It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something i've found while metal detecting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I found this rocky object about 2 months ago, and it was around 10 inches deep, still dont now what it is, now i finally got my camera i decided to make some pictures and a video about the object, My metal detector did not react on it, it reacted on a spike near it, so i found it accidentally

Here's the vid

pics

it still got my curiosity, what could it be, you cant really see it really good but it has small brown/green stripes on it

could it be... a meteorite?
edit on 30-7-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2011 by Silend because: added text

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
it roofing tar that has been left to set in a plastic bag,

congrats you found builders waste.
edit on 3030/7/11 by BobbyShaftoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If it's a meteorites then a magnet with stick to it.

But seeing how your metal detector didn't go off I doubt it.

link   
Looks like glass. Nice photos. Someone here will know what that is.

link   
Looks very similar to obsidian.
www.sourcecatalog.com...
edit on 30-7-2011 by AskWhy11 because: wrong image

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Silend

I hate to add fluff to a thread but.... I have no idea. It appears as if it were molten at some point. Are there volcanoes nearby? By nearby, I mean within, I don't know, 100 miles or so? Any natural sources of magma? Can you give more precise details of where it was found?

Of course my mind jumped immediately to meteorite and I have to thank you for not making that your headline and guiding people's thoughts.

It's more likely some type of igneous rock but I'll save diagnosis for someone more knowledgeable...

ETA: After a second look it's almost certainly volcanic in origin. Even then, cool find.
edit on 30-7-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbyShaftoe

how can it be metallic, my metal detector did not react on it, its not a cheap metal detector so it should react on it if it has some metal inside

like i said i found it near a spike or other iron object ( i dont exacly remember ), so i found it accidentally

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AskWhy11
Looks very similar to obsidian.
www.sourcecatalog.com...
edit on 30-7-2011 by AskWhy11 because: wrong image

That was my first though, I used to collect things like Quartz and Obsidian when I was younger and this looks very similar. I think it is molten magma that has turned solid into the rock.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am no expert, but if the "spike" belonged to an old railroad track, then coal would seem to be a reasonable guess.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack
reply to post by Silend

I hate to add fluff to a thread but.... I have no idea. It appears as if it were molten at some point. Are there volcanoes nearby? By nearby, I mean within, I don't know, 100 miles or so? Any natural sources of magma? Can you give more precise details of where it was found?

Of course my mind jumped immediately to meteorite and I have to thank you for not making that your headline and guiding people's thoughts.

It's more likely some type of igneous rock but I'll save diagnosis for someone more knowledgeable...

magma, that would be weird, i live in the north of the Netherlands, no vulcanoes here..

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by swordwords

well i am not really really shure if it was a spike or other scrap metal i found it with, because it was 2 months ago, but i suggest it was a spike because you mostly find spikes

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
when you say found near a spike, would that be a RailRoad Track Spike?

If so it may be a partially burned piece of coal from when steam engines ruled the tracks.

Over time, the crumbled burnt part of the coal comes off leaving something similar to your pictures.

Not guaranteeing that is what you found, just an idea to consider.

Unable to sign onto ATS Media to embed picture. Please see link:

Picture of Railroad Spike & Coal
edit on 7/30/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: typo

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It looks like obsidian to me.

Nice rock though, could very well be an obsidian meteor.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by swordwords

Good thought. I'm no coal expert but I know it can have a luster to it. The thing is... see those holes? Those indicate bubbles. That indicates a fiery origin.

ETA: As a child, my family would go to the mountains here and a sort of pastime was finding arrowheads. Most were obsidian, some were even stone. Nearly always dark black. However, I have seen people catch a few that ranged from black to gray, to orange-ish to even bright, brilliant red. As an earlier poster suggested, and from what I can see in the pictures, it does almost appear to be some other rock that was "coated" if you will, in obsidian.

It won't hurt to try to break off a piece. See if it remains jagged and sharp. Can you confirm that those are bubbles?
edit on 30-7-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

I dont now how heavy stone coal is but i suggest this ''rock'' is about 300 gram

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Looks like FLINT. you know, what they used to make arrowheads with.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The rock in question resembles a reddish obsidian that I have collected in Northern California and seen other places. It's often called "mahogany". It's similar to the black obsidian, but has more hematite/iron in it, and is less glassy than the black stuff; it's sometimes more bubbly and stony than glassy, and harder to work into blades and points, but it's obsidian nonetheless.

Check the second picture on this page for some red obsidian that resembles your piece.
Red obsidian, scroll down to 2nd pic

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

By Jove , I believe you are right.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/871bd7d64ae8.jpg[/atsimg]

Altho , now that I compare them the OP s sample seems to be just a lil translucent , so I am no longer sure
edit on 30-7-2011 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Brown

Exactly. We find the same thing in the mountains by the central valley in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Still though, I have questions about it. It certainly looks to be obsidian but something is slightly off...

I mean, it forms in different ways but the inclusion of another substance could make it an entirely different species of rock.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

Could you tell me how heavy obsidian is? is it heavy? because this small piece of obsidian is pretty heavy i think for its size

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join