It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(6 New ) Weapons That You Literally Cannot Hide From

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
OK you guys, so this is old news but news to me. I can only imagine what they may have now. Thought everyone would be interested to read this.

Wars have been won and lost purely on the ability of one side to hide really well. Even a superior enemy can't take you out if they can't find you. Give ancient Rome barbarian-seeking arrows, and we'd still be wearing sandals to the bath house to wipe ourselves with sticks.

OK, bad example.

Finally, in the 21st century, technology is catching up to the problem with weapons that almost seem like cheating. So we're not sure if we should be impressed or terrified by...

#6.Bullets That Will Outright Chase Your Ass Down

Really the only thing there is to know about bullets is that they travel in a straight line. If a dude is shooting at you, you're fine as long as there's something good and solid between you and him. A car door, a sandbag, another less fortunate person you're using like a bullet proof vest. This has been the rule for the last 700 years or so.

Until somebody came up with a way to develop guided bullets.

The building full of crazed geniuses known as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), have developed the EXACTO program, which involves using "smart" bullets complete with processors and steering vanes to allow the bullet to correct its trajectory in mid-#ing-air.

So even if you duck around a corner as some asshole is shooting at you, his bullets will supposedly be able to just swing around and follow your ass. We aren't talking about some wimpy small-caliber bullets either; the only size they are building these in (for now) are .50 caliber BMG, huge rounds which are intended either to kill trucks, or explode a guy's head from several miles away.

Just in case the word "overkill" hasn't entered your mind yet, they've got a much more explodey version of that idea, too. It's the XM-25 "smart" grenade launcher. It has a laser range-finder built in that can detect the distance to the wall or trench that you're hiding behind. That way the shell knows not to explode until it's right next to your #ing head. That's right; it won't detonate until after it punches through the wall you're hiding behind, but just before it hits you in the nose.

The XM-25 has a range of different munitions it can use, from high explosive to thermobaric, all of which are designed to make your trip to the other side as sudden and unexpected as it is horrifying.

#5.BOSS Will Find You

But they can't shoot at you if they can't find you, right? After all, two can play the sniper game, and maybe you're hidden a hundred yards away in some bushes, or peeking through a small hole in a building.

#4.Flying Sniper Botshttp
#3.Sniper Bombs
#2.Next-Generation Bunker-Busters
#1.Kinetic Fireball Incendiaries

This is really amazing all the high tech weaponry we possess. Thought I would show you guys the ''power'' we have at our fingertips. I just wish we all had peace and nO need of these things...

Sigh...
Please read full article here:
www.cracked.com...
www.cracked.com...

Powerful deadly Stuff huh?..

Please feel free to comment..
edit on 7-8-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
For a bullet to follow you around a corner it would take a lot more force than can be provided by little airplane wings on the bullet.

What I would guess that guided bullets would be more realistically used for is stuff like very long sniper shots. The little corrections could add up over a long distance and significantly improve the range at which a sniper could hit a target, and improve your hit percentage at already achievable distances.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11andrew34
For a bullet to follow you around a corner it would take a lot more force than can be provided by little airplane wings on the bullet.

What I would guess that guided bullets would be more realistically used for is stuff like very long sniper shots. The little corrections could add up over a long distance and significantly improve the range at which a sniper could hit a target, and improve your hit percentage at already achievable distances.

yeah thats more reasonable..a bullet would be traveling way to fast for any typa manuevering through hallways or right angles

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
nice post OP

I find it hard to believe a bullet can turn corners though I have seen "5th Element" where Zorg showcases his 'recall' button on the ZF-1

and then there's that 'wanted' movie where Jolie and co can make a bullet go in an arc by a flick of the wrist

can it follow you through a winding alley in Morroco?

I do consider a sniper would indeed find this handy though, or a hunter

cheers

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments /replies everyone.

I hope it is ok to add this here. It kind of connects
It's aLL about weapons , Right?
6 Creepy New Weapons the Police and Military Use To Subdue Unarmed People
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just feel they belong together

It all fascinates me , ... but Again, wish we didn't HAVE to HAVE it though. I wish for peace in the valley once again .Edit to add: Had to go get some

edit on 7-8-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It sounds a whole lot like this.

www.imdb.com...

I'd watched this when I was a kid and thought it was great at the time. It had bullets about .50 size, able to track and adjust course in mid air and tracking by the unique heat signature of a person. All such wild science fiction back when this movie came out. Amazing how it becomes real, isn't it?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah.
Watch todays' sy fi and see tomorrows' future! Here here!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Where in the world did you get the idea that wars are won by who can hide better? I didn't see much hiding in the Civil War or World War 1. It was basically who had the most people to survive the gunfire that came out ahead.

Wars are won by those who can out produce the other side in terms of goods and soldiers not anything to do with hiding.

There are exceptions such as Vietnam but usually that is the case.
edit on 7-8-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:
(1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight
(2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.
(3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks
(4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.
(5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign

- Sun Tzu, the art of war

new topics

top topics

join