It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States ponder: What happens when the money stops?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Link

Ohio has an 8.8 percent jobless rate and "if the country stops paying its bills now, those numbers will only get worse," a bipartisan group of Ohio mayors said in a letter to the White House, calling for a settlement. All states rely on federal aid, but the impact will vary state to state. New Jersey, for example, counts on a smaller percent of federal money for state spending than other states, chiefly because it has more wealthy residents. Kansas gets about half its money from Washington. California, the nation's most populous state, gets nearly $80 billion annually, much of it for health care for the poor. If the debt ceiling is not lifted by the deadline, the Treasury Department, which issues tens of millions of payments each month for everything from food stamps to Social Security, would have to decide what bills it could pay, in what order. The amount of cash would be limited, since the government borrows about 40 cents of every dollar it spends. With the fall school term approaching, the University of California is trying to figure out what a U.S. default would mean for more than $3.5 billion in federal research dollars and student aid it's slated to get this year — 720,000 students receive Pell Grants at UC, one of the nation's largest public universities.

This is not how the system should work at all. Why do the states collect their own taxes and then still rely on the federal government for more? The problem is that the federal government is in breach of the Constitution in many areas, doing things that they should not do. California leeches so much money in so many different ways that it is just sad. Maybe if they stopped giving free education and medicine and other handouts to illegals they would not have such a problem? We need to default if only to expose all of this crap. We need a big reset and make all levels of government start back at $0. Every budget year all lines of the budget should start at zero. Then make the damn bureaucrats justify every single penny.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Link

Ohio has an 8.8 percent jobless rate and "if the country stops paying its bills now, those numbers will only get worse," a bipartisan group of Ohio mayors said in a letter to the White House, calling for a settlement. All states rely on federal aid, but the impact will vary state to state. New Jersey, for example, counts on a smaller percent of federal money for state spending than other states, chiefly because it has more wealthy residents. Kansas gets about half its money from Washington. California, the nation's most populous state, gets nearly $80 billion annually, much of it for health care for the poor. If the debt ceiling is not lifted by the deadline, the Treasury Department, which issues tens of millions of payments each month for everything from food stamps to Social Security, would have to decide what bills it could pay, in what order. The amount of cash would be limited, since the government borrows about 40 cents of every dollar it spends. With the fall school term approaching, the University of California is trying to figure out what a U.S. default would mean for more than $3.5 billion in federal research dollars and student aid it's slated to get this year — 720,000 students receive Pell Grants at UC, one of the nation's largest public universities.

This is not how the system should work at all. Why do the states collect their own taxes and then still rely on the federal government for more? The problem is that the federal government is in breach of the Constitution in many areas, doing things that they should not do. California leeches so much money in so many different ways that it is just sad. Maybe if they stopped giving free education and medicine and other handouts to illegals they would not have such a problem? We need to default if only to expose all of this crap. We need a big reset and make all levels of government start back at $0. Every budget year all lines of the budget should start at zero. Then make the damn bureaucrats justify every single penny.

We just make our own medium of trade. State by state.

Create a state amendment that allows us to make our own medium of trade or state currency(electronic).

file for bankrupcy on a national level?

edit on 31-7-2011 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Maybe if they stopped giving free education and medicine and other handouts to illegals they would not have such a problem?.

Yes, those darn illegals are sucking the treasury dry!

Embed

Total Cost of Wars Since 2001 $1,228,549,168,297

costofwar.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Ok, that total cost of wars since 2001 is 1.3 trillion versus a total debt of 14.5 Trillion that's less than ten percent of the total debt. I'll concede the Bush tax cuts contributed at least as much as the wars to the debt, so the question now becomes what else do you cut?

As much as the anti-war crowd wants to believe it, the wars though expensive, are by no means the only place we as a nation overspend. I'm ready for these wars to end as well and I really don't care in what state we leave Iraq or Afghanistan the neighborhood is degenerating anyway.

Stop the wars, repeal the Bush tax cuts, and then what? That still would not leave the US running a primary surplus.
edit on 31-7-2011 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

I merely offered those numbers in contrast to the OP claiming that illegal immigrants are the sole cause of our budget crises.

