It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Hurricane Season May Add More Problems to US Economy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Our US economy is making the news on the weather channel.

The worst of hurricane season is ahead. With tumbling stock markets, hurricane season can bring some serious pain.

More bad news on our economy from systems clean-up costs.

Meteorologists at AccuWeather.com predict four direct hits on the United States by tropical systems this year. Clean-up costs from those storms will drain already fragile state budgets in a tumbling stock market.

Storms predicted for hurricane season for the US..

With four predicted tropical system hits this year, severe weather damage totals will grow.

How much does a hurricane cost?

The median cost of an Atlantic hurricane that hits land in the United States is $1.8 billion (2011 adjusted). The median cost is the most accurate measure of the middle of the data because Hurricane Katrina's immense damage, at $145 billion (2011 adjusted), inflates the average cost of a hurricane to close to $9 billion.

And now for the good news...

The hurricane costs don't include costs from tropical storms. Slower-moving storms hover over an area, dumping more rain than a hurricane with high winds that quickly passes through.

Article
edit on 8-8-2011 by summer5 because: add link to source

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
And how accurate were they last year?? Oh darn they missed completely because none hit. Waste of our dollars.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I predict there will be only one hurricane of concern this year..
off the east coast....

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I predict the winter is going to be extremely cold with immense amounts of snow in the north. I predict 3-5 Category 5 hurricanes but am not sure where they will hit. I also predict spring 2012 to be the worst for flooding, exceeding 2011.

Reasoning...

The heat waves have made the water in the lakes in the north so warm that they will be evaporating at such an extent during the cold season that there will be massive amounts of snow fall. This will also create super storms at the end of August-Sept to the north and due to the already saturated flood planes less water will be absorbed by the ground compounding problems next year.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Every year it seems like I hear that this will be a bad hurricane season. I will be hoping that there are not any really bad hurricanes this year as we have been having other disasters that are going to cost millions, if not billions of dollars to clean up and the year is not even over yet. And I agree that a bad hurricane would be not be good for the economy.

It seems like this year I keep hearing about tornadoes, and I never remember this many, but I am not from that area. Maybe it just seems like there are more, or this has just been a bad year for tornadoes.

If these disasters continue, eventually the government and insurance companies will not be able to pay to repair things, as it will get too expensive. Insurance companies have said that this has been most expensive year for natural disasters in history.

Link

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRemedial

I predict the winter is going to be extremely cold with immense amounts of snow in the north. I predict 3-5 Category 5 hurricanes but am not sure where they will hit. I also predict spring 2012 to be the worst for flooding, exceeding 2011.

Reasoning...

The heat waves have made the water in the lakes in the north so warm that they will be evaporating at such an extent during the cold season that there will be massive amounts of snow fall. This will also create super storms at the end of August-Sept to the north and due to the already saturated flood planes less water will be absorbed by the ground compounding problems next year.

I agree,
My winter concern here in wisconsin is a year for ice storms..
Ive read it will be a great chance to see way above norm temps into late October
Though it could change quickly,, Im thinking a wet winter.. icy and lots of power outages,

As for the hurricains,, not feelin it this year

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
I predict there will be only one hurricane of concern this year..
off the east coast....
Hmmm,.
I wonder if this will be the "ONE "

edit on 23-8-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join