It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nato accused of killing family in botched bombing raid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Nato accused of killing family in botched bombing raid.

www.tele graph.co.uk

The alleged strike on a two-storey home in the suburbs of the town of Zlitan, 160 miles east of Tripoli, killed the wife and two children of Mustafa Naji, a physics teacher and sparked an eruption of local anger against the bombing campaign.

The regime of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi seized on the attack to press claims innocent locals have been killed by Nato's bombs.

Nato's efforts to assist advances by rebels from central Misurata have embroiled the alliance in an urban war for control control of Zlitan. Bombed schools and flattened food warehouses are now in evidence in the town and they are being used by Gaddafi loyalists as staging grounds for continued attacks on the rebel enclave.

Despite the use of fixed wing aircraft and helicopter gunships and despite rebel claims that the town had fallen earlier this week, fighting raged yesterday on Zlitan's eastern fringes. A handful of loud explosions were accompanied by the whine of jet engines on Nato aircraft.

The Naji home stood ten miles from the front line in the apparently quiet suburb of Kaim. Regime officials said the family were ordinary people who had feasted just hours before to celebrate the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Its concrete floors had collapsed and the rooms were destroyed. By midmorning it was impossible to tell if the building had ever been used by Gaddafi's military unlike the nearby Law College and school where the bombed buildings were littered with military paraphernalia including combat fatigues and log books.
Ibtisam, the mother of two children, Mohammad 5 and Muttasim, 3, were buried within hours at an emotional funeral ceremony next to a local mosque.

"These people were not fighters, there is no military in this neighbourhood," said Ali Adil, a lawyer and neighbour. "Nato say they are protecting civilians but they are turning their weapons on us. The UN Security Council should investigate this." A nephew pulled off the funerary shrouds to reveal the bloodied faces of the dead.

"Those that are fighting with Nato are traitors against their country," said Mohammad Ali Berber, a cousin of the victim. "We should volunteer to go to the front line and finish it. We will never forgive." Nato bore the brunt of the blame for the attack.

Mr Adil said that he had seen helicopters in action attacking areas where there were no soldiers deployed. "It's an unfair war using this technology against us."
A Nato spokesman said the organisation had struck a target at 6.30am in Zlitan and that it was investigating the allegations of civilian casualties.

The UN Security Council resolution authorising the Nato campaign to use military air power to stop Col Gaddafi's regime killing his own people to crush a nationwide uprising.
Moussa Ibrahim, the Gaddafi regime spokesman, said the attack on Zlitan was one of many Nato atrocities. "Yet another crime of Nato against Libyan civilians has taken place," he said. "No one is safe from Nato." Despite Misurata rebels claims that they had taken the centre of Zlitan there has not yet been heavy downtown fighting.
But as the fighting has encroached, locals have fled elsewhere. Apartment blocks along the main boulevard, Sahili Rd, are deserted. Only a handful of shops remain open.

However the main impediment to the fall of the town is the hatred of local tribes towards Misuratans. The proximity of the two towns belies a deep-rooted antipathy.

Many local families are the descendants of slaves captured by the pirates that operated from Misurata in the 19th century.

"I have no friends or acquaintances from Misurata, I know nobody from there," said Khalifa Misha, a schools inspector. "They have no right to come here. We will resist this conquest until the last drop of blood."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So now NATO bombed a Libyan TV station, a unviersity, the killing of 11 religious inams, nine civilians died in an airstrike in June of 2011, a Private hotel bombed which killed three civilians and so on and on.

Man I cannot be sure how many civilians NATO killed lately. It's this war that NATO should have never got in in the 1st place with out a clear exit stragedy.

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.foxnews.com...

www.thenews.com.pk...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

Yep we are in deep trouble now.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Seriously though. I've lost count on how many times NATO has killed civilians!
I thought when the Reuters reporters got killed by the helicopter gunfire there would be hell to pay, but I sure haven't even heard any further mention of that. I doubt we'll hear more about this incident.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
How is the no fly zone working out? Every Country involved should be held accountable for this Kinetic action.
The U.N holds no water over tour Constitution. I guess Obama can't pin this on Bush?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I don't know but this look like NATO is not doing what the UNSCR 1973 does. Have a look at another link that is leaked now. edition.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I guess people are just too stupid to know the definition of "doublespeak". That's the Orwellian term for when you say one thing, but actually mean to do the opposite. The result is something so rediculously surreal that most people can't comprehend the reality of the situation, and resort back to the words of the oppressors for a convenient explanation.

"Humantarian mission"? There was nothing humanitarian about it. Despite observing our "humanitarian" efforts in securing Afghanistan and decimating Iraq, the blind supporters still clung on to the belief that we would go to Libya to help them from themselves.

Do they not understand that there is no logic in "Ghaddafi is bombing his people so we must bomb his forces"? They just eat the words up without question, like good conditioned citizens. I bet they learned how to control such morons in nice little sterile labs where they experiment on rats.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I agree but i think that the military action is a bit too much for this conflict. I mean sitll the whole Libya is in peace unlike the Balkans and there is only a small parts of the fighting going alone there.

new topics

top topics

join