It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S.A the lesser of the evils?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
is the U.S the lesser of the possible evils as far as a dominating world superpower? if a war broke out today and the winner would get to be the dominating global superpower politically, economically and culturally, would you pick the U.S over islam, china, russia as the worlds foremost superpower?

i decided to write this thread after having a debate w a friend of mine. coming from a former communist country my friend used to be a gung ho america supporter big time republican defender. having lived his early years in a communist country he would tell me how much better our system was and he would praise the "american dream". it seems now his attitude has changed and i find myself defending americas honor in our debates(used to be the other way around). he claims the world hates us. my arguement is that while the world may hate our foreign policy, how would the world be if foreign policy was dictated by some other country? the world loves our culture, music, fashion, sports, way of life etc etc. unfortunately our very own confidence is concieved as arrogance and our arrogance and personality traits is why the world hates us along w our botched foreign policy, by us believing that we are the best and that our culture is the best, it makes the world hate us more. which brought me to my final point in our arguement, since world war 2 and especially since the end of the cold war the u.s has been the dominating super power in the world, do u think that the world would be a better place if communism would have been the dominating world super power, or nazism, or if japan had won world war 2??? i guess what i am asking is, is the u.s the lesser of the evils that could be ruling the planet?? my answer is yes, the u.s would be the lesser of all possible evils at this point in time. i feel the world needs a scapegoat to complain about and it is americas turn to be the bad guy..

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

I'm not sure a country that is dancing right on the edge of an economical collapse is qualified to fill the role of a 'politically dominating global superpower'.

China gets my vote

edit on 31/7/2011 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

lol u got a good point there!! the future seems so uncertain at this point, the one certaints seems to be the demise of the u.s economically.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tachalka

I'm not sure a country that is dancing right on the edge of an economical collapse is qualified to fill the role of a 'politically dominating global superpower'.

China gets my vote

edit on 31/7/2011 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

Actually, many speculate that china is on the verge of a major economic metldown as well, fueled by rapid housing speculation

online.wsj.com...

BEIJING—After years of housing prices gone wild, China's property bubble is starting to deflate. Residential prices are heading downward in some major cities, damping some undesired real-estate speculation but raising the prospect that the Chinese economy may slow more rapidly than anticipated with profound consequences for global growth.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I must admit, global economies aren't my strong point. In fact I don't have a strong point

Anyhow thanks for the info, it seems if one power was to take over we would be screwed regardless of who it was

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tachalka
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Anyhow thanks for the info, it seems if one power was to take over we would be screwed regardless of who it was

Which is probably the best argument for strong, independent international regulatory agencies for these international banks.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

How can a military/industrial complex that is based on corruption and greed be the lesser of two evils. All are equally evil. Need I remind you of this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
most evil to less evil in this order

islam because hey just look at any thread on ats and then go look at any middle eastern country and you still have the eilite usurping control by the more radical that control out of fear and manipulation

china simple fact maos murder of 70 million people under the guise of doing goodness and joy of communism

russia hasnt been on its game since its collapse

america well everyone can sit here and gripe about how evil the us is things you cant do under islam and communism.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Obviously America's system is the best. You have to remember that the main reason none of those other ideology's won out is because it was not supported by the people at large. They could not make those systems work for their populations so they collapsed so your answer is already written in history. If communism was so strong the Soviet Union would not have collapsed or Nazi'ism would have been welcomed by the nations that were occupied.

The people don't like those systems and will fight against them while America's system, in principle, is usally supported by the populace. There are also many other factors that lead into being a superpower but you did not mention those in your question so I won't delve into them here.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

history has a way of being written by the victors. propoganda plays a major part in how we view the world. to say that nazi concentration camps, the rape of nanking, mao's great leap forward, stalin's 5 year plan, the u.s bombing of hiroshima & nagasaki are all equally evil is like asking if u would rather have a slow painful death of torture or be killed instantly and painlessly. the end result is death but we could sit here and argue all day the methods.

top topics

join