know this yet. How stupid can they be?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
We needed a study for this? What's the old saying...sex, drugs and Rock & Roll? I mean, sheesh, how many girls have given up their loins while drunk on a date, thats been happening since I don't know when.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Kidss always do the things that they're forbidden to do. Makes it more exciting for them...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
"Money for nothing
.....And the chicks for free..."

DeeVee: FUNNY!

Next: researchers establish a link between studying, and good grades.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Next: researchers establish a link between studying, and good grades.

No doubt!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This study is worse than paying for a study to find out if the government wastes money on pointless studies with obvious conclusions.

top topics

join