It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armour - Possible revolutionary German protection system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was reading a Military Technology magazine published by the Moench Group. The main article was an analysis of Allied armour in Iraq, discussing various research for AFV defence. Anyway they talked about the British electric armour concept for a while; but right st the very end of the article they mentioned a German company. The editor of MilTech was shown a video of both CE and KE rounds being destroyed several meters in front of the AFV by some ' process '. The company refused to elaborate more on the technology or supply test pictures.
Anyway I've forgotten the name of the company, and haven't been able to turn up anything else on the net.
Has anyone else heard of this and if you have please post some information.

[edit on 17-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think it is some kind of small antimisille defense system, nothing special. It is similar to the shotgun and destroys the misille during the flight. I heard about some german company(I think it's the same) developing it. They are not alone- Russians have Arena and aussie MetalStorm could be also used for the same thing. But I think LOSAT misille will have no problem with such defense systems(it has 20 kg AP warehead and speed up to 1500m/s).

[edit on 17-8-2004 by longbow]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
There were no visible projectiles emitted from the target vehicle, anyway these wouldn't stop heavyweight KE projectiles just CE rounds. I have seen the other systems you're talking about, but these seem relatively primitive compared to what was described in the article.
Military Technology is a highly regarded journal reporting on the cutting edge of military technology. This is the reason I am giving so much weight to what they described.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's bull# I bet. The editor is either lying for a good story, or didn't understand what he saw.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Metal storm it could be that the US thinking about putting it on ships or using it as an infantry weapon it spits out 1.000.000 RPM. They could destroy a incoming round, but other than that I don't know of nay new type of defense system for tanks.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kozzy
It's bull# I bet. The editor is either lying for a good story, or didn't understand what he saw.

Well, I guess he is only an expert, what would he know.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is the premier military technology publication in the world.

Does anyone have any useful information ?

Kozzy stick to threads you might actually know something about.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
When a rocket hits the vehicle breaking the first layer of armour the electric armour activates and stops the rocket or metal jet.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
When a rocket hits the vehicle breaking the first layer of armour the electric armour activates and stops the rocket or metal jet.

Yes it is only effective against RPG size shaped charges and has no effectiveness against Kenetic Energy rounds. That's what makes this german concept potentionally so revolutionary.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I think someone has posted something simillar in the past. About some german corp. developing tank defence.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by Kozzy

Well, I guess he is only an expert, what would he know.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is the premier military technology publication in the world.

Does anyone have any useful information ?

Kozzy stick to threads you might actually know something about.

Hmmm, take you own friggin advice.

Asshole.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I think someone has posted something simillar in the past. About some german corp. developing tank defence.

Yep I did back in May I read this thread on TANKNET and posted some of the findings here on this board.

THe company is IDB [maker of MEXAS for Stryker] and some one on that site was also at the same meeting. YOu can read the exchange on TANKNET ,but it flabergasted the audience I gather.

Don't quote me on this but there was a rummor going around that a light AFV mounted with this active defence system stopped a 120mm APFSDS round.....don't shoot me thats what I heard rummored and given the sources its quite credible report.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I knew that sounded familiar. Here is a link to the old thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seekerof had some additional links in there, too. A (very casual) web search did not turn up any new developments for me.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre

Seekerof had some additional links in there, too. A (very casual) web search did not turn up any new developments for me.

There was the following link posted here....

www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,5461,00.html

But I can't find what the person was alluding too

[edit on 18-8-2004 by psteel]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Metal storm it could be that the US thinking about putting it on ships or using it as an infantry weapon it spits out 1.000.000 RPM. They could destroy a incoming round, but other than that I don't know of nay new type of defense system for tanks.

I saw that gun in action on the History channel. Man O Man. The Army has nothing to worry about. It can hit a tank like a cheese grater.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre

Thanks for the help spectre and psteel much apreciated
. It stands to reason that if this system is as revolutionary as it seems, information would be stamped Above Top Secret. I'll see if I can find some additional info. Cheers.

[edit on 19-8-2004 by mad scientist]

top topics

join