It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Buchanan refers to President Obama as "Boy" when speaking to Al Sharpton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

What's with the politically-incorrect and racially-offensive misspeaks in the Polical World lately?

Now former GOP presidential candidate Pat Buchanan refers to President Obama as BOY when speaking to talk show host and political activist Al Sharpton.

Details of Buchanan's reasoning for the gaffe: www.examiner.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChicagOpinion
www.examiner.com...

What's with the politically-incorrect and racially-offensive misspeaks in the Polical World lately?

Now former GOP presidential candidate Pat Buchanan refers to President Obama as BOY when speaking to talk show host and political activist Al Sharpton.

So.

Everyone knows he's a racist. Who cares.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
And they say there is no racism on the right.

Just a couple of days ago, Tea Party Congressman Doug Lamborn referred to Obama as a "tar baby".

It's so sad that folks can not seem to express their opinions without lowering themselves to that level.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...
edit on 3-8-2011 by Aggie Man because: to add link

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Wow talk about an article which intentionally leaves out some important information:

“A very spirited discussion, I was asked who was the big losers in these battles and the big winners, and I said one of the big losers, using boxing terminology, was ‘your boy,’ and I meant the president of the United States,” Buchanan said.

“Rev. Sharpton said my boy is the president of the United States and he’s doing a rope-a-dope in the Ali fashion and he’s going to finish off your crowd. Now this was taken, some folks took what I said as some kind of slur. None was meant, none was intended, none was delivered, for the record,” Buchanan added.

On Tuesday night, during a discussion in which Buchanan and Sharpton debated whether Congress and Obama would extend the Bush tax cuts, Buchanan said: “And let me tell you, your boy, Barack Obama, caved in on it in 2010 and he’ll cave in on it again.”

Sharpton, appearing stunned, interjected: “My what? My president Barack Obama? What did you say?”

Buchanan replied: “He’s your boy in the ring, he’s your fighter.”

Sharpton then said: “He’s nobody’s boy. He’s your president and he’s our president. And that’s what you all have got to get through your head.”

The two commentators then appeared to laugh, with Sharpton predicting Obama would win the “rope-a-dope” strategy by outlasting conservatives while Buchanan saying Obama was “whipped” by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Next time tell the Examiner not to intentionally leave out important parts of what happened. Even just a few words removed from a story can give it an entirely new angle.

Source

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I see them all as scum.
Let them call each other whatever they want.
Black, white, yellow, brown, they lie just the same.
So what?

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
In the context of the conversation it isn't that bad. Niether was the "tar baby" comment by the other guy mentioned. It's almost as bad as people whining about when someone says "calling a spade a spade". It is not a racial comment (not unless intended to be) and its origins come from Plutarch in the 2nd century BC. "Tar baby" comes from Joel Chandler Harris' children stories, and a tar baby was a creation by Brer Fox to capture Brer Rabbit, where whenever he hit or kicked the tar baby he'd become stuck even worse(Due to the 19th century African American slang dialect used by Harris' characters, people claim he's racist).

The real issue is our ignorant, hyper sensitive, increasingly weak and politically correct media culture.

And perhaps if the last couple of Presidents acted like they had a pair, people wouldn't be so dismissive of them anyway.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
OK this is just ridiculous. I have no love for Pat Buchanan, but he wasn't being racist in this statement. "Your boy" is a commonly accepted alternative form of "the man you support."

Al Sharpton is one of the biggest racists in the US and has a notoriously thin skin, taking offense at the slightest thing. I have to say though, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall just so I could have seen the look on Sharpton's face when he heard Buchanan's statement and said, "My WHAT?"

edit on 8/3/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

www.examiner.com...

So.

Everyone knows he's a racist. Who cares.

Obama is white. He's only half black.

There's no race to be racist against. Nice try though. Don't have any intelligent thought so you throw the race card?

Please don't waste server bandwidth.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
if you ask me both pat and al are both losers.

i mean come on pat sold his soul for a paycheck to msnbc

al the "good reverend" well should know better.
edit on 3-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think Man-child is more proper.

Guy is clearly in over his head.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
psh.

And the left likes to accuse the right of "Non-Important" or "reckless" articles.

Kinda like this one?

I say this all the time when someone is doing stupid, especially if its a friend of a friend, I usually reply
"Thats your boy, not mine".
Has nothing to do with race, and has everything to do with it meaning "friendship".

Buncha morons.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

www.examiner.com...

What's with the politically-incorrect and racially-offensive misspeaks in the Polical(sic) World lately?

