It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Daisy Dog - Cornwall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I thought this story might interest some of you.

I first heard of the Daisy Dog back in the 1980's when I was reading a book about ghosts and legends in Cornwall (I was born and brought up there hence the interest) and I never forgot the story. I recently looked it up on the internet and found that Karl Shucker had written a decent account of it and after re-reading the story I thought more of you might find it interesting.

The little-known folk story of the Cornish daisy dog must surely be one of the strangest and most unlikely of all historical legends - so unlikely, in fact, that it might actually be based upon fact!
source

Its a tale set in the Elizabethan times about a Japanese Princess,

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aca0ad6b4149.jpg[/atsimg]

a Pekingese dog

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4260be06a80d.jpg[/atsimg]

and a ship wreck off the Cornish coast....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/776221b18bfd.jpg[/atsimg]

And a ghostly dog that faithfully guards a dead princess and the dogs family.....

Until the 1860's the Pekingese dog was unknown in England, however... The old Cornish tale of the Daisy Dog accurately describes the Pekingese dog. It seems reasonable that the tale of the Japanese princess and the daisy dog could hold some remnants of truth. The lethal Cornish coast line is littered with the skeletons of ships and their unfortunate crews.

I'll let Karl Shuker tell the tale as he does it so much better than I ever could....

Link to the Story.....

Growing up as a child in Cornwall I was often warned not to step into a ring of Daisy's or the Fairies would take me.... I wonder if this story picks up on that theme to some extent? Anyway enjoy

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Foo Dogs!
I want to say thanks for sharing, not only as an owner of Peke mixes... as well as more interesting insight into the history of the breed.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Thanks
The story of the Daisy Dog is one of those stories that I never forgot for some reason.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing
I'm off down there in a few weeks!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i live near cornwall & have heard of this before but don't know much about it,thanks for bringing it to our attention

off topic..cornwall is a lovely place,spent many a summer down there

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stret
Thanks for sharing
I'm off down there in a few weeks!

Oooo Have fun! There are lots of lovely places to go and some lesser known places that are well worth visiting like Chysauster an Iron age village that I did a thread on a while back.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhynouk
i live near cornwall & have heard of this before but don't know much about it,thanks for bringing it to our attention

off topic..cornwall is a lovely place,spent many a summer down there

your welcome
glad you liked it! Its one of the stranger stories I've heard and there does seem to be an element of truth to it.

off topic yes it is, its the best

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Interesting story and ...

The picture of the Woman and caption is Japanese.

That should really be a Chinese Princess....Peking of which the species of Dog is named after lies in China.

The Royalty of China had gifted these Pekingese to the Royalty of England...

Good Story though..
Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nh_ee
The picture of the Woman and caption is Japanese.

That should really be a Chinese Princess....Peking of which the species of Dog is named after lies in China.

The Royalty of China had gifted these Pekingese to the Royalty of England...

blah, that's what I get for making threads when I'm half cut!

top topics

join