It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest misapprehension "I exist as something seperated" "I am unhappy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
when i was young i read a lot about Christian mystique and Buddhism and what struck me was that all religions in that matter tell the same..even the christian mistique is not different from the Buddhist understanding which made me wonder if there could be a truth hidden in both ( as the christians always told me that GOD is something different than ME)

for example:
“Time is what keeps the light from reaching us. There is no greater obstacle to God than time: and not only time but temporalities, not only temporal things but temporal affections, not only temporal affections but the very taint and smell of time.”Meister Eckhart

"Only the hand that erases can write the true thing." Meister Eckhart

Here a quote from Buddhist master:

"Emptiness which is conceptually liable to be mistaken for sheer nothingness is in fact the reservoir of infinite possibilities."
— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

"First know your own mind and you will find that the question of other minds does not arise at all, for there are no other people. You are the common factor, the only link between the minds, Being is consciousness; ‘I am’ applies to all."

(Nisargadatta)

as i researched more and more and met some people who are already in that enlightened state...i realized that the whole idea about existing as an I..could be a big misunderstanding ...could be the root of our problems..

Here is a good video that makes this in a intuitive matter clear and could give u an introduction to a revolutionary new understand of yourself.

You are ready if you ever asked urself WHAT you are.
Dont make the mistake as i made when u feel the urge ..the need to find the answer to the question " WHO AM I?"->TO READ TO MUCH...observe for yourself...meditate...ask yourself.. see the world as a baby..search like u would start from the beginning. But this video is a good intro. I would not watch more than this video concerning this topic.
Its not the mind that will find the answer. So its better to not give the mind to many answers as the thoughts of the minds are often only an empty simulation of knowledge ..The mind will need to step aside..but of course you will need to be quite.The mind is not the enemy..the mind is part of your instruments to perceive. And also look in a loving way to the attempt of the mind to find an answer..

the most important thing is to rediscover your intuition and your bliss. At the end you are only searching for happiness. And the good news is: happiness is always available. For example: when u buy things the only reason why you become happy is because the wish of wanting something vanishes. Its not that happiness comes because you have something but happiness comes because the wish and feeling of lack disappears. That gives us one information: happiness seem not to be dependent on something. At the end it is nothing which makes us feel happy..it is the Absent of a NEED ..an Urge.. So first: RELAX and just observe everything.

"Bliss is not something to be got.
On the other hand you are always Bliss.
This desire [for Bliss] is born of the sense of incompleteness.
To whom is this sense of incompleteness?
Enquire. In deep sleep you were blissful.
Now you are not so.
What has interposed between that Bliss and this non-bliss?

Watch this video and start wonderful journey to yourself.
We stop being slaves to the industry which sells us happiness if we find out who we are. And when we find out no power will break our solidarity as we are one.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

so forget everything i said and start from the beginning. Who are you?

edit on 16-8-2011 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread OP, found it quite interesting. I'm attempting to silence my mind in meditation so that I may "observe how I observe", but I must say the social conditioning is hard to get through. My whole life living in Canada has been, what feels to me, a big attempt to separate me from myself, and that I exist solely for the purposes of those in charge. North Americans see on average 3000 advertisements a day (I believe that was the statistic, I may be wrong), That's a lot of junk going into your brain (and people thought drugs fried your brain, look at what "Corporatism", as one might call it, does...). I realize it will take some time, but I can already feel certain differences, for instance, I'll have a negative thought drift into my mind, and I'll actually realize, "Hey, I didn't mean that" or just catch myself doing, as opposed to just going along.