He surly isn't acting like a man and certainly NOT like a POTUS!

edit on 3-8-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They need to get it right damnit, its, "Islamic Kenyan Halfwit"

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I read two accounts of this story this morning, and neither mentioned the last sentence of your quote: :
The two commentators then appeared to laugh, with Sharpton predicting Obama would win the “rope-a-dope” strategy by outlasting conservatives while Buchanan saying Obama was “whipped” by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

If it's so "laughable", why is Buchanan bending over backwards to over-explain the situation. Instead of believing what's left out of one article, maybe people should not believe what's added...It's hard to believe that Buchanan or any other political type goes out of their way to keep a racially-tinged story alive by explaining something that was 'laughed off.' Jokes die a quick death - getting out of a racially charged accusation lives on. This story hasn't died yet.

Also, I've listened to Al Sharpton for many years, and there's no way anyone can convince me that he really finds the word 'Boy' used in speaking about an African-American male - let alone the President - is humorous.

It was a poor choice of words. Buchanan knows it. Sharpton knows it. It wasn't funny.

I'm just sayin'!

Have a good day, my friend.
edit on 3-8-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

If it's so "laughable", why is Buchanan bending over backwards to over-explain the situation. Instead of believing what's left out of one article, maybe people should not believe what's added...

Because the radical black preachers like Sharpton, Jackson, et al, are going to blow this way out of proportion and Buchanan knows that. He's been around the block a few times and knows exactly how these guys operate. They've (black preachers and their organizations like the NAACP) been boycotting South Carolina for the last decade because they feel the Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of racism.

Believing they might have more success with the state's first "minority" Governor, the NAACP recently demanded again for the flag to be removed from the State House grounds. Fortunately, Gov. Nikki Haley, a woman of Indian descent, told them to take a flying leap. South Carolina compromised with these economic terrorists TEN YEARS AGO by removing the flag from the State House dome and placing it upon a nearby Confederate Memorial; but they still haven't let it go. Go Nikki!

It's hard to believe that Buchanan or any other political type goes out of their way to keep a racially-tinged story alive by explaining something that was 'laughed off.' Jokes die a quick death - getting out of a racially charged accusation lives on. This story hasn't died yet.

And it won't as long as Butthurt Al keeps running his mouth.

It was a poor choice of words. Buchanan knows it. Sharpton knows it. It wasn't funny.

Then why, even after an unnecessary apology, won't Sharpton let it go? *Cause he's a little bitty man...

Racism is dead, especially institutional racism. We have a "minority" man sitting as President for crying out loud, and with blacks representing about 10 percent of the population, who do you think voted him into office? That's right... White people. The only people who are still beating the racist drum are those like Sharpton and Jackson who have made a living out of it their entire lives; and now that it is largely a non-issue they don't know whether to snip or go blind.

Lemme ask: Is this racist?

How about this?

Or this?

According to Dr. Manning in the last two videos, Obama isn't black enough and Al Sharpton is a "Nappy-headed Ho."

Now imagine if a white man had said those things.

No my friend, the last embers of racism's dying flame are being kept alive with the breath of those black leaders I've discussed in this post. If you're looking for someone to blame, blame them.

Listen to Larry Elder, the author of "Stupid Black Men," speak some common sense on the issue:

"Don't be a wimp" indeed. You go Larry!

I did find this last video funny though.

edit on 8/3/2011 by OldCorp because: Switched order of vids

edit on 8/3/2011 by OldCorp because: Added Larry Elder video

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

All very true. As a resident of New Orleans (a black majority city) I had to endure the ridiculous racism of the 2nd Ray Nagin term. On top of that, New Orleans property owners (i.e. the only municipal taxpayers in the city) subsidized WBOK, a black oriented radio station. I wouldn't even care about that, since the majority of my neighbors are black, but the vile, hate filled racism that spewed from that station was unbelievable. Apparently it is ok to say horrible, incediary things about whites, and even to use public monies to do so. Luckily, most of my black neighbors didnt really listen BOK and are decent, non-hateful people.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Anything to pull out the race card and play the victim huh? "Your boy in the corner", wow so racist!
Seriously, stuff like this is just lame.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I absolutely love talk radio in America. Last night I was flipping the dial - while one talk show was taking calls from persons saying how terrible Buchanan (and his type of people) are, another station was blabbing about how ridiculous it is for Buchanan not to be able to use the word 'boy' when talking about anyone, including Obama.

All I know, as an American midwesterner, if you call an African-American male 'boy', it's demeaning.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's important to include the historical context of a controversial word before you attack or defend it. The word "boy" has been used in reference to African Americans and native Africans for many centuries. It was, and still is, a way of establishing the speaker's power and authority over another person. Demeaning the victims' status as an adult further erodes the respect our society generally affords to those of advanced years.

While it's true that African Americans have at times criticized and ridiculed caucasians, these critiques do not carry the same sting. We whites do not have a long history of being slaves, and we are not in any real way in danger of becoming ones. It's easy for us to dismiss the victimization of others for centuries with a "get over it".

new topics

top topics

join