It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Math Ability Is Inborn, Count On This, Says Researcher

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I could not disagree more with this.

There are math programs out there that have proven to close the "bell curve" of performance to a 3% deviation. That means that your lowest and highest performer are only separated by 3%. You cannot argue with facts of performance.

I believe that they are misattributing cause. You are not born or anything with it. It is more that, as you mature, you develop "thought transducers". Depending on the environment you grow up in, you may or may not develop solid mathematical logic/thought transducers.

I am a good example of this. In school i struggled with math. In my adult life I have embarked on a career entrenched in mathmatics, while teaching myself the mathematical systems needed for this work. It isn't that I was born to be poor at math. It is that, as i matured, i developed logic processes that were contraindicative to math skill. I corrected that problem, and now I am an accountant for a fairly large business.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
One thing to note is that they started this test on 4yearolds. There's a lot that goes on before that age.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is just another excuse so people can feel justified when they say they suck at math. Hardly anyone feels justified when they say they suck at reading, do they?

Never underestimate the importance of PRACTICE. Talent plays a minor role compared to practice.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Not buying this at all. I used to suck at math and now I am better at it. You just have to practice as with anything. JMO, but I have seen me go from a failure at math to being able to do it with ease and fast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join