It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Smart Tiles bring more realism to VR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Smart Tiles that allow you to walk around a VR environment and physically stay in the same place, have been developed by Hiroyuki Fukushima and Co. from the University of Tsukuba, in Ibaraki call their creation CirculaFloor. The prototype, which consists of four square floor tiles each has several motors and wheels to allow the tiles to move in any direction. To cancel out the motion of someone walking, they use magnetic sensors hooked on the users feet to figure out the direction the user is walking.

www.newscientist.com
Intelligent floor tiles that allow a person to walk through a virtual environment while remaining in one spot have been developed by Japanese researchers.

Hiroyuki Fukushima and colleagues from the University of Tsukuba, in Ibaraki, and ATR Media Information Research Labs, in Kyoto, came up with the smart tile system, dubbed CirculaFloor.

The system can be connected to a virtual reality headset to let a person move through a computer-generated world while remaining in the same space.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one step forward to my dream, and that is to experience a fully immersive virtual environment as good as those holodecks on Star Trek. Though I do understand this is a prototype and I really want to see it in action, one thing is for sure though when this invention goes to market you're going to see a resurgance in VR once again.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by sardion2000]

[edit on 24-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Bumping, not sure why this didn't get upgraded, I'm pretty sure it's not a duplicate or anything...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Looks like the Holodecks in Star Trek are getting another step closer in reality!
One day the 'virtual world' will be just like the 'real' world!

join