It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Proof That Mosquito Spraying is Toxic To Our Environment's Health and Ecosystem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I saw this article posted today stating that the city of Portsmouth, VA and the Army Corps of Engineers’ Norfolk District will conduct aerial mosquito spraying today at the Craney Island Dredged Material Management Area and in Churchland.

So, the Army Corps of Engineers is now fighting mosquitos?

The article goes on to say

People with allergic reactions should stay indoors during the spraying,...Beekeepers also should keep bees covered.

The part about covering the bees is interesting to say the least. I know that when a spray truck comes through my neighborhood, we've never been warned about allergic reactions. Is the aerial spraying more potent than the chemical/poisons that the trucks spray? Is this what is killing off all the honey bees?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see the War on Mosquitos come to a halt until we learn more about these chemicals and how they're affecting our health and the health of our environment.

Source:
hamptonroads.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Plant some Basil
Mosquitos don't like Basil.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by A por uvas

I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the info, but I'm more concerned with what I can do to keep the mosquito and bee killing chemicals away.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for the info, but I'm more concerned with what I can do to keep the mosquito and bee killing chemicals away.

My advice would be to move or have an air tight house with air filters, cover your skin and wear a mask.Preventative ideas would be voicing your opinion on a wider scale.
Can you think of anything else.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

If I hear the truck coming, I go inside. The smell of the spray alone gives me headache. The one thing I can't help is that I have pet rabbits that live loose in my fenced-in backyard. There's no way to protect them and my yard/plants from getting the chemicals from the spray on them, which is then eaten by the rabbits.

I've tried discussing the mosquito spraying on here as well as with people I meet on a daily basis, but it seems that the hatred for mosquitos outweighs the toxicity of the spraying.
edit on 9-8-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
People have screwed up our mosquito spraying to the point that I have to call to get them to come out but give the guy a cold one and he sprays end to end front to back. It's my tax money so i want sprayed

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

Well, good for you! Does it help? Do mosquitos still bite you while you're in your yard? Have you tried ridding your property of all standing water? If you have them, do you allow your children, grandchildren, and/or pets to play in the yard after it's sprayed? Do you also have a tendency to religiously add lawn fertilizer to your yard in the spring and fall?

The best thing I can compare the mosquito spraying to is how we feared and hated the wrath of the Vietcong so much that everyone overlooked the dangers of Agent Orange and its dasterdly brothers, Agent Blue, Agent Purple, etc.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
They have been spraying for mosquitoes for half a century now. I know my mother's generation used to run behind the trucks and play in the smoke, they were never warned it was unsafe. Yet if they were to develop some kind of cancer, it will first be blamed on personal habits.

During WNV, our area sprayed, but stopped doing it because of cost and the health risks were more then the WNV risks.

This is where ecological remedies would come in handy. Instead of having retention and detention ponds laying around, a simple device aerates the water. People need to encourage bats, as a bat can eat its weight in mosquitos a night.

Our county for awhile was giving out bathouses for people to keep in their yard.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
EVERYTHING is toxic.
Over analysis leads to paralysis.

top topics

join