It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where have all the birds gone to ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I live in Norwich in Norfolk in the UK. At this time of year like as any other time of the year we are usually graced with the often deafening noise of birds singing there songs. Especially in the morning before the traffic starts on the roads. We are a countryside town so it came as a bit of a strange feeling this week to realise that literally all the birds are no where to be seen or even heard. Not even any sea gulls either. Nothing. Total dead silence. I have waited before posting this thread. However despite waiting and continuing to look, still I am astonished to discover not even one little bird. Nothing. I am wondering what is going on. Have they all migrated ? Are they all dead ? Anyone got any similar testimony ? Any theory ? Is this because of climate changes ? Is this because of pollution ? Sign of a severe winter coming ? Is this because of the dry weather ? We have had weather much more dry than this before and it did not cause the birds to disappear like this.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I live in Ipswich, Suffolk, UK. (For sake of thread, the county below Norfolk). I can see a dove on a neighbours roof aerial, 2 pigeons on a lampost, and as I looked outside... a blackbird flew by.
Don't panic yet!!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
ye the seasons are all messed up today me and my workmate whos in his 50s so hes seen alot of summers ,we noticed the leaves falling off the trees and how brown they all look like its autumn already .maybe thats explains why there is no song birds no cover from predators .

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I guess it's mostly because of the weather, it is bad, here in Germany it's not summer, it feels more like autumn with all the rain and stormy weather.
It indeed got a lot quieter (in the same time there are a lot more Bugs, Bee's and other crap flying around) except for the annoying pigeons, they are still around and we aren't even allowed to kill them

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

leave the cushydoos alone ye animal ,its there earth too

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Something I was going to post but didn't know how to approach it was the fact just from personal observation the amount of flies and midges around seems to have really dropped and as these are part of a bird's diet someway of making any correlation would be interesting.
edit on 8/8/11 by goldentorch because: grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think that many Birds are already finished with their Business of Re-Production,
there is no need to sing or do crazy things any more like they do in the Spring!

I even think that some Bird are already on their way to the South like the Swallow,
here they train already a lot and in one or two Weeks they will go!

Swallows are my Favourites!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm in the Pacific Northwest of US. There are a few crows that do nothing but make a huge racket allll of the time. It sounds like they are attacking each other or fighting furiously over something. It's been a little disconcerting.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Interesting that at least in Germany it has been raining. Which might be the reason for us here in Norwich not having any birds in that the birds have perhaps migrated to be where the rain has been falling in Germany ?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Why would you want to kill pigeons?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
I think that many Birds are already finished with their Business of Re-Production,
there is no need to sing or do crazy things any more like they do in the Spring!

I even think that some Bird are already on their way to the South like the Swallow,
here they train already a lot and in one or two Weeks they will go!

Swallows are my Favourites!

In the UK we have the birds singing all the year around. They fly in from the European Continent, from as far away as Russia and even from Siberia to escape the cold of the winter. We also had an entire colony of Swans flew in from Greenland and they landed in Liverpool two years ago. That was a strange event at the time and this changing of the weather has been going on for some years now. We used to see swarms of starlings and sparrows wheeling about in the sky, but they have all gone.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Eat them maybe? Doubt it though lol Pidgeons are rats with wings, manky things.

Here in Glasgow I can assure everyone that seagulls are positively thriving, get woken with them in the early hours or cant get to sleep because of them in the early hours. I have noticed though a lack of magpies which to be honest im not complaining about.

I dont know about the weather having anything to do with the OP not seeing / hearing birds, but I've said before on another thread that people are destroying the habitat that songbirds live in and the more we do so the less birds we will see.

There is also this bird virus spreading through the UK, it could be part of the reason.

Regardless, the world will be a poorer place if our songbirds or any bird for that matter disappears

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

Why would you want to kill pigeons?

Certain people have a primative predatory killing instinct. They attack at the small creatures, pigeons or ducks, because the little things cannot fight back. If they attack the humans, like as did Breivik in Norway, then obviously they end up with problems. Same insanity "autistic psychopathic psychosis". Also called "sadism". One very outstanding example was the "Blood Countess" of Hungary "Elizabeth Bathory". She tortured and killed more than six hundred of her servants. Same psychopathic drive to kill the weak. Do you think that some one might have been killing all the little birds ?

edit on 8/8/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm a fairly avid birder. In most areas there are interest groups or government departments that count bird populations/spieces on a regular basis. If you are particularly concerned you can drive around and do counts in your area yourself and compare your results with theirs. Keep in mind that you will have to do a number of counts in order to avoid anomalies.

If you pursue this there are a number of great resources to help you identify birds in your area by image, description or sound. I use Ibird Pro on my IPad and the Sibley guide book in North America but there will cetainly be excellent equivialnts in the UK. Mobile device apps are fun because you can use the sound function to get birds to call back to you.

