It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiment: Tell The Truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Inspired by my other thread talking about (the demise of) Truth www.abovetopsecret.com...

All of us have made it a habit to lie. Yes, a habit. To the point where it's a disease no better than cancer. Sometimes the lies are small, sometimes the lies are big. It all depends on what it is we are trying to gain out of it, whether it's acceptance, pride, money, security, etc. Sometimes, the benefit may not be for ourselves, but for others, but that doesn't make it right.

Here is how I like to look at it: When you die with a secret, the truth is buried with you.

I think it's pretty clear that this matter of thinking is going to lead us nowhere but into a world of fantasy and misunderstanding, so let's see how our lives would be affected if we started to expose some truth's in our lives, and further, let's work to avoid creating new lies.

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

I want you to try an experiment:

Write down a list, 1 - 10. If you don't want to do 10, try just 1 or 2.

Next to each number, write down a Lie or Fear you currently live with and who it effects, whether it be your friend, your wife, your mother, your boss, etc.

Then, take this list, and deliver the information and report back here with your experience.

P.S. If you're too afraid to play it out in real life, due to the fact that certain lies may effect your livelihood, and it isn't worth the trade-off, start here by getting something off of your chest, and see how it makes you feel, and we'll do our best to help you out with things. Working to expose small lies, will help to expose bigger ones.

Here is some inspiration to get you started:

www.postsecret.com...
www.postsecretcommunity.com...

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the
road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
- Buddha
edit on 8/11/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

hmmm looks like we're not interested in the truth around here only ideas that confirm our own

nice presentation shame theres no takers s+f

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
When I was 17 my best friends name was Cindy. Cindy confided in me that she was a lesbian. I promised not to tell anyone, but I did. Cindy became estranged form her very religious family and eventually moved out of town. I never heard from her again. I lied, I told her I hadn't told anyone.

I feel guilty about this to this day.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
When I was 17 my best friends name was Cindy. Cindy confided in me that she was a lesbian. I promised not to tell anyone, but I did. Cindy became estranged form her very religious family and eventually moved out of town. I never heard from her again. I lied, I told her I hadn't told anyone.

But....you did tell the truth about Cindy.

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime

Originally posted by Merigold

But....you did tell the truth about Cindy.

Peace

The truth came out, but it didn't come from the horses mouth. Sometimes people prefer to live with secrets, as it holds the key to their well-being. Everyone responds differently to this. It's safe to say, this was one of the girl's bigger skeletons in the closet, given how she responded to it all.

For instance, I have always had a phobia of being alone in complete darkness.
Let's just say my mind loves to play tricks on me. I don't trust my mind in the dark.
And I have always been a nail biter. People just never seem to notice.
But do I tell anyone these things? Hell no.

I believe we have all been in the above situation.

I used to warn all of my friends of my mom's reckless substance abuse behavior. She was never convinced she had any issues. Luckily, she never found out about this, as it would have only angered her more. But, now that I think about it, telling others closer to her may have ended up changing her life, and possibly have helped save it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
As a strapping 6 foot 6 inch ninja-astonaut with super powers. . . . .

Oh alright.

My grandmother had a saying.
"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember what you said."

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I'm getting better but when I use to drink and drug...my whole life was one big lie, a fantasy, afraid that the world would find out that I was a charlatan.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

The truth came out, but it didn't come from the horses mouth. Sometimes people prefer to live with secrets, as it holds the key to their well-being. Everyone responds differently to this. It's safe to say, this was one of the girl's bigger skeletons in the closet, given how she responded to it all.

That makes absolutly no sense. You said:"

Sometimes, the benefit may not be for ourselves, but for others, but that doesn't make it right.

Merigold's secret was a secret, was it not?

I'm confused....

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

That makes absolutly no sense. You said:"

Sometimes, the benefit may not be for ourselves, but for others, but that doesn't make it right.

Merigold's secret was a secret, was it not?

I'm confused....

Peace

I am a little confused too. Lovely meds, I am on. Please let me know if I clear this up...

The sentence in context: The benefit of telling a lie

E.g. You witness someone stealing something, and you lie to cover it all up to save them from penalty. They benefit, not you. And now, you both get stuck with a lie to deal with.

Also...

I'm not advocating that we go exposing other people's dirty laundry, but our own.

Telling a secret you've been intrusted with only creates a new lie. So, nothing is really accomplished.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception

E.g. You witness someone stealing something, and you lie to cover it all up to save them from penalty. They benefit, not you. And now, you both get stuck with a lie to deal with.

Also...

I'm not advocating that we go exposing other people's dirty laundry, but our own.

Telling a secret you've been intrusted with only creates a new lie. So, nothing is really accomplished.

Different scenario, say you are hiding fugitives in your basement from some dicatorial regime that you don't agree with. They knock on your door and ask if you are harboring any fugitives......lie or tell the truth?

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I haven't told a lie for the last 9 years.
I have been a semi recluse for the last 5, which has made it easier

edit on 12-8-2011 by margaretr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
...i tell a bunch of lies every day - to my mom... she has alzheimers and asks repetitive questions... her favorite is "am i gonna die?"... i could say "we're all gonna die but neither of us are gonna die today" - but - thats not what she wants to hear...

...she wants to hear "no, you're not gonna die" and if i dont say that, she'll cry and fret, which leads into classic dementia psycho cycles (which are no fun to witness)... so what the hell, i lie to the old gal and i dont have a drop of remorse for it...

...the "always tell the truth" deal is warped at best... everyone lies - especially those who claim they dont lie... besides, whats a lie and whats truth is subjective at best and thats all i gotta say about that...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception

Also...

Different scenario, say you are hiding fugitives in your basement from some dicatorial regime that you don't agree with. They knock on your door and ask if you are harboring any fugitives......lie or tell the truth?

Peace

Unlikely I'd be harboring any fugitives to begin with.

But let's get back on target.

The thread is about exposing your personal lies and the outcomes that follow. Let's try sticking to that.

Feel free to open a new thread if you'd like to carry on a debate.

top topics

join