It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does water (H2O) actually act as a catalyst that fuels paranormal events or ghostly haunts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Over the years many people, including paranormal researchers, have made the claim that ghosts and spirits are attracted by or more likely to manifest near running water. No explanation has ever been given for this claim.

Please share your stories as to what you have experienced with ghostly activity near or around running water. Science based evidence highly appreciated as well as your first hand personal accounts or experiences.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by flight-dynamics
Over the years many people, including paranormal researchers, have made the claim that ghosts and spirits are attracted by or more likely to manifest near running water. No explanation has ever been given for this claim.

Please share your stories as to what you have experienced with ghostly activity near or around running water. Science based evidence highly appreciated as well as your first hand personal accounts or experiences.

I have always heard ghosts can't cross water, but I don't know if it's true or not.
I know mirrors are considered portals, and water is reflective so, that seems to contradict the other beleif. Good question I don't have an answer.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This sparked a memory. Years and years ago. My friends and I used to go out in groups every other weekend "ghost hunting." Now personally, I never once saw or heard anything, but for everyone else, a much different story.

Anyways, the memory is of this old shut down school house that used to be one of our spots for hunting (torn down now). A couple times, a few of my friends got spooked by a silhouette on the North side of the building. Thinking about it, there was a big stream that ran right by that part of the building.

Just thought I'd share that. Interesting about the water.

edit: Also I forgot to add, that when this school house closed down. For some odd reason, the town decided to put their graveyard right next to it. So from the front entrance, you take about 10 steps, and your in the graveyard. The front entrance faces the South. The road to it runs East and West so from the road, you would see *graveyard/school/big stream/forest* with the school sitting sideways. Figured I'd add that bit in for why we chose this as one of our hunting grounds back then.
edit on 8/14/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

edit2: sorry, last edit. Want to add this last bit. Across the street is the southern ohio correctional facility. Widely known for the huge riots that happened there, and on the list of some paranormal websites. So who knows, maybe my friends saw an escaped convict
]
edit on 8/14/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I have heard that running water, as in a river, or underground river creates a magnetic field, especially when running through limestone..

If ghosts exist (I believe they do), then the science behind them needing energy to manifest could be generated from flowing water, ie; Static electricity,or other means.. Just some ideas

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
John Constantine says it does.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Water being a conduit for energy is supposed to heighten activity. While aware of the claims proposed by ghost hunters...Myself during investigations with my team, have yet to find increased activity in areas near water. Some areas where no known deaths have occurred but are located near water, are active. Not to say it isn't possible, as the whole grand scheme remains to be subjective. Good subject nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Water is a very magical substance. It has some very amazing properties. it(hydrogen bonding) is responsible for holding together the 2 strands of DNA, and so much more.

You pose a very interesting question. judging by how miraculous water is...i would imagine that good spirits are drawn to water, rather than bad spirits. So I suppose you could see an increase in paranormal events near water..but I doubt any evil spirits, or haunts as you put it, would be increased. In fact, you'd probably find a decrease in negative entities around water.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

if ghosts can cross running water then they can posses human beings like some claim. We are about 75% water after all. maybe if i feel myself being possesed i should run to the toilet for a quick wizz, the running water will prevent me being possesed lol

joking aside and Im not claiming you satated you beleive this but more likley this is just a superstition.

im sure ghosts can fly if there were such a thing so why would they need to cross water? how far away can they be before being blocked by running water and therefore how high above?

I married my chinese wife a few years ago ans she beleives in spirits and i respect here beleif but do not share it. she said before we married she was in china (i was in UK) and she went to a spiritualist who claimed to contact here ancestor who traveled to my room when i was sleeping to look inside me to determine if i really loved her. A nice story for sure but i told her, what if i had been on the toilet at the time...how embarrasing!

anyway this spirit must hate traveled over water so this is not even a common beleif among people who do beleive in spirits.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Ghosts will tend to stay away from water, thats why preasts use holy water, right? I think ghosts prefer cold dry places...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
i don't know about water but i noticed that every time we have reports of solar flairs hitting the earth I get heightened activity in my house. could just be coincidence or not.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Haha. Could be, Shdak, but I was always told that it was to symbolize purifying, such as John the Baptist baptizing people in the river.
edit on 14-8-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I can't really make heads or tales sometimes of paranormal activity. I think I see something or hear something and when I find out what it is, it's insignificant. Other times (which are rare) it is out of the ordinary. Just the other night it was after 12:00 a.m. I was feeling restless and went out on my porch and saw a pulsating light behind my house, then it slowly changed into some helicopter or plane that looked normal. A few years ago when I was waking up in the morning I really believe I heard a little girl say "Hello" at the foot of my bed. I drank water but never really had bottled water at that point. Now, I drink spring water all the time and things are fairly normal I guess. I've had many strange encounters with the other side. I saw a poltergeist that was close to a creek. Water is an essential building block of life. Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I always believed that many reports of hauntings were located on or near water. However, our brains are electrical, and stimulus of our parietal lobe can induce weird exêriences too.

