It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iphoneography: Your Smart Phone Wants to Bond With You!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I guess I'm stating the obvious here, but smart phones are a quantum leap in technology fostering and heralding a unique increase in our overall sociological I.Q.

As a kid, Dick Tracy was still around in the Sunday comics and the one thing that fascinated me about O'l Dick was that fantabulous Two-Way Wrist Watch TV Communicator. Smart phones have delivered on that promise and much, much more.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6eff385bf3b7.jpg[/atsimg]

I've had an iphone for about 6 months now and as I peruse the apps and possibilities I'm becoming an autodidact--that is to say--schooling myself in a variety of new ways & old interests.

As a creative myself, I believe you can learn a lot about a person through their aesthetic expressions. So my hope in this OP is that I can get to know more about some of my fellow community members through your contributions here--comments and/or especially phone pics.

I also hope to encourage some closet creatives to go for it and at the same time hopefully share a few tips/techniques with some of you professionals out there.

I say iphoneography in the title because that's what I'm using, but this is about phone photography in general. Any phone-camera pics are welcome here.

I'm a professional videographer/editor/motion graphics guy, and that's where I feel most comfortable by far, but I dabble in still photography too.

It's always been my philosophy to shoot video like shooting stills: Each 30th of a second frame in itself a stand-alone composition.

And I say dabble because as similar as the two are, still & video, good still photography is fairly technically complex. I salute the masters of the still and stand in awe of their hard-earned skill. However, I also enjoy quick, spontaneous, and non-complex art at times and that's where phone photography comes in.

I discovered iphoneography by total accident when my awesome-American and fine human being of a father of 86 yrs had a heart attack and emergency quad-bypass surgery. The hospital is in Chattanooga an hour + away from our home. So myself, my daughter, and my niece rotated at the hospital and a nearby weekly efficiency for showers and naps.

The reason I mention all that is that my daughter and her fiance had iphones and they convinced me pretty easily that it was THE tool to keep us connected, organized, and master getting around the city with the least bit of hassle during this trying time.

It did indeed prove to be a God-send in many surprising ways to me and so was the overall outcome: We were sent a great & gifted surgeon who bonded with my dad & our family right away. Plus; my pop is a fighter so he's doing exceptionally well. We're blessed.

Pop with Daughter First Outing 6 Week Check-Up [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a17dc033f28.jpg[/atsimg]

I first started taking pics outside the hospital when I went out for a smoke break. It was just this past pre-Spring-come-early and the grounds and surrounding neighborhood are quite beautiful. My pop loves Spring and flowers and buds and birds so I decided to bring a little bit of the outside in to him.

Spring Blossoms [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a43a242ab6f.jpg[/atsimg]
Life in Microcosm [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7335a633f3fd.jpg[/atsimg]

He got a kick out of the pics and he really enjoyed the "flicking" action of scrolling through pics on the phone. Such a simple thing yet good medicine. I had to run home a few times and FaceTime was another gift because my pop got to see his beloved Ms. Kitty, well-wishes from some sweet old ladies from the thrift store he frequents, and various shots and pics of his plants and flowers…and I got to see him.

And it was good medicine for me too. I was able to get my "creative" fix and loosen up a tad on my fears and heartache for my pop.

Pop's Rose After Rain
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdfdc94740a7.jpg[/atsimg]

Ms. Kitty : Mys Job is Relax. I Do's Good Job! [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/140dbfa8815d.jpg[/atsimg]

I didn't even look iphoneography up until I decided to do this thread. I had seen the phrase and various shots around the web and Facebook but I didn't realize how popular--and advanced--it really was.

I just automatically gravitated to the photography category in the app store and downloaded different cameras and editing apps like a kid in the sci-fi candy store of my childhood dreams. The right editing apps and you're doing pretty much most of the things you would do in photoshop and generally in a less complicated manner.

I'm not looking to win any awards or sell any of these pics--although I have recently discovered their potential for my video work--but rather an immediate and satisfying spontaneity that scratches my creative itch.

