It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria: 100 die in crackdown as Assad sends in his tanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Syria: 100 die in crackdown as Assad sends in his tanks

www.guardian.co.uk

Syria's uprising faced one of its defining moments when President Bashar al-Assad followed in his father's footsteps and sent in tanks to crush protests in the central city of Hama, killing up to 100 people and triggering a new wave of international outrage.

The National Organisation for Human Rights said that in total 136 people had been killed in Hama and three other towns. Activists described a massacre after armoured units ended a month-long siege to smash through makeshift barricades around the city just after dawn on the eve of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

International m
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
With so many international troops spread out among different countries, it seems like countries are free to run amok and open up heavy machine gun fire on civilians. Then again, I'm not sure Syria has anything to offer us that would warant our involvement.

I hope they put a stop to the mindless killing.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

The UN would be unable to move forward with anything in Syria, even if they wanted, as Russia would use their security council veto. Syria is their own little puppet state.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
C'mon ATS.

People are dying right now at the hands of their government fighting for basic human freedom.

Where is the outrage?

I guess there is no way to spin this into some diabolical conspiracy to spew more hate on the U.S. and western society therefore it is of little consequence or interest?

My hopes go out to the Syrian people but I see little chance of the west intervening in this one.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
So he just simply used Tanks against his own people?
tHEY MOST PROBERLY HAVE NOTHING TO TAKE THEM OUT WITH EITHER, NOT EVEN THOSE OLD tANKS.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It is beyond me why we are bombing Libya on a daily basis to try to keep their President from attacking his own citizens...yet we stand idly by while this guy kills hundreds a week, with no end in sight.

Sorry, but I do not buy the flimsy reason...given on the these pages previously...that the Arab League asked us to intercede in Libya, but has not put out the call for intervention in Syria.

Whatever the reason(s), pity the poor Syrian public at this point...and here's hoping they ultimately win in their struggle.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
C'mon ATS.

People are dying right now at the hands of their government fighting for basic human freedom.

Where is the outrage?

I guess there is no way to spin this into some diabolical conspiracy to spew more hate on the U.S. and western society therefore it is of little consequence or interest?

My hopes go out to the Syrian people but I see little chance of the west intervening in this one.

After all of the lies that justified invading Afghanistan, Iraq; threats to invade Iran; and supporting terrorists in the Libyan civil war, you think this news story is suddenly legitimate?

And you think the West should jump into Syria on some humanitarian rampage mission just like in Libya? Yes, the west should drop liberty bombs on the Syria people to save them.

Do you not realize that Western intelligence operatives are funding and supporting "Arab Spring"? All of this violence is stemmed from the West so the West can carry out violence to apparently end the violence that they started. Blowback apparently doesn't ring a bell anymore.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
C'mon ATS.

Where is the outrage?

You misunderstand.

I am outraged at the fact he is killing his own citizens. I am outraged any time a government kills it's citizens. But if NATO and the U.S. get involved all we will have is a foreign government killing citizens. (over 30,000 civilians killed in Af/Pak, 850,000 killed in Iraq, and over 1000 in Libya already.)

A wise man once said "take the plank out of your own eye before you worry about the speck of dust in somebody elses".

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
My heart goes out to them.

Syria is becoming worse than Iran that is for sure.

And yet the world does nothing, but comment. Typical. I suppose Syria does not have oil ?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

If there is war and violence it is there ONLY because of the west and the US... If there is peace it is in spite of the west and the US... Come on... Most people were screaming "We went into afghanistan and Iraq for no reason.... Now the US wont go in where it is called for, in Libya." Then, the US gets involved and everyone is crying about it.

The world is SCREWED!!!! You have a bunch of know it all punks spewing hate and opinions, blaming everything on the US and the west....

Is there a mental midget here that can explain why there was war in the middle east LONG before the US got involved?? Can you? Do you really think the US and the west is the only reason for violence there??

How about this... This "my god is better than your god" has been the cause of most of the violence there... A bunch of unevolved religious freaks, will never find peace! period!!!!

