It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

olympics - why dont people care anymore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Heres a article I found about this topic.

The Olympics have hardly begun but already there are complaints they are boring and that some of the events are being watched by only a handful of spectators.

Unnerved by this development, the Greek government and the Athens organizing committee ATHOC have started to blame each other.

The recent pictures - televised across the world - of row upon row of empty seats in the stadiums have prompted outrage.

"There were more Greeks in Sydney four years ago than in Athens today," fumed the British newspaper the Times.

The Greek daily Kathimerini commented: "The Greeks obviously took the Olympic motto 'Welcome home' too seriously. They are staying home, watching the Games on television."

I still think the events play a big role in turnout but I could be wrong

www.swimsa.co.za...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I've been watcing the olympics daily.. I am not really into sports but I always find interest in the various athletic events that you really only see when there is an olympic game.

I think it is fun just to watch the competition themselves and be happy for whoever wins. Yes, there is plenty of flagwaving but I think the majority of it these days is just competitive fun.

Actually I heard that during one of the Gymnastics events was pretty empty because of a holiday/religious event that was going on at the same time. After that, the stands were actually beginning to pick up.

They actually moved people from the lower priced seats to the more expensive seats just to fill them.

I think most people in Greece are watching it on television.. perhaps the prices are just too high with all the corporate stuff going on and all the new security measures (including an American special forces team) must of driven up prices.

I would really like to hear from someone currently at the games or living in Greece right now.

[edit on 18-8-2004 by RedOctober90]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Also the Greeks just aren't as big sports fans as the Aussies in 2000, and don't have the population to pull from as did the US in 1996. Isn't there something like 6 million tickets all up? Thats a hell of a lot of bums-on-seats for a nation of only 12 million or so people.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
I've never been a real big fan of the olyimpics.

Yeah, the basketball team this time around blows. They don't even have our best of the best, and its oblivious why: For instance Shaq, is a very good player but him and others like Kobe don't want to go over there to play and not get paid a dime. If they went over there and had a injury, they got hurt for no money and it would kill there multi-million dollar carrers.

I'm a football fan myself, thats about the only sport I watch and like.

GO VIKES!

So true! of the original "dream" team, only 2 are still on it (Duncan and Iverson). Basically, most of the other guys had already played for the national team and used this as an excuse. The rest just didn't care enough to play

As for football, I'm with you there! I loved playing it till I got hurt, and I LOVE my Eagles!
E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Why don't people care anymore?

I don't understand im following it the whole time. I normally almost never watch sports, but this is really a good occasion to follow everything in once! Especialy to see how my country (netherlands) is doing so well at the olympics.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The seats are probably empty because Canada sent 400 athletes with only 1 bronze medal being the outcome. The high class soccer games seem to have been sold out. ie when the Italians were playing. Also the Greek soccer team loosing one of its matches to a low profile team may have something to do with the low turn out. Not to forget the 2 greek sprinters pulling out of the competition due to a motorcycle accident.

There has been rumor that new sports such as rugby and squash will be added. I've always wanted to see squash in the olympics. Squash is truly a great sport.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
I think its because there is no one to pull against anymore. In the not to distant past during the cold war victories at the Olympics were just as decisive as battefield victories. Anyone remeber the 1980 winter Olympics when the Americans beat the soviets. ..... The Olympics would be drawing hug crowds right now if the Terrorists had a team because everyone would have someone to pull against.

Indeed sports are the extension of war during peace times... remember all the first sport like Archery, running, Wrestling, throwing a javelo, surmounting an obstacle(Athletics), Fencing, The old Pentathlon etc....

theres isnt any visible/real ennemy.....Hope that China and India start threatening america soon cause those olimpic are getting boring....

"2.5 billion agaisnt 300 million with enough nuke on both side to anilathe the other"

Lets rock! .....plz dont hit Singapor....

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think it's because there's really no US vs THEM anymore. You don't have to hate the USSR or China anymore.

As much as you need a favorite to cheer for, you need an enemy to jeer at.

That, and it's boring as hell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join