It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Optimism index' - suggests another recession has already begun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
www.marketwatch.com...

BOSTON (MarketWatch) — Investors don’t need more bad news right now, but, even before the S&P downgrade of U.S. sovereign debt late Friday, they seemed to be cognizant it was coming.

The past few days havent been....amazing, atleast for stocks and the credit rating of the US. There have been recent talks in the media about entering another recession, double dip perhaps.

The Investors Business Daily Economic Optimism Index dropped by 13.5% from July to August, with its latest reading representing the lowest point in the index’s 10-year history. The August reading of 35.8 — down from 41.4 last month — is roughly 20% below both its 12-month average and the reading from December 2007, when the economy entered recession.

Suprised?

Not surprisingly, a reading that low suggests another recession is on the way.

This was before the credit rating was stripped.

"The poll is a validation of the dark economic picture we’re all seeing,” Mayur said, speaking before S&P stripped the U.S. of its coveted AAA credit rating. “It may get better, but it’s not just going to jump up and look good again. … When there are big movements of five or six points, and historical lows on the optimism index, that has always said something. What it is saying right now is that the risks of a recession are elevated, that we’re either in one or about to be.”

And Ive been thinking the recession hasnt even ended....shame on me. Well, atleast this index hasnt hit historic lows. We still have hope!!!!.......

Not only was IBD’s overall index at historic lows, but all three of its key components — the six-month economic outlook, the personal financial outlook and confidence in federal policies — are at historic lows. Every single demographic group polled, 21 in all, showed an increasing level of pessimism over the economic outlook.

....Darn....I guess I spoke too soon.
edit on 6-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
we were never out of the recession to begin with..
the bailouts just bought time.

collapse is a given imho

SnF
edit on 6-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
NOO

not again!....

don´t let it be.
i´ve killed another thread
??

new topics

join