Our outdated electrical grid distribution system sometimes gives off stray energy. So who knows really?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

I have always heard ghosts can't cross water, but I don't know if it's true or not.
I know mirrors are considered portals, and water is reflective so, that seems to contradict the other beleif. Good question I don't have an answer.

Thats interesting have you heard of the theory about orgone energy? Its basically life energy, sometimes called bio energy, prana, chi, or ki. Its supposed to be attracted towards water but becomes absorbed by it. If ghosts are made up of a mysterious energy and like water but cant cross it this fits the description. Maybe a ghost is just a large condensed intelligent collection of life/bio energy. Or maybe conditions for some kind of energetic grid from the flow of life energy favor portals to other dimensions with intelligent beings or counterparts to ourselves. A glitch in the matrix so to speak.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Thats interesting have you heard of the theory about orgone energy? Its basically life energy, sometimes called bio energy, prana, chi, or ki. Its supposed to be attracted towards water but becomes absorbed by it. If ghosts are made up of a mysterious energy and like water but cant cross it this fits the description. Maybe a ghost is just a large condensed intelligent collection of life/bio energy. Or maybe conditions for some kind of energetic grid from the flow of life energy favor portals to other dimensions with intelligent beings or counterparts to ourselves. A glitch in the matrix so to speak.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by crystalbeing

I have heard of orgone energy in fact I became acquainted with ogone energy jars while looking up some thing my kid grabbed from neighbors that were odd jars and when I looked it up it seems my neighbors were making orgone jars and failed miserably (they didnt' include crystals to make negative energy transform to positive) needless to say, I found out why we had all kinds of awful experiences in that house, because we lived attached to our neighbors. (townhome). So yes, I am well aware of this kind of thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I think what one poster said about us being mostly made up of water is an interesting point!
I wonder if this was not the case maybe we would be completely unaware of the existence of ghosts and spirits etc as they would not be fueled by us, therefore we would never have any experiences with them.
Maybe there is more to this whole water and paranormal connection than first meets the eye...

All speculation ofc

Peace

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I have had multiple paranormal experiences and to my best knowledge there was no source of water nearby....
However, I am not dismissing the idea...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Electrical Storms work as a catalyst to spiritual/paranormal activity.

Here in New England we have a number of really old cemeteries dating back to the 1700's, and even older.

My previous home was on a hill overlooking and ancient one about a quarter of a mile away but it was obscured from direct view by a bunch of older trees.

When I had my home analyzed by a Feng Shui practitioner friend. She mentioned the cemetery and it's relatively close proximity but because there was a pond and brook between my home and it, the water acted as a barrier to any spirits.

My animals displayed no paranormal activity while there and the wild birds apparently liked the location quite a bit as well because it was very much like a bird sanctuary as well as a stopover/rest stop for migrating birds.

Considering that spirit energy is electrical in nature and water directly isn't a conductor, it requires Ions/Cations to do so, then this does somewhat correlate with the Feng Shui ideology of water acting as a barrier.

Our bodies primarily comprised of water, also contain minerals that provide the necessary ions/cations for electrical conductivity to occur.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Digging around a little more for some science-based evidence between electromagnetic fields and running water, I was able to establish that relatively low and almost non-detectable magnetic fields are created by charged particles in the water, with the charge coming from the movement of molecules alone without the introduction of an electrical current. This charge is so low however that even in rough water little to no electromagnetic fields are produced by the water alone.

Therefore, scientists state that running water DOES NOT create electromagnetic energy unless electric current is placed in the water to charge the particles significantly enough to create an electromagnetic field.

This means that a swift flowing river, for example, does not have much of a magnetic field associated with it...if it did, they claim, we could generate electric power really inexpensively by simply hanging a coil of wire nearby or in the river thereby charging the particles. This is interesting in that it may explain why in some cases there are no ghosts near water or few stories about them (which is odd since some ghost hunters claim that water is a conduit for activity).

There could be other reasons of course - as in old grist mills that still have machinery working with the water. Perhaps in these cases charge is sufficient enough with contact with the water that electromagnetic fields can be created (hence, ghost sightings in old working mills, etc.)

The hypothesis that electromagnetic fields attract spirits is a good one, but with water it seems there can be little attraction due to the fact that almost no electromagentic fields are really created by water alone.

As posted previously, it might be worth investigating if specific rocks (like limestone) may introduce certain electrical properies that may introduce enough energy to charge molecules in running water to produce electromagnetic fields.

Personally I do believe that very high levels of electromagentic energy can attract spirits while also having a negative physical effect on the human body. High electromagnetic fields may attract spirits, but it seems that you can have people living in homes with high electromagentic energy but still no ghosts. I think when ghosts are detected in many cases a strong field is present which creates a dual effect - some body sensitivity and also potential ghost sightings. The mind may produce paranoia that makes it feel that a presence is in the room, but no ghost may actually be near by. In some cases they may be nearby despite the paranoia produced by the electromagnetic field alone.

More on this later......please keep the stories coming. I do recall on the North Carolina coast a ghost that appears from the water in advance of hurricanes, so there may still be some merit to the ghosts and water theories.

join