It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China forces surround monastery after monk burns himself to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
"Chinese forces have surrounded a monastery where a monk died after setting himself on fire, the AFP news agency reported Tuesday, with one monk saying food, water and power has been cut off.
The Tibetan Buddhist monk killed himself Monday in southwest China as he staged a protest calling for the return of the Dalai Lama, the exiled spiritual leader condemned by Beijing as a separatist, a group campaigning for Tibetan self-rule said."

www.msnbc.msn.com...

did a search for this and didn't see it on the site.

It seems the world and his mother are setting themselves on fire these days in protest. Its the 'in' thing at the moment.

This is not the first time this has happend with monks in Tibet. I am really fed up of this. And I am not fed up with the Chinese as you might expect. You know what the Chinese position is. I am fed up with the Dalai Lama. Really sick of him . I truly think he is a fraud. Why the hell has he not returned home. He must go back to Tibet and let the chips fall where they do.

He has travelled the world spreading his story, his beliefs , inspiring the world. Why has he not gone home. What is he afraid of? A man who understands the world as he is supposed should be afraid of nothing. Why is he not returning to where he is needed most. He could actually change the world if he returned home. I think he is too afraid to return home and I have no idea why?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
He's a pragmatist. He knows if he returned home he would be imprisoned. What good would he be able to do from a Chinese jail cell?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This could turn ugly fast. China is not like the U.K. The leaders will order the military to fire on their countrymen and then arrest them.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I can only imagine the pain experienced by the Tibetan people - to have such a profound leader exiled by an occupying force!

I will say though, albeit selfishly here from the West, that the Dalai Lama retiring from political leadership of Tibet-in-exile is very good for one reason: he has for a long time expressed his personal desire to focus himself in his meditation and spiritual practice. And looking around the world these days, he may be able to help us as a species much more from that state. In any case, he deserves to devote himself however he sees fit now. He has given the world so much.

top topics

join