It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noise? Thoughts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What is that B'OINK sound at the beginning of the video. What would make a noise sound like that?

It's not a Motorcycle engine, [I used to have a motorcycle, so I know what one sounds like even with Harley pipes on it, not to mention going to the bike rallies all the time.]

My A/C is off. The night is quiet, all you hear are crickets at night.

I know that it was no dodge ball bouncing from Mars to Earth and back.

[I'm sure you remember what that sounded like.]

That sound was not no military plane. Been around military aircraft, most of my life. I know what one sounds like.

I did not hear this. The camera did. Is this better?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Maybe some sort of frog?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Yeah, not that loud.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sounds like somebody flicking one of those springy door stops behind a door:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Maybe it's a sound from inside the camera. My old one does that and you don't notice till you're watching movies back.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can hear a dog barking in the background.

Otherwise ???
???

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Your introduction indicates this sound was recorded by the camera (model?) but could not be heard by ear. Let's explore the camera artifact angle first. Were the camera batteries near their end-of-life (low voltage malfunction theory)? Did the sound occur at the very begining of a new recording? middle? end (recording position artifact theory)? Have you ever heard any other strange unidentifiable sounds in recordings from this camera (repetitive malfunction theory)?

Another possibility could be that this was a very familiar sound by ear, that your mind subsequently ignored, but sounded very unfamiliar when recorded. A squeaky floor is a good example of this effect. We don't notice our homes floor squeaks when we walk across a room but they standout when we listen to a recording. Possible?

Another possibility could be a high frequency noise outside our hearing range that through the phenomena of aliasing (digitally sampling of a signal with frequency components above the sampling rate) it got transformed into a low frequency growl. A dog in particular should be very annoyed by high frequency sounds. Possible?

Any other data points you can share that would stimulate new ideas?

Best regards,
Z

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrZrD

Your introduction indicates this sound was recorded by the camera (model?) but could not be heard by ear. Let's explore the camera artifact angle first. Were the camera batteries near their end-of-life (low voltage malfunction theory)? Did the sound occur at the very begining of a new recording? middle? end (recording position artifact theory)? Have you ever heard any other strange unidentifiable sounds in recordings from this camera (repetitive malfunction theory)?

Were the camera batteries near their end-of-life (low voltage malfunction theory)?
I don't think it has batteries. I hook it up to the charger and stick that chip in. Fully Charged.

Did the sound occur at the very beginning of a new recording?
Yes

Have you ever heard any other strange unidentifiable sounds in recordings from this camera (repetitive malfunction theory)?
No

Another possibility could be that this was a very familiar sound by ear?
I swear there absolutely no sound but crickets.

A dog in particular should be very annoyed by high frequency sounds. Possible?
Dog you hear is my neighbors dog that never stops barking, my dog was next to me and only barks and growls when one approaches. He did not bark or growl at anything. He's a very quiet dog and very lazy.

Any other data points you can share that would stimulate new ideas?
I don't know what you mean? I'll let you know when I do.

Thank you.

edit on 7-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply. Only one explanation comes to mind; this could be a sound from the lens extension motor, assuming your camera is equipped with one. If for some reason the motor was still running when a recording started (you said it was at the very beginning) I suspect it would sound very loud on the recording but be inaudible to the camera operator.

Normally this situation should not be possible but it could be a design error in the camera (insufficient delay exiting sleep mode, for example) or a loose internal gear (causing the motor to run longer) or any other reason that could cause the motor to run when a recording is in progress. This theory is easy to test, use another recorder (the memo feature of a cell phone, for example) to record the sounds your camera makes starting up. If they are similar, this mystery is solved.

Best regards,
Chris

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

I would go with that argument, but all I did was stop the filming and re start the filming. Lens was already out. It didn't go in.

I basically just paused the video "clicked" the button, then "clicked the button to restart up and film,

Would it do that too? Didn't do it on the other the videos and that specific video is "41", 36 was the the flying thing I caught, that turned out to be maybe a reflection, in my garage window, but still doesn't explain the metallic noise. Mufflers don't sound like that.

And it didn't happened on any other video.

I'm stumped.

Thanks

top topics

join