I wish we would pull ALL of our troops home and let these neanderthals kill each other... Heck, then we would be blamed for doing nothing. Its pathetic...

All things lead to the US, The West and Rome!!! Ask a mouth breather, they will tell you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

After all of the lies that justified invading Afghanistan, Iraq; threats to invade Iran; and supporting terrorists in the Libyan civil war, you think this news story is suddenly legitimate?

So your contention is that everything is fine in Syria, 'Demtri'?

Or do you merely always take a contrary position to 'the west' regardless of, you know, facts?@@:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
My heart goes out to them.

Syria is becoming worse than Iran that is for sure.

And yet the world does nothing, but comment. Typical. I suppose Syria does not have oil ?

Syria has lots of oil. But 'action' can not be taken without a UN resolution (or a Bush-eqsue go-it-alone approach that violates international law). A UN resolution would require passage through the UN security council, which would be blocked by Russians veto power, because Russia controls Syria, and has for a while.

What would you propose? At least media reports are getting out of the country, so people can at least know what is going on.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Or do you merely always take a contrary position to 'the west' regardless of, you know, facts?@@:

You speak to me of facts?

The West has murdered hundreds of thousands in the middle east over the last decade. The West has incited civil war just so they can sneak in and take over economic assets.

These are the facts. As for the poster complaining about "punks" who blame the West for all of the problems there. Guess what? That's because they are responsible. Try studying geopolitics and social engineering instead of watching lies on TV and you'll learn the definition of divide and conquer. And I say this as someone from the West who believes in global harmony, not a division of a rich west and war ravaged east.

I don't know where you guys get this assumption that going into Libya was a catch 22. What the hell would the west have lost if they didn't get involved? Their dignity as the world police? We've created civil war in Libya while we bomb their water supplies and media stations FFS!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Let me jump in for a moment even though this wasn't directed toward me.

Dimitri didnt say everything was fine in Syria, I don't think anyone in the world feels that way. His point is whatever is going on there, starting a war will not make it better. I agree with sanctions, and peace talk ect, but as the U.S. has shown over and over, when they go into a country, civilians start dying at a faster rate then before we were there.

That is a fact.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

You speak to me of facts?

The West has murdered hundreds of thousands in the middle east over the last decade. The West has incited civil war just so they can sneak in and take over economic assets.

These are the facts.

I am in no way denying that.

But I am curious how that somehow makes the above news story all a lie, which was your contention. Ae you under the impression Syria is a wonderful place, and that there is no real popular descent? That ALL the stories about massacres and mass protest there are just made up?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

Dimitri didnt say everything was fine in Syria, I don't think anyone in the world feels that way. His point is whatever is going on there, starting a war will not make it better. I agree with sanctions, and peace talk ect, but as the U.S. has shown over and over, when they go into a country, civilians start dying at a faster rate then before we were there.

That is a fact.

Actually, no, his contention was that the entire story in the OP was a lie.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

That is a fact.

Actually, no, his contention was that the entire story in the OP was a lie.

No, I do not deny that it's happening. I am saying that it is happening because the West makes it happen so we can crusade ourselves in there to "fix" it.

It's a Syrian problem. If the US government started cracking down on US civilians with tanks, do you think an outside empire should start bombing the US as part of a "humanitarian mission"?

EDIT: Nevermind answering, it looks like you're banned anyways. Personally, I don't really agree with banning people unless they make extremely bad posting decisions, regardless of their position. I'm not sure why you were banned, but I think it's ATS that suffers the most everytime I see rivals and like-minded posters banned.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

The Syrians are determined to topple Assad. They are fighting a true revolution where the people are seeing their brethren and relatives dying and they are becoming angry. More and more will rise until the government gets over-run.

This is a true revolution, not like the one in Libya.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

160 Benghazi civilians killed as by Qatari tanks and NATO helicopters

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-8-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Do Not blame the U.S., blame the UN! That is there function. While the killing of innocent people is horrible, it is not a U.S. problem along with Libya.. The U.S was not attacked or threatened ans should have no involvement in any of these countries.

top topics

join