It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway withdraws fighter jets from Libya mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
www.norwaypost.no...

The last four Norwegian F-16 fighter bombers engaged in missions over Libya have returned to Norway, ending Norway's four-month contribution to the NATO bombing operations

Norway's contribution has been six F-16 and a ground crew of 120 persons, stationed at a base on Crete. Two planes returned home earlier.

Norwegian pilots have flown a total of 596 missions over Libya and dropped 542 bombes by July 25th.

Good for Norway. I wonder what the cost of all of their missions in Libya is?

How long will it be until another country pulls out of the Libya conflict? I believe Britain, France, Canada, Belgium, Denmark, Italy and the United States are the countries that are still bombing Libya. Just a guess, but I think the next country to leave the conflict will be Belgium or Denmark.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Good on them.

I grow more and more disgusted by our government mirroring the Nazis.

Bombs for peace!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

596 missions over Libya and dropped 542 bombes

geeezz..what the hell is going on in Libya..

we are not being shown anything at all..

598 missions with 542 bombs dropped..only Norway

imagine the tally for all the countries..

this is total war

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

geeezz..what the hell is going on in Libya..

we are not being shown anything at all..

598 missions with 542 bombs dropped..only Norway

imagine the tally for all the countries..

this is total war

I found this article that also covers Norways withdrawl.

www.spacewar.com...

London has increased its contribution by adding four Tornado jets, effectively making up for the loss of the Norwegian planes.

NATO officials say Norway's departure will not affect the tempo of air operations, which have averaged more than 100 sorties per day including around 50 missions aimed at hitting targets.

More than 100 missions per day. Around half include "hitting" (Im guessing that means bombing) targets. I guess the other 50 are recon?

In the beginning of the mission, I think the US and UK fired around 140 something Tomahawk missiles and the French were the first to come in with jets. (Just the first days)

To my knowledge of the current situation, the UK and France are the ones doing the most bombing. I would say multipy Norways role by 10 times for the UK and France.

ETA - Not to mention the UK sent attack helicopters over there to. Im not sure if those count as "sorties"
edit on 2-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Norway has fighter jets?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Perhaps they contemplated the old adage

You reap what you sow

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

This is Obama's War and so the media are not going to show you dead Libyan children or bombed-out infrastructure. The people in charge of our government are psychopaths and so are the media elite.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well done norway!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sounds just like when Spain was bombed on their train system and withdrew from Iraq.

Norway gets the same and withdraws from Libya.

Good job the UK/USA/Israel/Allies/Coalition stand our ground. (9/11,7/7,1939)

Pi$$ poor performance (Norway) if you ask me... bending over to Extremists..

Regards.

edit on 2-8-2011 by Surreptitious because: Changed a quote.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We launched 140 Tomahawks at lowly little Libya?

Surprised China or Russia didn't take advantage of our depletion of Tomahawks.

jeez how many of those things have we fired off in the last decade plus all those missiles...

Unless we have one major stockpile of kill....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Actually, I think I overdid the tomahawk part of the first days of the mission

www.foxnews.com...

The U.S. fired four additional Tomahawk missiles at Libya air defense systems Sunday, bringing the grand total to 124, a senior U.S. Defense official tells Fox News.

Instead of 140, it was 124. Im not sure how many more have been fired over the other couple months.

Each Tomahawk missile costs $600,000, according to the official, bringing the initial costs of the strikes to approximately $71 million.

Surprised China or Russia didn't take advantage of our depletion of Tomahawks.

jeez how many of those things have we fired off in the last decade plus all those missiles...

Unless we have one major stockpile of kill

Ironically, I ran into this article without even looking for it.

Libya: Navy running short of Tomahawk missiles

Defence insiders say as many as 12 of the weapons have been fired from the hunter–killer submarine Triumph in the past four days.

If this is correct, the Navy will have used up to 20 per cent of its 64 Tomahawks in the opening salvos of the war, leading to fears that it is "burning through" its armoury.

The situation could become an embarrassment for the Government if the submarine were the only vessel within range of a number of targets but could not fulfil the mission.

I guess the UK is running low on Tomahawks now. The US on the other hand......problably has thousands.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by edward777
This is Obama's War......

Really? How can it be "Obama's War" when this was started by NATO?

new topics

top topics

join