It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Presidential Race Too Close to Call : ATS Member Poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
In an unscientific poll conducted by our own BeingWatchedByThem from July 30- August 16, the presidential race in November looks to be one of the closest in history. After compiling the member votes, no candidate secured enough electoral votes to declare a win, this one would have to be decided by a vote in the House of Representatives, with each state having one vote and the winner of this vote would be declared President.

Member Poll Thread
Electoral College Results

Bush = 202
Kerry = 200
Badnarik = 63
Nader = 0
Unclaimed = 69

No one wins a majority of the electoral votes (270), so it would go to the House of Representatives. Each State would get one vote, and whoever has a majority of the states, wins.

Feel free to discuss the results, and your opinions

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Good work by a fellow ATSer, who added that there is a possibility another poll will be conducted in September. With this election shaping up to be one the closest in history, make sure that if/when the next poll is conducted, you get your vote tallied.

[edit on 8/17/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
BUT, if you take the electoral votes of the states as represented by the ATS members...Bush wins.

Just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   
If it goes to the House, doesn't Bush win anyways?

If it's close Bush will "find" a way to win.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
With only one vote per state in the House vote, I wouldn't guarantee anything, who would get the right to vote? The senior Representative from each state? hmmmmmm, research......

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Here's a little help on the house procedure...

Who Will Elect the President? The Electoral College System
The Twelfth Amendment clarifies the procedures for so-called "contingent elections"-those that are thrown into the House and Senate for lack of an Electoral College majority.

The following rules regulate the House's choice of the President:

* Only the top three vote getters in the electoral college are to be considered.

* Regardless of its population and number of representatives, each state delegation in the House has only one vote, for a total of 50 votes. The District of Columbia, which sends a nonvoting delegate to the House, has no vote.

* The state's choice is determine by a vote within its delegation. If that vote is a tie, the state loses its vote.

* A winning candidate must receive the votes of a majority-26-of states.

* There is no limit to the number of ballots in the House. If the House fails to choose a President by Inauguration Day, January 20, the Twentieth Amendment requires that the Vice-President-elect, provided that the Senate has chosen one, serves as President until the House makes it choice. The Senate follows these rules in its selection of the Vice-President:

* The choice is between the top two vice-presidential vote-getters in the Electoral College.

* Each senator has one vote, for a total of 100 votes (no vote for the District of Columbia).

* A Vice-President must be elected by a majority-51-of the whole Senate.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Nader = 0

If nothing else this is interesting in it's even split between Bush & Kerry with only the strong showing of conservative support for Badnarik keeping it from being a Bush landslide.

Anyone whining about ATS members all being liberal can officially shut up now.

And I'd suggest a little more Badnarik bashing from the peanut gallery currently hyper focused on Kerry... assuming you recognize a viable threat when you see it. Consider this "the memo."

Badnarik determined to attack inside George W. Bush voting base!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'm proud that North Carolina has its electors voting for Badnarik, if only it could turn out that way in the real world :-)

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Just remember.....A well known psychic....i dont know who it was..i've forgotten, said that Bush was going to be the president again. Some other RV's sketched the same thing....

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Guys, this is the News forum.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I am pleasently surprised, and some what shocked at the outcome. My state NM was a squeaker last year with Gore pulling it out. This time round, the unsceintific poll shows it going the other way.

But look at the Yellow states!! If they go that way in the national election that'll be great!

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So each of the states would get a vote for either Bush or Kerry in the event the race was too close to call right? What happens if it goes 25-25? Sorry if that is a stupid question but this is my first year voting

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megalodon
So each of the states would get a vote for either Bush or Kerry in the event the race was too close to call right? What happens if it goes 25-25? Sorry if that is a stupid question but this is my first year voting

Actually it goes to the top 3 vote getters, so a third party candidate could be considered as well. But no it wouldn't total 50 votes it would actually be 150 votes. 50 from the house, and 100 from the senate. But considering there is a republican majority it would probably go more towards Bush. Just don't count on it though. Some republicans might be ticked off at him and go the other way.

[edit on 8/18/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

top topics

join