It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NERDGASM ALERT: Detailed Rendering of CG just got infinately better. The polygon is dead

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
this guy's program creates 3d models from photos or drawings, although it uses polygons, i could see how using atoms would take a 3d model like this and make it useable in a game environment. otherwise, way too many polygons here.
www.archipelis.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered

Originally posted by john_bmth
reply to post by T3hEn1337ened

Fact of the matter is, they're not.

The fact of the matter is it's not on the market yet.

Unless, ofcourse, your notion of a "fact" is when a person whose "expertise" consists of having written 1993-era game technology opines about something which they don't even know the internals of, and to substantiate their argument they link to videos which don't actually support their argument (voxel engines, none of which can do what's shown in the UL video).

I'm sorry, what were your credentials again? Care to offer a constructive argument for their technology and a critique of other contemporary techniques? It's been "not ready for market" for a few years now. All of you saying "it's not voxels, that's a strawman!" have no clue about comp. graphics, no clue about voxel technology, no clue about triangle-based geometry pipelines (those dastardly "polygons") and no clue as to the wider problem domain and issues that the differing approaches attempt to address and work within. No one had offered an argument for and against in their own words, only parroting the same unsubstantiated lines iver and over. But hey, this is ATS where the motto "deny ignorance" is largely ironic.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by T3hEn1337ened

And that's precisely the point. No-ones saying the videos are faked or what not, rather it cannot be integrated with animation and physics in any meaningful way. For static geometry with pre-baked lighting such as terrains it might be pretty cool, but the way they promise the world whilst side-stepping (or as you say, being worrying oblivious to) the show stopping shortcomings is very questionable!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Do you know what voxels are? The problems are NOT limited to voxels. It is not a strawman argument, the people saying so haven't got a clue what they're talking about. People cheerleading unsubstantiated claims in a field they have no knowledge about is the height of ignorance. Typical ATS.
edit on 3-8-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

BLAH
FYI I am a computer games programmer with industry experience. I know what I am talking about.
I have experience writing 3d engines and games using voxel tech.
and YES it is a strawman argument.AND I prefer to remain anonymous thank you.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
This is the most closest awesomeness representation of what is already outside your humble abode if you so choose venture out and find.

يعيش حياة حب الحياة
לחיות את החיים אוהב את החיים
vivre la vie l'amour la vie
leben das Leben lieben das Leben

and our banker says it this way
鲜活的生命热爱生活
edit on 3-8-2011 by AnotherSon because: out changed to our

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by BIGPoJo

They are Voxels and using obfuscation in the video to avoid saying as such because they do not want to give anyone else credit for the idea they have hi-jacked.

These people have invented nothing they are con-artists.
edit on 3-8-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

Can you provide your proof that they hi-jacked someone elses work? Who's work did they hi-jack? Who are they scamming? Don't you realize that con artists, if they wanted make money, have easier ways of making money? Why go thru the trouble of building an engine just to con people when you can just con people using the spoken word? Have you ever heard of ponzi schemes?

A ponzi scheme would be way way way easier to do than a graphics engine scam. I just don't get it, faking it would not be any where close to worth it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Limbo

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Do you know what voxels are? The problems are NOT limited to voxels. It is not a strawman argument, the people saying so haven't got a clue what they're talking about. People cheerleading unsubstantiated claims in a field they have no knowledge about is the height of ignorance. Typical ATS.

BLAH
FYI I am a computer games programmer with industry experience. I know what I am talking about.

The subject of my PhD is this very field (real-time, 3d comp gfx) and I've been a graphics programmer for years. Rebutt the criticisms laid at this technology if you have something to say.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

You have a talent for avoiding the substance of posts you reply to.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
edit on 3-8-2011 by BIGPoJo because: ...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Hmmm... Bit like the creators of this "unlimited detail" technology!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I guess this means people will be scanning themselves into their games in the future. My brother made a quip the other about what would happen if gamers played "themselves" in games, suddenly, superheroes wouldn't look so super. I replied that if so, games would include gym membership trials.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
If this is as advertised then I can't wait to scan in my face for my favorite FPS and have it be a true 3d of me, not my photo on a rounded polygon. I could see lots of uses even in games that have pretty great graphics now.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Hmmm... Bit like the creators of this "unlimited detail" technology!

Hmm. Didn't notice the creators in this thread. Please show me where they posted. Also, please see my previous post, I have a few questions for you.
edit on 3-8-2011 by BIGPoJo because: Actually the questions are directed at some other poster but you could answer them too.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Your last post was three dots. I don't do morse code.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is cool, I think Now it's the best time ever to be 3d artist, because they are going to need more content producers for this technology

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Exactly, and in the meantime established technology companies are releasing tech demos like "Endless City" and "Alien vs. Triangles."

Endless City:

Alien vs Triangles:

Or how about Unreal Engine 3:

The day that the unlimited detail people can release a video using their technology that looks even half as impressive as that, they may start turning some heads. Until then, they're going to keep getting pushed to the sidelines.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It's almost if I'm reading the script of Tron...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

reply to post by BIGPoJo

Your last post was three dots. I don't do morse code.

Post before that one.

This VVV

So what is it? Is it a scam? If its a scam why is he impressed? Where are all the other software engineers saying that this is a scam? BTW, I have a BSIT/SE and have been working with various languages since 2005. All I see is jealous nerd raging. Give it a few more days and he will back track even more. This reminds me of the guy that said "no one will buy 5 dollar coffe" but take a look at starbucks. People are quick to dismiss things they do not understand. What they describe is very possible with today's hardware, unless you are obtuse and think that we have already discovered all the tricks that are possible.

edit on 3-8-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Limbo

reply to post by BIGPoJo

BLAH

The subject of my PhD is this very field (real-time, 3d comp gfx) and I've been a graphics programmer for years. Rebutt the criticisms laid at this technology if you have something to say.

Arguing over the strawman point is a waste of resources so why argue about it but I will continue?

As I recall you made the claim it is a voxel engine and as the argument progressed I pointed out that it was a strawman argument because Notch assumed it was a voxel engine. I was correct in this.
If I remember correctly you used Notch's argument against voxel engines then later on it was admitted by the very same Notch that he was assuming that it was a voxel engine. tada strawman..
I'm sure you would squeal if I said "Let's attack middle eastern countries because I assume they have weapons of mass destruction and they are going to use them.."

If you have ever worked in games and tech you will know how "cagey/secretive" people can be over their tech because usually it's something that very simple and overlooked to do and can be easily reproduced.
Why would they reveal what it is? Have they patented their technology?

Currently I think the tech is unrealistic on today's machines, I do not see in the videos any moving entities
mesh/model deformations. Someone posted a video to Notch of a model being displayed using voxels.
The frame rate needed was quite low albeit the model was quite large. If you are adding moving entities and physics into the scene that's going to be a big performance hit so an engine running 20 FPS with no entities is going to run a lot slower with them. There is a lot more processing going on in a game than just displaying
a scene albeit a nice looking one..

Maybe they can pull it off who knows - the games industry is full of surprises like that and the power
of machines is increasing each time.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
*** NERDGASM ***

I've been waiting for this stuff ever since watching Total Recall and playing Sewer Shark and Ground Zero Texas on my Sega CD.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join