S + F

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
yeah i agree, thanks for OP tis definitely very interesting....

methinks that peeps need to just stop. stop and listen.
peeps are too fast these days...everything is rushed and has to be now....but pause, and stop.
listen to yourself. listen to mother earth. listen to your brothers and sisters of earth.
listen to the flora and fauna of earth.

we need to stop. take a moment to ourselves and just be.
no questions, no answers....just be.

we are all one. we are all the same....but yet uniquely individual at the same time.
its balance that is needed....we know who we are and we dont.

self realisation would be to realise that we are all connected and are one BIG self....

and i know who i am at the moment....an ecstatically happy fluffy being who feels seriously connected atm
lol

tis difficult to truly listen. but in time we can learn....and we should....

do you know who you are ?

fluffx

oh and S + F too..... happy day to thee :0)
edit on 16-8-2011 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

"It is not possible for you to acquire knowledge. You are knowledge." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

This guy is really brilliant. Thank you very much.

edit on 16-8-2011 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I like the vid, right moment right time.

Just one question for the OP. What is happiness and why would one pursue it?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
kauskau,
You have presented us with a wonderful gem. Thank you very much for your great articulation and wonderful video clip to accompany it.

May Peace be upon you.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diyainoue
I like the vid, right moment right time.

Just one question for the OP. What is happiness and why would one pursue it?

hm in germany we have many words for happiness and i dont know which word to use for what i mean. But for what i mean it is not even required to totally be in an ecstasy of feeling lucky..
I think that no matter why you experience happiness and in which intensity... always there is an absence of "resistance" and an absence of "wanting something else". It sounds philosophical but i really think that we pursue it because its our nature to search for a natural state. And the most natural state i can imagine is not resisting against anything. In that moments i feel like being one with what i perceive..one with myself. I dont feel like being conditioned in those moments. ..i dont fantasize "another now" which is made of yesterday and tomorrow ..hope and opposition. its just "I Am and This Is This". and as we always only have this NOW ..and never experienced "a yesterday"..this feels natural.

I think its even possible to feel happiness when you experience things which do not give you the feeling of luckiness.
For me "deep happiness" is like water. It flows with everything. Its just presence and acceptance. It feels like nature...It feels like synchronism between wanting and perceiving.

We search for it because our mind misinterprets that we need things to be in that natural state. The whole industry depends on that lack..on that dependency.

When we wake up in the morning , It feels like we come from the most wonderful state. And still we think we did not perceive it. But we did. We really love sleeping..

Thats why you dont wake up immediately after drifting off into the deep sleep. There is a gap. A gap without perception and without a clear sense of time but still ...there is unconditional freedom and we perceive the foreshadow of it when we wake up and perceive the first elements that make a dualistic experience possible..These elements make it possible to reflect a state which is not dualistic..which can not be reflected itself,because it is ONE. .these first dualistic elements in our perception in the morning give us a glimpse of what unconditional freedom feels like...what it feels like to just be without a movement. Its peace..and i really do think that there is no other state in which we perceive in a clearer way what we are than in deep sleep.

when i was a child i had the feeling that i am not visible.that people could not see what i think..and what i am..because they can only see "how i act". but not what i am....i lost that feeling later. But this invisibility for me was the purest form of freedom...i had the feeling that i was not touchable.

And still i think: its the biggest misunderstanding to think that we are what we perceive. We are not this body..we are not this little eye. We perceive it. We dont exist as something, we only dream it. We dream it to understand what we are by understanding what we are not.because we can not describe to ourselves what we are in a positive way because what we are is not an object of perception. Its subject. But subject will never perceive itself.
Being that what u are and expressing it...is happiness.

there is a saying (i dont know who said it): nothing real can be threatened, nothing unreal exists, therein lies the Peace of God

"It is your idea that you have to do things that entangle you in results of your efforts-the motive, the desire, the failure to achieve, the sense of frustration-all this holds you back. Simply look at whatever happens and know that you are beyond it". nisargadatta p.148 (www.thecourse.org.uk...)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I'm not German but I think you are talking about "glücklich" this concept can only be perceived if you experienced being "unglücklich" too. So why do we tell ourselves we are pursuing one side of the coin while the coin could be of non-importance. Don't we trap ourselves that way? Isn't it exactly the same as we chain ourselves in our everyday life, claiming importance on what we do, what we say, what we achieve, claiming that that is us, while in fact it is not us but our productions (sorry don't know how to name that concept) that are of non-importance?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I came to this realization a few months ago, and it still shocks me when I hear people who are considered "gurus" reiterating that realization. My experience felt deeply profound and revealing. It's hard to describe how very real it felt. It's pointless to try to describe. It can only be felt in order for it to be "understood".

