It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Congress Getting Even More Super Powers In Debt Deal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Kojiro

Yes.. you are fearmongering and you ahve absolutely no idea how our government works. Congress is responsible for day to day operations when it comes to how someting is funded. Congress can make any committee they want to deal with whatever consitutionally delegated authority they.

They what? Come on, finish that thought, damnit!

Yes, Congress should be forced to do their job, wehich is to represent the American people, not whatever political party they are a member of. Our reps represent their district, not just the people who voted for them.

And bills created by an elite committee that instantly create cuts across the board if one doesn't pass by a certain deadline is not representing the American people, it's representing the elite. Seriously, "pass one of our bills or you get instant cuts across the board" is not freedom, it's blackmail. Yeah, yeah, same thing will happen if even the Super Congress can't decide on a suitable bill to send to the floor, but with Obama acting as the dictatorial "tie-breaker," I doubt it will have much trouble coming up with something.

And no, Congressmen are not required to do anything about the current "budget crisis." They can let it slide and let the National Debt default—the United States has defaulted three times before on its debt, and it can do it again. As I said, the only mandate on Congress that forces it to do anything is that the Constitution says that it MUST convene at least once every year.

U.S. Constitution. Article 1. Section 4. Clause 2.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

You need to take more than just one civics class if you want to remain in this discussion. What you have sad so far reinforces why we need to spend more money on education.

If I were you I would go back to what ever institution you took your civic class from and ask for a refund because you got screwed.

Were you looking in a mirror when you typed that, because clearly you were not directing it towards me. And the mere fact that you're merely insulting people and their education makes it clear that you are not interested in civil discourse, so I shall name thee TROLL.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kojiro

Ummm... ok...

Constitutional delgated authorty from the last thought.. Sorry...

You guys feel free to complain about this all you want. Nothing anyone says is apparently going to change your mind so its has become pointless dont ya think?

You guys think it works one way, I see it working in a different way.. Guess we will ahve to wait to see what actually happens the first go around.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Kojiro

Ummm... ok...

Constitutional delgated authorty from the last thought.. Sorry...

You guys feel free to complain about this all you want. Nothing anyone says is apparently going to change your mind so its has become pointless dont ya think?

You guys think it works one way, I see it working in a different way.. Guess we will ahve to wait to see what actually happens the first go around.

That's fine - I do disagree. Fast tracked legislation is the last thing this country needs - a rush to judgement. Members of congress should be able to participate in the writing of the bill - that's what we elect them for - not handing it off to 12 people. What's the point of taking a census or each state having 2 reps if all we are going to do is let 12 people write the bills and submit it for vote? Amendments, and the back and forth are the way this republic works and has worked. Oh well I can't convince you, Paul can't convince you and even those that created it can't convince you this committee is powerful. Too powerful IMO.

My guess - this committee will set a precedent for future committees and maybe even a permanent one. This does and will erode the power of congress. Its just another step in the wrong direction, but we will just have to wait and see - its done now.
edit on 4-8-2011 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by mishigas
Who will be on this "Super Congress"?

My guesses...

Democrats:

Harry Reid
Nancy Pelosi
Chuck Schumer
John Kerry
Barney Frank
Barbara Boxer

Republicans:

Mitch McConnell
John Boehner
Olympia Snowe
Scott Brown
John McCain
?

Conservatives and America in general, We Are Truly Screwed.

edit on 2-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

Each and every one of those people are a progressive. It matters not that they are republican or democrat!

Snowe? Brown? McCain? If you're a conservative you have to be buying ammo right now.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I agree with Kajiro. This is most definitely unconstitutional. The Constitution specifically states that all budgets originate in the house. Period. Not some makeshift conglomerate of who's most popular from both the senate and the house. This can not stand.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

And bills created by an elite committee that instantly create cuts across the board if one doesn't pass by a certain deadline is not representing the American people, it's representing the elite. Seriously, "pass one of our bills or you get instant cuts across the board" is not freedom, it's blackmail. Yeah, yeah, same thing will happen if even the Super Congress can't decide on a suitable bill to send to the floor, but with Obama acting as the dictatorial "tie-breaker," I doubt it will have much trouble coming up with something.

^^ this would be the part I agree with and why i have a tab open to cheaperthandirt.com
edit on 4-8-2011 by tangonine because: typos

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

Snowe? Brown? McCain? If you're a conservative you have to be buying ammo right now.

I see that you got the gist of my choices. Touche'.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Each and every one of those people are a progressive. It matters not that they are republican or democrat!

Bingo!!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

If the Super Congress replaced congress then I would agree. Since the SC deals solely with budgeting, and the entire Congress must still vote on its bills, I dont see anything wrong with it since it still falls within the delegated powers of Congress by the Constitution.

As I said the straight up or down votes is done to get the budget in place. It does not prevent any members of Congress from offering up amendments / bills that would make chages to said budget (after budget is passed). The issue we face is the budget being held hostage to polotics (taxes vs spending cuts).

One of the main complaints during this last budget mess was not passing the common ground items. If congress is in 95% agreement on certain items, why not pass a bill dealing with that 95%, then coming back to work out the remaining 5%?

To me this is exactly what this Super Congress does. Sets up the initial budget, then allows for congress to come back to spread the pie around.

I agree that our Government was set up to be inefficient and is geared to ensure that the minority opinion is heard and taken into account. However we have seem to have taken that to an entirely new level and have moved from inefficient to just down right stupid.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join