It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is ALL THE SAME

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I guess I'm growing out of ATS/BTS.

People post the most outrageous crap here, about how 9-11 was planned, about how freemasons eat their dead, about how everything is a right wing conspiracy.

At first I thought I'd find viewpoints that were different from my own, and a chance for fun-loving and open debate.

This board is a gaggle of people making up facts to suit their rhetoric of the moment.

The debate is mean-spirited and ad hominem, because there is zero substance.

And there is a huge leftwing bias here. If you start a threat on any topic, even the paranormal, and betray anything but one worldist lefty commie indoctrination, then the topic immediately changes to how you as an individual suck.

It's boring. this little hell is inhabited by a bunch of sames, a bunch of sycophantic yahoos who FREAK OUT if you offer anything different from what they have chosen for dogma.

I'm gonna go away for a while. Some one tell my why I should bother coming back here. Nothing has interested me in days at ATS, and there is no dialogue, just name calling.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
You are all individuals.

I'm not.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
BTW my former tenant in another city has that Kramer portrait on his wall, life size. Never understood why...

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
[Edited on 16-8-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
No! Don't leave! You have to stay, to help defend with me people like me and you. I'm not sure if we have all the same vies, but we've agreed on alot of topics where I'm arguing against people either saying Bush sucks (And not knowing why) or about how 9/11 was planned...that's why you have to stay. You can't drop out just because we're a minority here haha. I'm more conservative than I am liberal, I'm sure alot of people don't like me for it, but I argue my point; that's kinda what makes it fun sometimes
. I don't make it my life...sometimes I don't post for days because nothing interests me. I just come home from school, look on here for about 5 minutes, and if I don't see anything...I leave. This doesn't have to be like a community that you stay or leave in. It's just for fun.

[Edited on 16-8-2004 by Herman]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think maybe I put to much effort into my posts. Maybe I'd play well with others if I was a lot more flippant.

The happy people are the ones who spark a bowl or do a rail before powering up their computer.

I swear a bunch of these folks are high as Hawaii.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
To tell you the truth i rarely check out ATS myself, i just check BTS because most of the people on ATS are crazy... I am liberal and very left, but even the lefties here piss me off coz alot of them dont know anything and just give the rest of us a bad rap. I used to go to ATS all the time coz i was interested in what conspiracies were out there... then i realised that only 5% of the conspiracy posts had any credible backing... i was disheartened so i now just come to BTS for the fun topics and thats it

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I know where you�re coming from dr_strangecraft.

It's all peaceful right up 'til someone comes along with an opposing view, and then it's just a no holds barred death match. And it's usually an attack on someone�s character or some hardcore stereotyping.
And it�s always the same morons.

Is it ok to say moron?

But of course there are plenty of well balanced individuals here who are doing ATS proud.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Im in this same pickle right now and Im not sure what to do. A vacation gave me perspective and Ive kinda lost the initiative to participate in ATS due to its lack of facts and extreme left win leaning.

I agree with many of your points, but I expect them to be overshadowed by some people coming in here and throwing out the obligatory "well ifyou dont like it leave!" or "you just think its left wing cause people dont agree with your right wing bile" or something to that effect.

But keep up the good fight man.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I never understood the left-wing right-wing concepts until I came to ATS. I don't live in America, so my perspective is somewhat different when it comes to my view of America. I see that when Americans say "leftist" or "rightist", it is a system meant to divide the people.

People need to get out of that mindset of left and right. If you want to find the truth, be free of left and right separation.

I've bought certain books as a result of visiting ATS. This place has such a diversity of views and information that I learn and laugh every single time I visit here. This is definitely a community, although it is in electronic form.

All I can say is that this place is awesome.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
I've bought certain books as a result of visiting ATS.

I have a great book Id like to recommend.

"Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I also kinda noticed a threshold on some topics. Go way too cerebral and all you will hear are crickets, go too low (re:uncerebral) you'll probably get flamed, even though ironically it would increment your points. Don't give up yet, there are others out there that understand. The very series of posts you just received are a sign of that. Though as Agent and others implied or said, it would seem we do hang around BTS when things tend to dry up in ATS. It seems to happen in cycles....
I kinda had the same thoughts earlier today when I made the following thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
:shk:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
To be honest, when I first found this site, I went immediately to ATF. However, I often felt constrained in what I could or could not say. Everyone was so damn serious. For example, I don't buy into any particular belief 100%.
I've just ventured into BTS and find it much more enjoyable and I feel freer to write what I want.
We all have to take computer breaks from time to time. I belong to very intense work-related site and, every month or two, I vanish for a bit. It helps my perspective and helps my sanity. Then, you are welcomed back with open arms.
Enjoy your mental travels and return.
joey

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
There's always the debates thread which Kano hosts. and there is also Sportztawk for sports related discussions.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'd like to see less of the "I'm right and smarter than you and here is how I'm going to slice you up to prove it" type remarks. The smug, insulting comments designed to belittle and jam someone into a cubby hole. That's got to stop. I just put this in another thread, the same type comment. Too much name-calling and pissing contests. "I'm righter than you!" or "If you honestly think that, then you're stupid/phony/ignorant/whatever". I don't see why people can't put their opinions and comments up without the additional nonsense. Honestly, there are posts that I don't even read when I see who posted it because I know it's just a lot of Sermon from the Mount type BS. Or if I see a post that I have to scroll down 3 or 4 times to get to the end of, I lose interest. I lose track of their point sometimes. There's a lot of black or white here and not much gray, or willingness to at least consider other shades of either side. Hard-heads! *L*

[Edited on 17-8-2004 by torque]

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I hope you weren't referring to me, torque. I know I come off a little strong sometimes, but I don't mean to sound like a jerk, or that I don't care about your opinion. We've argued in the past, but I try to be civilized.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
And I have a tendancy to contribute to the amplification of rhetoric, especially when I see someone making up facts that are totally unreal.

An Allegorical Example:

A. GenericPoster writes that Reagan installed Saddam Hussein in Iraq just so the republicans could attack him later and get the oil in the 1990's.

B. I provide a link to a site i found on Google, after 45 seconds of effort. That shows that Saddam seized power in Iraq in 1968. I point out that Reagan was not yet president in 1968, and would not become president until twelve years later. I point out that it is a stretch of the imagination and the facts to imagine then-governor Reagan installing a dictator by having him launch a coup on the other side of the planet.

C. Posters 2, 3, and 4 call me a retard and republican stooge for believing the way the Satanic Grey-molesting Masons have rewritten all the history books.

D. I point out that republicans never "got the oil" because of sanctions. I add that due to UN sanctions, the only ones who got the oil were France et al, as part of the "oil for food"scam.

E. I get called a shape-shifting reptilian for hating the French by GenericPoster.

F. I refer to him as "Le tet du merd" and he u2u's me, asking for cybersex.

G. I refuse, get bored and go watch VH-1 while I wait for the markets to close.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Strangecraft, in your original post you started out with the same disillusionment and fleeting clarity alot of us find ourselves feeling upon the realization everyone but you is flawed. Sadly, we all get there. But before abandoning your SOLI program entirely (search for online intelligence), how about swinging your highly attuned analyzer in your own direction a second.

Why did this have to become a right wing/left wing thing in your swan song? You do realize (I hope) there are some intelligent liberals just as frustrated with some posters of opposing ideology I'm sure.

As for this:

And there is a huge leftwing bias here.

I object. Not just as your friendly neighborhood token liberal, but I try to have a little perspective on the community as a whole. It's about a third liberal, a third conservative and a third that don't give a damn IMO.

And if you could see my REAL hate mail (allegorical examples aside), you'd blush. But I'd prefer to not make this an ideological thing.

I like your posts. Love the Evil Genius thing. And have been evaluating whether or not to reveal my evil plans for a few days now. But I like following yours anway.

Either way, I'm not trying to make you feel bad or stay against your will. Take a break or something. I think your best advice was to yourself about not taking this so seriously.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Some of the funniest people on here are liberals. Cannot rember who, but the dude who had the Chuck Barras/Gongshow avatar keeps me in stitches.

And some of the crankiest broken records are the guys who sit in recliners upholstered in camoflage, who are gung-ho for anything that doesn't shoot them first. They are so busy trying to copulate with an M1A1 that they can't even lauch a coherent argument.

But, honestly, I DO believe that this site is skewed to the left, and has increased it's slant over the course of the summer.

Yeah, I will lighten up a bit.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
But, honestly, I DO believe that this site is skewed to the left, and has increased it's slant over the course of the summer.

Yeah, Thomas must be on vacation.

<<   2 >>

join