It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A record 45.8 million American using food stamps (15 percent)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Nearly 15 percent of the U.S. population relied on food stamps in May, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

To qualify for food stamps, an individual's income can't exceed $1,174 a month or $14,088 a year -- an amount that is 130 percent of the national poverty level.

The average food stamp benefit was $133.80 per person and $283.65 per household in May.

The highest concentration of food stamp users were in California, Florida, New York and Texas -- where more than 3 million residents in each state received food stamps in May.

www.chicagotribune.com...

3 out of every 20 AMERICANS are using food stamps.

If this isn't proof that our country is in a massive decline...nothing is. Most of the new jobs are low paying and most of the good paying jobs have left the country because of free trade.

I have never been on food stamps before, but I didn't know earnings had to be so low to receive them. I can't imagine living on 14k a year. For those who are, I feel for ya.

For a country that is supposed to be the wealthiest in the world, it's a damned shame we have let this happen...should be a crime. So many of these people were nothing but victims and have lost everything after the housing market crash....and now they are barely making it.

edit on 15-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Also suprisingly...or NOT...

TEXAS is among the highest users of food stamps.

Just who exactly is governor of Texas??? cough....RICK PERRY...cough.

Seems to be relying heavily on the Federal government...even thought he once threatened to "secede" from the union.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Yes.... Definitely not good.

Of course, these 'benefits' will eventually disappear too. (They already are in some places.)

If things don't turn-around soon, it is likely to get very ugly...

edit on 15-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Very sobering, indeed.
I've lived on less than that in my past - it's unbelievably stressful.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yes.... Definitely not good. Of course, these 'benefits' will eventually disappear too. (They already are in some places.) If things don't turn-around soon, it is likely to get very ugly...

And this is happening at the same time they are planning to cut programs.

It's going to get ugly...i agree.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

Very sobering, indeed. I've lived on less than that in my past - it's unbelievably stressful.

My father was on them for a short time when I was young...back in the 80's. He wasn't proud of it...but had no choice. he had 3 kids to feed and was layed off from the steel mill he worked.

Just tired of people being looked upon as "lesser human beings" because they need help...it's bull. When it comes down to it, we'd all do it if we had to.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I totally agree that it's proof that the country is in a severe decline, but it's only going to get harder and harder the more the population increases....which is inevitable.

Sad, sad state of affairs.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oh well, at least some people have a way to eat.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It puts you in a prison, to make that little.
I know, I'm one of them.

You can't travel. You can't go anywhere or do anything.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Everybody claims the blacks are using up the welfare, blacks are 10-12% of the surplus population.Some people going hungry then they'd rather go on food stamps, they'd rather starve then accept welfare and their children will grow up hating them.

This country is in a steady decline. You forget about people using other welfare.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
JP Morgan and company are reaping the benefits.

FOOD STAMPS PROFITS : how JP Morgan gets rich with increased poverty

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Also suprisingly...or NOT...

TEXAS is among the highest users of food stamps.

Just who exactly is governor of Texas??? cough....RICK PERRY...cough.

Seems to be relying heavily on the Federal government...even thought he once threatened to "secede" from the union.

I'm from TX and I want Perry to win in 2012 for two reasons:

1) I find it hard to believe he could possibly do a poorer job than Obama has done thus far.

2) It would get him the he'll out of Texas!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
possibly illegal immigrants.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
possibly illegal immigrants.

Ya think? It's really not that hard to get around a system that in order to deny you for assistance has to prove that you do make money in order to do so...

Much of the Texas job market is non-union construction work, which often pays employees in cash, this is especially true with residential contractors. This also is the reason that the TX unemployment rate is so low compared to the rest of the country (if you are paid in cash then you do not pay in unemployment, if you do not pay unemployment you cannot draw unemployment.)

So yeah, think about that when Perry says as governer he kept unemployment rates lower in Texas, it seems like almost every construction worker that I know hasn't worked in months...

top topics

join