Beetle's Final Repose [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e38d8f398a0.jpg[/atsimg]

One is the Loneliest Number [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ecddc8844bc0.jpg[/atsimg]

And as I inferred: for those of you who do motion graphics--or need them for your videos--iphoneography provides a very easy way to create original elements. Especially thematic background elements.

The following shot didn't come out as well as I had initially hoped due to the limitations of the small lens, but some minor adjustments and a filter and I suddenly had the idea that if the photo apps promise of full-size high-res saves was true I might have found a new tool in the toolkit for coming up--rather easily--with custom backgrounds and/or elements.

King Tassel Unedited [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ffd22864116c.jpg[/atsimg]

King Tassel Edited [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fed13941d099.jpg[/atsimg]

So, I did a test movie for my benefit and for this thread. I've heard it said that there's Art with a capital "A" and then there's art with a small "a." My meager attempt is surely a very teeny "a" but I have tried to put in something that most true--in my opinion--"A"rt has: A social conscience along with it's (hopefully) aesthetic allure. It's title is "King Tassel" and it's about Monsanto & GMO horrors for the most part but also touches on Ethanol in our gasoline and, oddly enough, a brief thought about "Anonymous."

I love our small farmers and am currently shooting/editing a long-form docu that farming plays a major part in. In addition I'm literally surrounded by GM corn here. Most of the background shots were taken within 50 yards of my home.

I needed to know how this technique would work out quality-wise on at least a TV size screen. So I would especially appreciate any of you who can and would be willing to watch it in 720 HD and at larger screen sizes than below and give me some feedback/opinions on how the iphone graphics hold up . Of course I had to compress it for the web (from 19 gigs to somewhere around 250 mb) but I'm hoping it still looks fairly good.

ALL the backgrounds in the following short were taken and edited on the iphone with free or very cheap apps. The movie itself was created in Apple's Motion--a very intuitive and surprisingly deep program for those of us that are never gonna specialize as a digital graphics artists but do a fair amount in our projects. Final editing was done in Final Cut Pro.

The best smart phone photography apps allow you to adjust "curves", that is; separate adjustments for brights, contrast, blacks, etc and also have filters that are adjustable so you can get the look that's right for you or your project.

Lots of sites out there. This one iphoneographycentral.com... looks particularly fun and useful with tutorials and such. Guess I'll start digging around more.

I hope to see some of your pics and/or tips here!! Thanks for stopping by.

And Now: King Tassel--A Short Film Rant

edit on 16-8-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
These are perfect examples of the good things that can come from iphones and ipod touches. I myself have found my iphone to give me an EXTENSIVE number of outlets for my creativity, especially the impact it has made on my music, I have made songs where most of the instrunments were from my iphone. This thread has reawakend my photographer inside, thank you GUT, ima go take some pictures now.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

This is an awesome thread.

The world has changed since I was but a spud myself. No, Ole Dick wasn't my cup of Tea but the original Star Trek was [In re-runs] These modern conveniences are awesome to an extent though.

Funny personal story...

I was driving with a friend of mine last spring home from a job. We were behind a Cop car and school was just letting out and there were a few young kids scurrying about trying to get home. Well the Cop in front of us was on his CELL PHONE and came to an inter section. While he was on the phone he was looking left and started to make a right. INTO A LITTLE GIRL he apparently didn't see because his attention was to the left. She screamed and slammed both her hands palm down on the hood of his car. Luckily all he did was scare her and then waved to her and quickly drove off. [What an ASS] She meanwhile was white as a ghost.

Now had I been Driving in front of him and did the same exact thing I'm sure I would have been seeing a fairly large fine for being on the Cell phone while driving etc. [Which is banned while driving where we live]

I love modern conveniences but I like to sometimes leave them at home and go for long walks without any MODERN Gadgets sometimes. I put away the cell, The laptop and just read a book or walk over to a friends and just chat. The older I get the faster the great seasonal wheel seems to spin and before you know it I'm in line to either buy fireworks or yet another Christmas present for somebody....

Great video work.
I wish I had better software

edit on 16-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
...I have made songs where most of the instrunments were from my iphone. This thread has reawakend my photographer inside, thank you GUT, ima go take some pictures now.

