It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bottle cap fishing lures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The reality is this not so much a real survival skill as it is something to do with your beer bottle caps while you sit around camp telling fish stories... but if you find yourself needing a lure and don't have one... here's what you do...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0af138e73776.jpg[/atsimg]

First, bend your bottle caps. Bend them so that you have at least between 1/8"-1/4" gap between the sides in the middle. if you want to add weight now is the time, BB's lead sinkers of just a few small pebbles will work...just place the weight inside and crimp the bottle cap closed to hold in place...

Use a nail or ice pick and a hammer or just a big rock...to punch a hole at the top and bottom of the fishing lure through the fins....

then you Insert a split ring into the bottom hole to hold a treble hook. Insert a barrel swivel into the top hole to complete the assembly....

The lesion here is to use what you have on hand... obviously you'll need a hook but in a pinch you can make one out of a long sewing needle... that split ring can come off your car key ring... provided it's a small one... be creative... by the way... the shinier the cap the better the fish like em...

That's it how to make a bottle cap lure... now you have something else to do with your dead solders

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks. Good idea.

That red and white could pass for a red devil lure and the Pike gobble those things up like candy.

Good post.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the tip.

Ever tried using fat rubber bands for bate? I have had great success using them, in shallow areas with lots of fish it's like fly fishing. I try to use bright colors to attract them more, a little wiggle on the pole and the rubber band looks like a worm wiggling and swimming.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Awesome idea! You're just a wealth of information

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I will be telling my buddy about this tip-he makes lures from old sweet wrappers-mainly the coloured cellophane and tinfoil wrappers you get in a big tin of sweets like"quality street."

He has quite the knack for knowing what combinations work for different types of fish.
But they don't last that well he tells me,so I think he would love to have a go at this.
I don't fish as a veggie,but I actually think we should be allowed to fish for food in the UK,but "OH no!" says the government-its even illegal to "tickle" for trout here now.

At least wild fish have a free life before they are caught to be eaten...In the UK a fish can be caught many many times,which I think is more cruel that catching it once and eating it.

More great info from DB,can't wait for the next thread Buddy!

BTW,If you have any knowledge of how to make a WORKING insect repellant(preferably from nature) please make a thread on that-they are eating me alive in Wales at the moment-and I think they are immune to my water/citronella mix I use.
Itchy thanks,sorry for off topic.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

BTW,If you have any knowledge of how to make a WORKING insect repellant(preferably from nature) please make a thread on that-they are eating me alive in Wales at the moment-and I think they are immune to my water/citronella mix I use.
Itchy thanks,sorry for off topic.

smoke any kind of smoke.... Cedar wood smoke is great at keeping the wee beasties away....
just build a fire... let it go to hot red coals... then throw on your green wood... so it smokes like all get out,,, oh pine bark bark is pretty good for that too

no real trick to that...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think I found a new hobby!

Now if that is not the coolest way to make fishing lures!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was watching 'NOODLING' on Animal Planet (I think) yesterday

But ofcourse noodling only works with Catfish and/or certain other types of fishes

Thanks for another useful tip.

edit on 8-8-2011 by hp1229 because: content

edit on 8-8-2011 by hp1229 because: content

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Wow , now that is interesting. I have never heard of that, but then again I never use the rubber worms.
I love Trout fishing, so always used Salmon eggs, power bait or the Super Duper a lure that looks like a money clip. Beyond trout I enjoy Deep Water fishing.
Stared you my man & OP hit you up as well, great idea on the straws, & LOVE the lures!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
After talking with DaMod yesterday I should add I have taken fish with these...
Back in May I took a 2 pound bass with a Coke ™ bottle cap...

as a side biz I use to sell these at the flea market for $5 bucks... your not going to get rich selling these but they do make for great gifts to your favorite beer guzzling/Fishermen

new topics

top topics

join