It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is the most powerful Crime Syndicate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The organized crime syndicates are secret societies in ever sense of the word. The influence our society in many ways and behind closed doors. I wanted to know what people thought were the most powerful of these groups.

Heres a list of some of the major players

Italian Mafia (Italy) duh
Red Mafia (Russia)
Triads (China)
Yakuza (Japan)
Columbia Drug Cartels (Columbia)duh again

Please add any others if you think they apply

IMO it is the Red Mafia. They have since the fall of the USSR only become more powerful then ever as it was a breeding ground to this type of stuff. They have some really smart and dangerous people in their ranks Ex-KGB Ex-Spetnaz. They play chess the thinking mans game. They are the group that could get their hands on a nuclear weapon or some Uranium-235 or really anything in the Russian military inventory.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Do you think Al-queda would fit into the category?
They seem to have widespread influence..

LL1

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
AQ...

They seem to have everyone SHOOK!

They are organized.
They are secret.
They influnce society.
And they more than likely deal with all the criminal elements on your list.
And they have gone international...

LL1

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
"The sixteenth century saw the rise of a powerful society based upon a secret cult, in the mountains of Afghanistan - the Roshaniya, Illuminated ones."

www.mystae.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

You mean Al-CIAeda dont you? A mixture of (Western, Middle Eastern and European Intelligence Agencies)

Im not so much concerned with these folks having Uranium 235 so much as what Secretary Cohen talked about On April 28, 1997.

Secretary of Defense William Cohen at an April 1997 counterterrorism conference sponsored by former Senator Sam Nunn. Quoted from DoD News Briefing, Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, Q&A at the Conference on Terrorism, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and U.S. Strategy, University of Georgia, Athens,
www.cheniere.org...

Im sorry to say its not X Files or SciFi channel nonsense, wish it was

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
They seem to have widespread influence..

AQ is a religious group, while mafia concerns itself with profit making.
So AQ does not qualify.

I think the Russian Mafia tops the list and yes, they do have connections in the intelligence, law enforcement and the army.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I believe A-Q IS interested in making money.
It's used to finance their "cause"..
Grey area I guess,

Shadow? any opinion?

LL1

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ever see those designer bags on the streets of NYC?

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I was thinking more of classic style Mafia group with money and power as the main goal. But the more I think about it A-Q seems to fit more and more into this group. So I guess they could be factored into this group.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Heres a interesting bit of info I found while looking into some of these groups.

In the ninth century, Sicily was occupied by Arab forces. The native Sicilians were oppressed and took refuge in the surrounding hills. The Sicilians formed a secret society to unite the natives against the Arab and Norman invaders. This secret society was called Mafia after the Arabic word for refuge.

Wierd even the word Mafia comes from Arabic roots. Sorry to get off topic just thought it was interesting

LL1

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You know that saying: "your enemy is my friend"
Well the crime elements have become AQ's "friends" so to speak.
Drugs, etc...

project_pisces

"You mean Al-CIAeda dont you?" lol
That was funny.. really, I liked that. I'm going to bite that!
I'll pay you royalties...

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Heres a interesting bit of info I found while looking into some of these groups.

Wierd even the word Mafia comes from Arabic roots. Sorry to get off topic just thought it was interesting

Weird AND creepy. Interesting though..

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here are some less known ones well atleast to me
they were. Well except for the Mexican one I knew about that but forgot to put it on the list

Jamaican -- The Jamaican Posse underworld (from Kingston) has developed a reputation as one of the first "nontraditional" organized crime groups. They basically developed the marketing techniques for crack, controlling about 40% of it in the U.S. They also engage in kidnapping, murder, robbery, and auto theft. There are 40 known posses operating throughout the U.S., for a total of 22,000 hardcore members.

Mafia (Neustra Cosa). Mexican -- Alien smuggling, drug trafficking, and money laundering are big business for the Mexican

Jewish -- In Israel, several Jews from the former Soviet state of Georgia have formed organized crime groups, and of course, there's been gangster-style Jewish organized crime in America ever since the days of Meyer Lansky (one of the best books on him is But He Was Good to His Mother)

heres some cool links I found on the topic

members.tripod.com...

faculty.ncwc.edu...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I'm pretty much under the impression that Al Queda is actually quite small and insignificant, its just that everytime the press come across some minor militant muslim group they feel the need to say that they have links to Al Queda because at some time in the last 20 years one of its members met with someone who had recieved money from an Al Queda source.
Even here in Thailand you get this nonsense, foreign press trying to link smuggling gangs (very common here) with them and suchlike.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
the bush administration...they are the biggest,baddest,meanest bunch on the planet...and they dont care who they kill

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
red mafia

to much money = to much power and has access to nuclear weapons

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix
the bush administration...they are the biggest,baddest,meanest bunch on the planet...and they dont care who they kill

you beat me to it, but i would also say that the British govt our bunch of R.Soles too.

top topics

join