Although I came close a few times to what might be perceived as a truth to some, my most recent experience took me on a much deeper journey toward discovery of the self and our own existence. I created a thread on my experience: Secrets of our Existance and Universe Unraveled

Thanks for sharing the video.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by kauskau
when i was young i read a lot about Christian mystique and Buddhism and what struck me was that all religions in that matter tell the same..even the christian mistique is not different from the Buddhist understanding which made me wonder if there could be a truth hidden in both ( as the christians always told me that GOD is something different than ME)

for example:
“Time is what keeps the light from reaching us. There is no greater obstacle to God than time: and not only time but temporalities, not only temporal things but temporal affections, not only temporal affections but the very taint and smell of time.”Meister Eckhart

"Emptiness which is conceptually liable to be mistaken for sheer nothingness is in fact the reservoir of infinite possibilities."
— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

"First know your own mind and you will find that the question of other minds does not arise at all, for there are no other people. You are the common factor, the only link between the minds, Being is consciousness; ‘I am’ applies to all."

(Nisargadatta)

as i researched more and more and met some people who are already in that enlightened state...i realized that the whole idea about existing as an I..could be a big misunderstanding ...could be the root of our problems..

Here is a good video that makes this in a intuitive matter clear and could give u an introduction to a revolutionary new understand of yourself.

Dont make the mistake as i made when u feel the urge ..the need to find the answer to the question " WHO AM I?"->TO READ TO MUCH...observe for yourself...meditate...ask yourself.. see the world as a baby..search like u would start from the beginning. But this video is a good intro. I would not watch more than this video concerning this topic.
Its not the mind that will find the answer. So its better to not give the mind to many answers as the thoughts of the minds are often only an empty simulation of knowledge ..The mind will need to step aside..but of course you will need to be quite.The mind is not the enemy..the mind is part of your instruments to perceive. And also look in a loving way to the attempt of the mind to find an answer..

the most important thing is to rediscover your intuition and your bliss. At the end you are only searching for happiness. And the good news is: happiness is always available. For example: when u buy things the only reason why you become happy is because the wish of wanting something vanishes. Its not that happiness comes because you have something but happiness comes because the wish and feeling of lack disappears. That gives us one information: happiness seem not to be dependent on something. At the end it is nothing which makes us feel happy..it is the Absent of a NEED ..an Urge.. So first: RELAX and just observe everything.

Now you are not so.

We stop being slaves to the industry which sells us happiness if we find out who we are. And when we find out no power will break our solidarity as we are one.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

its all cute but you still gotta eat. and you are still here.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by saabacura

for example:

— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

(Nisargadatta)

Now you are not so.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

Before enlightenment...chop wood, collect water.
After enlightnment...chop wood, collect water!
Akushla

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

for example:

— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

(Nisargadatta)

Now you are not so.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

Akushla

Ah, that requires a true effort. like a monk living in a mountain.
a true faith in that belief which most likely isn't correct in truth.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

for example:

— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

(Nisargadatta)

Now you are not so.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

Akushla

Ah, that requires a true effort. like a monk living in a mountain.
a true faith in that belief which most likely isn't correct in truth.

We are all monks living on our own mountains of 'effort'!
Faith and Belief are what runs this thing we call living.
If you are not willing to chop wood to heat water, you will not warm your food, and consequently be in no state of mind to contemplate 'truth'.
Akushla

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

for example:

— Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

(Nisargadatta)

Now you are not so.

www.youtube.com...

but never forget:

Until life runs it's course, there is little to no escape from this current reality which requires us to follow the physical rules of our world. You can eat and drink AND ponder the mysteries of this world. There's no rule that states you have to exclude one experience in favor for another. Sometimes you can have both.

new topics

top topics

join