It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tides Of Time: Global Climate-Change Skepticism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The ebb and flow of the ocean tides, generally thought to be one of the most predictable forces on Earth, are actually quite variable over long time periods, in ways that have not been adequately accounted for in most evaluations of prehistoric sea level changes.

Ancient tides quite different...

"In most of this research it was assumed that prehistoric tidal patterns were about the same as they are today. But they weren't, and we need to do a better job of accounting for this."

I wonder if climate modeling will take this newly demonstrated natural variability into account, when setting up predictions of global "warming" scenarios? Perhaps the theorized imminent catastrophe of rising sea-levels are also, just a natural course of events unrelated to man-made pollutants?
edit on 4-8-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar

The ebb and flow of the ocean tides, generally thought to be one of the most predictable forces on Earth, are actually quite variable over long time periods, in ways that have not been adequately accounted for in most evaluations of prehistoric sea level changes.

Ancient tides quite different...

"In most of this research it was assumed that prehistoric tidal patterns were about the same as they are today. But they weren't, and we need to do a better job of accounting for this."

I wonder if climate modeling will take this newly demonstrated natural variability into account, when setting up predictions of global warming scenarios? Perhaps the theorized imminent catastrophe of rising sea-levels are also, just a natural course of events unrelated to man-made pollutants?
edit on 4-8-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

And that is exactly what it is. The sea levels have been raising for thousands of years and will continue to do so until this interglacial period ends and we enter the next ice age. This happened during previous interglacials as well. holocene sea level

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Actually I believe i've seen research indicating that the tides are reactive to global warming. Not sure for a fact on this as it's not an area i'm well versed in so I'll let others chime in with their opinions.

Good post though, thanks

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'd say this also shows what I have always suspected: the theory of how the Moon's gravity causes the tides is WRONG, like most everything else that "everybody knows" has always turned out to be.

Can anyone tell me how the Moon's gravity causes a high tide on the side towards the Moon, and also on the opposite side at the same time? I used to drive science teachers nuts with this question, I have never heard a good answer. Any of you alleged "scientists" that spend lots of time hanging out on conspiracy websites like this (you know who you are) have a good answer for that one?

And I'm sorry, I know it's rude the way I think everyone is wrong, but, oh well....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You may want to have a gander at this:

NASA Doing SERIOUS Backpedaling on Climate Brouhaha

It seems that the former scaredy-cats (or is it rats) are jumping off the global-warming doomsday ship as fast as they can!

But for those in a lighter mood, a hilarious South Park Episode (Al Gore and ManBearPig Scare) nailed it in satire long ago...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Exactly right and why I shook my head in disgust, anger and embarrassment when "leading scientists" claimed that those who don't believe in man-made climate change are quote unquote "morons".

It's all natural cycles, rising tides, ice forming in abundance then melting en masse. I had a regular state education in a public school and occasionally read about geography in newspapers yet even I know that what we experience now is what happened on the planet several times before and during the time of homosapiens.

top topics

join