It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $1BN bet someone made against the US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
An other reason why there shouldn't been rankings , it brings only choas along with the media .

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Interesting how NOBODY in the financial news or the media-in-general are speaking a word of this. To me, this is a huge story that many Americans would be interested in.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The thing you are missing here is that it wasn't as if nobody saw this coming. I am suprised more didn't bet against the US. The US government has always thought it can spend its way out of problems but in this case it couldn't. The irony is that the Obama administration criticised the UK after the elections when they decided to cut and cut fast, yet here we stand with the UK with its tripple A rating in tact and the investor safe haven of europe. Yet the US under the incompetant stewardship of obama has just been stripped of its rating for the first time in its history.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I was thinking Soros, too. It's exactly what he did when the British collapse of the pound happened.

Perhaps every "trade" and "bid" should be public information.

I never heard of him until boon pointed it out here.....but who knows? Any one of the Bilderbergers could have done this. Should it be anonymous? HEY! What if it was a pool, like a game-day pool, at Anonymous!!

It turns my stomach.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
the most sickening part is that the rating was lost, in part, to "disfunctional gov't "

what a mockery, what a set-up, what a disgrace

the worst part is it is entirely legal

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

true, but it is a short walk to get to the bettor influencing the good folks at S&P if not outright cutting them in on it

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Where the hell is BoondockSaint when you need him.
No better member at tracing the money.

Banned for some reason and that was a giant let down when I noticed that. Way to go ATS

on topic
insider trading sounds like how they run. What does this actually mean? Who pays this?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
Where the hell is BoondockSaint when you need him.
No better member at tracing the money.

I second the Soros statement.

I messaged Boondock back in July, only to find that he's been banned. HUH?

Anyway, I wanted to get his opinion of George Soros being the 'invisible trader'. I figured this due to his closing his fund to outside investors (including his current clients) and his sell-off of gold back in March. It definatelly looked like he was positioning himself for something big.

He's probably in Camp David now, toasting it up with his other investment...Barry.

Edit: By 'He' I meant 'George' and not 'Boondock'.
edit on 6-8-2011 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This has been discussed.

Btw, this was a TERRIBLE trade.

P.P.S - this trade is small potatoes. Remember, someone had to be ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS TRADE for it to happen. A lot of hype.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I hope the SEC investigates this one. One hell of a trade on a "hunch".

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh you can bet your sweet ass this bet was made in full faith with insider information.

I have a feeling the downgrade was planned out a long time ago and is part of some bigger plan (more bailouts from the people).

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It wasnt much of a secret. When they gave the projection of "negative" all the smart money ran for the hills. I'm quite shocked this person invested agian, rather than in the bank of mattress though! I expect a treasury bubble burst by early Fall or sooner. Maybe on Monday.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Traders in a way bet on Wars and Famines every day, it requires a bit of swallowing of innocence to see this , but it has always been so, millionares in the USA became billionares by investing and then hoping that the war sstarted, and they used up lots of bombs and bullets, this is fact.
They are influential Americans (their families) today war profiteers , so this bet is perhaps not that evil in the scheme of things.
We are all facing ruin in the west because of profiteers, who will be super rich whatever happens.
They have Gold in store, and will be in Monaco or switzerland when the next war comes.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
Interesting how NOBODY in the financial news or the media-in-general are speaking a word of this. To me, this is a huge story that many Americans would be interested in.

I can explain this to you why NOBODY is talking about this much. It comes down to the scenario on Sept. 15th 2008. I'm sure Bernanke and Timmy boy are worried about an electonic bank run and the sell off of our "Safe" debt US treasuries. This time we cant afford fear in the economy! There would be no economy left.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy

An unknown trader made about $10 billion dollars in a short against the US AAA credit rating.

Any wonder that some members of congress seemed to WANT things to get messed up in regards to the budget process? It would be interesting to watch the bankrolls of all the congressional members and see who made out big in this scenario

www.marketoracle.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is why naked short sellers are banned but arent monitored. We can blame the Hedge fund managers again, and again. The SEC should be working instead of playing on their Yachts.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Umm.. this link is not true.

The trade in question was one of the biggest losing trades in history. Have you seen the 30 year bond price over the past 10 days?

Remember : This guy was SHORT treasuries, NOT long

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life

Umm.. this link is not true.

The trade in question was one of the biggest losing trades in history. Have you seen the 30 year bond price over the past 10 days?

Remember : This guy was SHORT treasuries, NOT long

Thanks for the link. Yes I know the price of 30 year bonds. This time they didnt flee to the safety of bonds or gold. Cash is king at the present time. Still waiting for Sunday when the Asian markets open! shorting has it's advantages but only if you know exactly what you are doing. Not for most.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Perhaps China have been hedging their bets? They have been quite vocal at their US debt holdings. This result could be seen as a win for them.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So Boondock was banned. Way to go ATS Mods. Super fantastic.
Either personal gripes or political leaning got involved.

Yeah, the hedge funds are a huge issue.

Still, all roads are pointing back to Soros. His history/past of collapsing monetary systems provides for this.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

They didn't flee to bonds?

They were up about 5 points in the last week.

That is HUUGE.

Here is a quick tip that is super important.

YIELD and NOT RATING is the ultimate factor. Ratings mean nothing, yield is the ultimate truth. Check out the yield on a 10 or 30 yr bond. We are still king.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join