It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite or Meteor-wrong? Any experts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I found this specimen at a local beach.

I came back a week later to see a storm had washed driftwood and most of the sand away from it.

I drilled a test hole to see what its made of, Solid metal as can be seen in my test drill.

Shimmering piece i broke off of it.

And flat spot revealed after digging it up and flipping it on its side. I estimate this specimen to be 400-600 lbs.

This is highly magnetic and extremely heavy for its size. Could the flat spot have been caused by glacial movement? Any thoughts?

edit on 8-8-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

Please check out my other thread on the subject for more info. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8-8-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Unable to see any of the images. Links not working for me.

Try the 'img' tag, and put direct url's to embed the images instead.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
links are broken
but im interested

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
you gotta put [atsimg] tags in mate

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well if you look at all 4 pages of meteor wrongs pics, you can see that its very difficult to determine what is and isn't without testing. To make matters worse common rocks have been altered as forgeries. Yes its not just for Picasso anymore.

I recovered two specimens this weekend after driving stakes and charting out the field. One weighs in at 252 grams. The other is the remaining half after exploding high in the sky. There were many smaller ones I just left behind the size of a 25 or 50cent piece. The larger one will be going in to get certified and since we only have 6 found in our state it will be the 7th and command the upper portion of the scale. (2-7 dollars per gram) The smaller fragments almost always have a 'complete burn' to the surface, on this type as they come off and heat much faster than the large ones. When its dry you should be able to see the crazing just like older antique china in the melted glass surface. Btw...its important to only wash them in soap and water. No scrubbing or cleaning. The calcium build up in the cracks and very old layers of growth such as this one determine its been out there a very long time. Its just like antiques. Destroy the patina and its worthless, as it could be a fraud.

It weighs beyond my scale so it is 3600+ grams. It looks like this:

edit on 8-8-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

wow very nice find! Any thoughts on what I may have found?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I looked at your pics but the resolution is way too low to tell. You need sharp crisp pics.

I think if you look close at mine you will see it was slowly tumbling on the way in. The positive identifier is the leading edge became molten and they liquid stone dripped backwards onto the heated stone and cooled. Each leading edge of mine has the molten drips. You could look at the lower left and see the puddles flowing to the upper right. Each of the leading edges has the drips that hardened as they were flowing to the rear, so we know it was slowly tumbling and a different part became hot and molten as it became the leading edge. Try looking for that on the edges of yours but depending on the material it may or may not have heated and melted like that.

If you are pretty certain then you will need to get it authenticated and get a written certificate for it. No one will touch a large one without documentation.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I can see you pics now.

The flat spot means someone has probably found it already and cut a sample off? On its side it looks more like a fence gate support from concrete, but the resolution is too low in the pics to tell much more.

Mine is so dense when i hit the underside with my rock hammer really hard I got wrist shock and not even a scratch on the stone.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

it's not concrete, it's solid metal-iron, magnetic.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
you might as well take it home, then go to pawn stars with it and im sure they will know an expert on meteorites

new topics

top topics

join