Keep in mind that nature alway keeps us guessing and that birds will come and go over very short periods for whatever reason. Also there is a perception that certain birds have disappeared and others are taking over. Often this is explained do to shifts in their range do to things like linear disturbances (something we suffer from greatly here do to the oil industry), and agricultural change of the landscape, etc.

Good luck finding an answer. Very nice avatar by the way.
D.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
I'm a fairly avid birder. In most areas there are interest groups or government departments that count bird populations/spieces on a regular basis. If you are particularly concerned you can drive around and do counts in your area yourself and compare your results with theirs. Keep in mind that you will have to do a number of counts in order to avoid anomalies.

If you pursue this there are a number of great resources to help you identify birds in your area by image, description or sound. I use Ibird Pro on my IPad and the Sibley guide book in North America but there will cetainly be excellent equivialnts in the UK. Mobile device apps are fun because you can use the sound function to get birds to call back to you.

Keep in mind that nature alway keeps us guessing and that birds will come and go over very short periods for whatever reason. Also there is a perception that certain birds have disappeared and others are taking over. Often this is explained do to shifts in their range do to things like linear disturbances (something we suffer from greatly here do to the oil industry), and agricultural change of the landscape, etc.

Good luck finding an answer. Very nice avatar by the way.
D.

Yes. I too am very much hoping that this lack of birds in my locality is simply a temporary phenomenon. Your knowledge about birds and their behaviors is better than mine. We recently did have a big idiot [autistic psychopath] move in next door, who immediately removed a beautiful dense growth of laylandi evergreens, which I suspect was looked on by the birds as a winter shelter. The sudden removal of the laylandi bushes might have frightened them all away ? What I am worried about is that the lack of any birds whatsoever might be a wider phenomenon than just my immediate locality. It could be something much bigger going on with the birds migrating south into France and the Mediterranean to escape an approaching severe winter ?

edit on 8/8/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
We already know that the majority of our species will fall victim to our never-ending polluting of the planet!

So the least we can do while we can is feed them and water them seasonally! My guess the migratory path is from the UK through Spain and down into Africa, from Winter to Summer. Libya would be in that line of sight and could have disrupted migrations! Not Libya herself, but NATO in their attempts at preventing Libya from freeing the African Union; all in the name of NWO of course! Who knows what kind of radar disruption devices they use for war these days! Flocks would get lost!

I feed my birds year-round. I make a mix of seeds depending on what is available, plus I have a turkey that I am feeding! I have seen Western Cardinals in the Desert Southwest! I saw some Tanager this year, and an assortment of Sparrows 10 or more species. One wild Ringneck Pheasant flew over this Spring. Tons of quail. I found a duck egg left by the dogs; maybe we will have baby ducks here soon!

I am thankful I am on a migratory path as well, every Spring and every Fall the birds migrate from North America, into Mexico, and down through South America. The corridor here is called El Paso del Norte, along the Rio Grande River.

Hopefully your birds will somehow make it back there! Put out food for them just in case and fresh water at all times.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As we speak - plenty of birds of all kinds here in So. Calif. Looks pretty normal to me. I back up to a creek/riparian area. Lots of egrets, herons, blackbirds, finches, there are the usual ducks and young in the creek, I see a turkey vulture overhead, and a red-shoulder hawk flew by screeching with a lizard in it's talons a few minutes ago.

Checked with some friends in neighboring states - looks all normal to them too. Nothing out of the ordinary. Plenty of bees, insects, fish, too.

edit on 8/8/2011 by Outrageo because:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Its looking like it is something limited to your area. It may be a temporary thing. Please do let us know how long this keeps up though. Not seeing even 1 bird is just too incredible a thing not to keep tabs on.

Here in Southern Ontario, Canada there are still lots of different birds about. I just returned from the Canadian Maritime provinces along the Atlantic and there were many more birds and critters of all sort out there than there are here. The environment there is much less spoiled.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

i think its the full eco-system lack of berries and nuts grown on trees make things likes stoats and squirrels eat other things like song bird eggs ,if you looked at the recent attack in norway the polar bear was about 9 stone under weight no wonder it felt like a little snack on some silly campers .

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

Hi guys, reporting from Poland. No trouble with birds here either in the city (Warsaw, capital) or in the woods - just came back from vacation in the Mountains.

What troubles me most is the sparrow population drastically decreasing through last say 10 years - I remember being a kid and sparrows chirping everywhere, waking me in the morning, keeping company outside. I read somewhere it's just a problem of pigeons eating the same stuff as sparrows thus making the food difficult for them to get.

So what's the sparrow status in your countries, may I ask?

<<   2 >>

join