Thanks GO! Hope you'll share some of those pics here. Your music would be a good addition too. I didn't even think of that although a friend and I were mixing some some original stuff on our iphone's yesterday.

So let me amend and say: Any works of any genre created on a smart phone, ipad, or ipod would be an awesome and very welcome addition here.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thank you for stopping in, SLAYER. Your own creativity speaks for itself.

Your thread "Monsanto - Bayer Engineering Death: Bees, Bats and You?" was one of the OPs that got me thinking about GM foods.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Grat thread.

I dont know if you are aware about this documentary.

The World According To Monsanto - FULL LENGTH

Monsanto has declared war against the people for the sake of profit.

S&F

ITA: You really have skills. A great video, very well produced.

edit on 16-8-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Glad you stopped by, RUSSO. I'ma check that movie out. Congrats on all the ATS front page OPs lately, you are kicking butt with some great work!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Great stuff, GUT. Brilliant little video. Absolutely love it.

Unanimous? I'm in mate. Put my name down.

I have to admit to not having a smart phone yet. I'm more of a shepherd on the ideas/words front that a visual artist. I'd always thought of them as toys for ultra-connected kids. However, I'm guessing my creative juices wouldn't be harmed by owning one. You've got me thinking about it.

As for one being the loneliest number.... There has to be zero for company. Without beginning or end, with infinite potential and symbol of the great unmanifest - surely not such bad company in the long run?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Well, well always a pleasure to see one of the better minds on ATS--yourself--anywhere on these boards...and especially nice of you to comment so thoughtfully on my OP.

And you're right: One isn't so lonely after all. Pretty good company sometimes. Is rather tough to teeter-totter though.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hi! I'm glad your father is doing much better. That's a great picture of him and your daughter.

I bought a Samsung Fascinate a few weeks back, and I really like it, although I've still much to learn in using it. There was no instruction book (yes, I read instruction books, lol) so I asked for one, and they told me there's not one, because it's about 500 pages long.
....all the more reason to have one in my mind, but they did put it on line, although it's a pdf download.
I just haven't looked for it yet; I'm fumbling my way around with it, like a man would do! Good Lord!

I have taken some picts and vids, but not for posting. Not that I would know how to upload them. lol. But it's a handy little gadget. Almost like having a small laptop.

....I really enjoyed the Monsanto vid! You did great with that, and it's so true --there is something wrong with our corn. We will have to give up the beauty of the perfect veg and fruit, and return to smaller and more imperfect in appearance I suppose. I'm game. Count me in.

Great thread.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
....I really enjoyed the Monsanto vid! You did great with that, and it's so true --there is something wrong with our corn. We will have to give up the beauty of the perfect veg and fruit, and return to smaller and more imperfect in appearance I suppose...

Yes, imperfect appearance...but better taste. What a bizarre twistation of nature GM foods perpetrate.

Funny: I read the manuals too. When it comes to software and computers if I didn't have the filmmaking bug I would be clueless. I had to overcome my non-techie inner child to do it. I still stress if I have to learn any new software.

Thank you, ladyinwaiting, for your kind words.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

First let me say I am so glad your Dad is doing well, you are so fortunate
to have more time together, all of you.

Your photography is truly awesome!
And of course, your video is so unique, I cant wait to share it with everyone,
I hope it goes viral!

I have an iphone, but have yet to tap into its potential, I am now tuned into this thread,
and am looking to see it grow.

Epic thread!

bts~

edit on 16-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yeehaaw, a visit from Monsanto's Worst Nightmare!!
(Caught Red Handed! USDA Bee Extinction Study Kept Secret!)

I owe YOU the most for opening my eyes to the GM foods tragedy (crime.) And, you, in addition my dear, are an incredibly fine mind and beautiful soul to boot.

Thanks for the well-wishes for the family and taking the time to watch the movie and comment here. We are sooo fortunate and blessed.

I wish I had made the movie more polished and coherent, but it was originally only going to be a test/demo and I didn't plan it out as well as I should have. Hopefully it might be a primer, at least, for someone somewhere. Did I make any mistakes info wise?