Yes, cuts need to be made across the board. But blaming 'immigrants' is stupid.

edit on 31-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Maybe if they stopped giving free education and medicine and other handouts to illegals they would not have such a problem?.

Yes, those darn illegals are sucking the treasury dry!

Embed

Total Cost of Wars Since 2001 $1,228,549,168,297

costofwar.com...

What's the cost for illegals to our country?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebonnet

Good question. Feel free to do some research.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
ezinearticles.com...?&id=3531013

www.usatoday.com...

ever hear of the term unfunded liabilities ?

blah crying over 1 trillion try 61 trillion that can never be paid for.

to the op too true that state have their hands out to the feds it needs to stop but the biggest reason states have their hands out to the fed is because they mold themselves after the government.

age old government credo make others pay instead of yourself

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Name one area the government is in breach of the Constitution please.

People often claim this without actually even knowing what the document states so I am putting you on the spot.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

reply to post by jefwane

I merely offered those numbers in contrast to the OP claiming that illegal immigrants are the sole cause of our budget crises.

Yes, cuts need to be made across the board. But blaming 'immigrants' is stupid.

edit on 31-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)
Did you read the entire post? Was cutting off payments to illegal immigrants my only suggestion?

To the poster talking about the huge cost of the war vs immigration: How much of the war budget comes out of California's state treasury?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Did you read the entire post? Was cutting off payments to illegal immigrants my only suggestion?

Yes.

And Yes.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

People often claim this without actually even knowing what the document states so I am putting you on the spot.
Only one? Ok, I will go with an easy one. The 10th amendment....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Do you understand what that means? If the federal government is not SPECIFICALLY GIVEN A POWER then it does not have that power and can not claim it. That power is RESERVED for the states or the people.
The one specific charge I will lay here is the implementation of the dept of education(Orwellian double speak at it's best, but that is another topic). Education is a power not given the feds, thus the dept of education is unconstitutional. There is your 1. There are lots more examples, but I am sure you can research that yourself. Just look at the 4th, and 10th amendments for some prime examples.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Yes.

And Yes.

We need a big reset and make all levels of government start back at $0. Every budget year all lines of the budget should start at zero. Then make the damn bureaucrats justify every single penny.

Do you comprehend these sentences?

edit on 31-7-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Unfortunately that would only work within state borders. As soon as you cross a state border, you hit hit an area where the feds have legitimate power.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Only one? Ok, I will go with an easy one. The 10th amendment....

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Do you understand what that means? If the federal government is not SPECIFICALLY GIVEN A POWER then it does not have that power and can not claim it. That power is RESERVED for the states or the people.
The one specific charge I will lay here is the implementation of the dept of education(Orwellian double speak at it's best, but that is another topic). Education is a power not given the feds, thus the dept of education is unconstitutional. There is your 1. There are lots more examples, but I am sure you can research that yourself. Just look at the 4th, and 10th amendments for some prime examples.

This is a prime example of a grey area in the Constitution. It has to legitimate sides and the legality of it will depend on which side you believe. The department of education could be and is declared Constitutional by falling under Congress's power under the Commerce Clause and those opposed to it will bring up the 10th amendment.

You obviously fall under those that believe it's unconstitutional but that doesn't mean it can't be argued the other way. Also as far as I know the Supreme Court has never taken up the Constitutionality of the Department of Education specifically but their many rulings involving the department have validated it by default.

Therefore since the Supreme Court, who is the law of the land, has decided that the department of education is not unconstitutional there is no way that you can claim it is. It has been decided already.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

the 'Supreme Court" works for the Fed..

enough said.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by kro32

the 'Supreme Court" works for the Fed..

enough said.

Well you guys are S**T out of luck then

Have to settle with your little whine sessions

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
And some heavy trolling from others

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yes people always bring up the troll word when they run out legitimate things to say and realize they have just been out debated.

I've backed up my statement with a well thought out response but it seems all we get from you is your need to call people trolls. I fail to see how you add anything to the threads you contribute too.

Who is really the troll I wonder?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Well you guys are S**T out of luck then

Have to settle with your little whine sessions

You consider the above comment means I was "out debated" ?

I didn't see you actually debate my comment or win that debate..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join