It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigators probe scene of raging fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Investigators probe scene of raging fire

[url=http://www.newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=investigators+probe+scene+of+raging+fire--1311977074--1284--home-news#[/url]

Federal, state and local investigators are teaming up to probe a spectacular Thursday night fire that destroyed a 60,000-square-foot warehouse where Evergreen International Aviation was storing aircraft parts.

The warehouse was one of four in a complex just east of the city limits on Cruickshank Road, off Highway 18 by McMinnville Municipal Airport. Despite a series of explosions that sent fireballs into the night sky, the other three buildings remained undamaged.

In a press release, the McMinnville Fire Department estimated the loss might exceed $20 million. Gary Arnold, Evergreen's vi
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Ok, well, to the member that posted Ted Gunderson's aircrap.org site~THANK YOU otherwise, I would have never know about this~! Odd that my wife didn't mention it and she 90% of the time watches the MS news.

I also did 2 title checks on this in the search and didn't find it.

Here's something I don't quite understand... how come the firemen can assess the damage so quickly with no experience of assessment in aircraft parts since they don't know what the price of aircraft parts are to begin with ?? !!

that's like a cop accessing a car in a head on collision and saying that's worth 50k worth in damage ??

how would they know that figure is accurate?~! Shouldn't the FD just say "we'll have to let the management & insurance company put the figures together"

Second of all, I'd really be interested in see just HOW this got started, since ALL fuels are kept in lock and key.

Ted's site WWW.aircrap.org is awesome ~!! just say'n LOL

[url=http://www.newsregister.com/article?articleTitle=investigators+probe+scene+of+raging+fire--1311977074--1284--home-news#]www.newsregister.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Your links are dead . Till I have something to look at, I cannot assemble any thoughts about this issue... Please rectify if possible

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
PLEASE the comments section of the news link.. it's excellent~!!! libra doesn't an excellent job of taking a excellent job at what the building was being used for~!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Komodo

Your links are dead . Till I have something to look at, I cannot assemble any thoughts about this issue... Please rectify if possible

how about now ??

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
here's a offlink to the Original article ..

Raging Fire at Evergreen Facility in McMinville, Oregon

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Hmm, I will copy and paste into the URL bar and see what I can get , but they still dont seem to be working.
Sorry !

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
how come the firemen can assess the damage so quickly with no experience of assessment in aircraft parts since they don't know what the price of aircraft parts are to begin with ?? !!

...he was probably just giving his opinion and is one of those who sticks a price tag on everything...

Originally posted by Komodo
Second of all, I'd really be interested in see just HOW this got started, since ALL fuels are kept in lock and key.

...could have been an electrical short that ignited varsol... happens...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

The offlink seems to be good . Seems like a strange thing for the Fire Deparment to do damage estimation. Normally these things would be left to insurance companies. Also, at this early stage, although the owner of the warehouse clearly states that he hadnt a full inventory of what was in the building, he would have, at this point a much better idea of its contents and thier potential worth than would the fire department.

Eventualy , when the fire investigators have concluded thier investigations, and the insurance companies have had thier look , then and only then will realistic figures come out.

Also, theres something in the story that made me think . One person, Debbie McDermott (fire investigator) was quoted as saying "It will be a difficult investigation because of the size of the building, and the fact it's on the ground."

What the hell ? On the ground? What in the hell is that all about exactly? Of course its on the ground, its a godamned warehouse fire. Its hardly going to be at sea is it? Or floating at a height of nine hundred feet!!

Very strange quotes, very strange numbers, and people making up numbers out of nowhere. Very odd.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Also, theres something in the story that made me think . One person, Debbie McDermott (fire investigator) was quoted as saying "It will be a difficult investigation because of the size of the building, and the fact it's on the ground."

What the hell ? On the ground? What in the hell is that all about exactly? Of course its on the ground, its a godamned warehouse fire. Its hardly going to be at sea is it? Or floating at a height of nine hundred feet!!

..its on the ground because it collapsed...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Right? And thats unusual how ? I have seen plenty of fires on the news, and in historical record. Fired buildings often collapse, either partialy or totaly.There is no reason for this to be more difficult because of a perfectly normal structural collapse, and bearing in mind that its a warehouse, the chances are that the construction and materials used will be less complicated than say an appartment complex, or municipal building.

Theres no reason to mention it . Its routine. I mean... what, were they just short of useless information?
edit on 2-8-2011 by TrueBrit because: Grammar issues.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

here's some of the comments of the original story..

libra said:
Excellent information. I am involved in Chemeketa's Building Inspection Program and would like to read anything in regard to Fire Resistance Rating of the utility building and /or existing sprinkler systems necessary. Smoke barriers, Assemblies, Penetration protection Assemblies etc. (If they were up to date to storage standards for their content). Also, wether or not such a building conformed to those standards. Great writing and investigation of early facts however.

InMyOpinion said:
Those old turkey barns never had any working sprinkler systems in them. Years ago when I worked there we used the barns to store old outdated equipment and non valuables, but that was years ago.

libra said:

Based on the previous comment, it would be interesting to know if the building itself was being used as an aircraft Hangar for storage purposes ( U occupancy for storage)? It will be diffucult to prove as far as insurance coverage, if the building itself had been adapted with combustible components or primary and secondary structural component protection.

A group "S1" for storage is only good for moderate-hazard storage purposes, Not explosives. That blast was "highly explosive" from the information and the pictures provided so far. Good luck collecting against damages based on that alone. The international fire code standards were thrown out the window there. That building was not being used for its intended application.

marovich1 said:
The Turkey barns were also used for storage of financial and legal records. Could some of those had to "go away"?
Fireball at Evergreen

The fireball is pretty significant to be just dirty rags..

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Didnt the report say that some of the airplane parts were magnesium constructed? Magnesium is highly volatile , and has to be looked after properly and isolated from ignition.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Better not let the 9-11 crowd hear you say that.

You'd be tarred, feathered then drawn & quartered

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Well as you came to mention it, the fact is that compared to investigating the 9/11 attacks , this will be a cake walk. The manuals and information gained about dealing with a complex collapsed structure when the towers were sifted has probably moved the preparedness for such investigations on many years further than they would be, had the incident never occured.

However, although I realise you spoke in jest, I would like to take this oppertunity to note that the WTC was specificaly designed NOT to fall down, and that makes it a totaly different beast to a mere ware house

Most of the warehouses I have seen are metal roofed, with either aluminium sides, with breeze block behind them, or brick or concrete constructions made to the thinnest possible specifications to save site space and money. Often they have a steel frame to keep the entire structure in one piece, but in general they are VERY simple structures, not nearly as complicated as an office building, an appartment, or a house even. They normaly have a lot less different materials in their construction than do buildings used for other things.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

top topics

join