(-----
-----) That's a hug.
edit on 16-8-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT

(-----
-----) That's a hug.

(-----
-----) That's a hug back!

Your video is very polished! I like its style...

And speaking of Crime, in turn, I have much to say about our Crimevelvet, one member whom I look up to and have learned from.

I will be the student in this thread, looking forward to it!

And your dad is adorable, give him a hug for me!

p.s.

By the way...your kitty is soooooo cuddly cute!
Look at those paws!

Ms. Kitty : Mys Job is Relax. I Do's Good Job! [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/140dbfa8815d.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 16-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh wow!!! That was so awesome! The video was touching, educational, good music, and very creative. LOVED IT.

I sooooo wish I had an I-Phone. I know if I did though I would be like that guy or girl (cant remember) who is on a commercial coming off an escalator all the while on her I-Phone and trips when she comes off....yep..that would be me....I would be on it ALL the time!!

I am not sure if I will ever eat corn again, nor will I allow the children too.
Really has me thinking!!!

Ya know I was thinking the other day (scary, I know) and wondering about fish. Is seafood safe to eat now with the oil spill and all that is in our oceans (debris, chemicals, trash, etc..) because not only do I love seafood.....but I love to fish as well???

Anyway.....great thread!!! It took a lot of time and effort on your part. To not only do all that you did, but the presentation was awesome! Great personality showing through the work...that's for sure!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hey, hey MamaJ!! Somehow I can see you looking all cute and sophisticated in some airport, on an escalator, on your phone, and then--POW--right on the floor.

Hard to look cool and do something like that, but I bet you could pull it off!!

Thank you for the very kind and most awesome compliments AND for gracing my lil' thread! I feel the love indeed.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I used to be a teenage photography addict with an Olympus om-30 SLR. It wasn't high in the world of cameras but I loved it and still have an eye for photography and cinematography. Your images here look pretty good to me; in particular the see-saw and beetle are nicely balanced..

Good news with your dad, seems the older they get, the more we respect them. Mine's in his early 60s and I'm not sure if he's ever been more content with life. Great men to their sons.

Your Monsanto video is high-standard. Soundtrack, timing, graphics etc. Very professional feel to it. I used to hate them in the 90s and early 2000s, signed the petitions, boycotted GM and thought it'd make a difference. George Monbiot! Nowadays, I don't so much hate the GM producers as hate the politicians and business markets that run the systems that allows the GM without too many questions. C'est le vie...

Nature can be tweaked and nudged in certain directions, but it won't ever be totally controllable or predictable. For example, GM's done wonders for Indian cotton farmers and helped to boost the national economy. The rest of nature is catching up and bugs are getting immune to the bt crops. In the next 2 or 3 years, the Indian farmers will be unable to produce any yields without 3 to 4 Monsanto products being used in unison. That's nearly 80% of India's cotton being dependent on one source for success.

People want money, big business wants returns on investments and politicians want positive GDP and happy businessmen. GM plays a part in all this. The questions and environmental concerns don't come with the certainties of profit and success. Is it any wonder they get lip service?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Thanks, Kandinsky, for stopping by and especially for your insight into the GM question. The world isn't black & white...but I fear it's the "grays' that really do us the most damage.

They are like bread crumbs that lead us further & further off the trail and before we know it some witch is melting the fat off us in a boiling cauldron. Not the fairy-tale witch's fault--that's what they do. Should've stayed on the trail in the first place.

I've learned A LOT from your incomparable critical thinking skills. Word. So it's especially gratifying to read your very kind words here.

Now: Don't tease me--I must get a peek at some of your creativity por favor. Pretty please with sugar on top. A download somewhere will do.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Oh, I'm not so sure you learn as much from anyone as you make out

I think you're a pretty smart operator and that's a compliment.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Was a pleasure to flag and star this thread, as well as venture through it open eyed.

I thank you for sending me this way.

Also, the music behind your video was just dandy.

You have a good eye and a well placed mind...in my humblest of opinions.

TY for the fun Mr G.

MM

top topics

<<   2 >>

join