It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet's Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Today, I unveil an idea I've had on mind for some time now to this forum. Before you dismiss it as silliness, read and understand it carefully, then offer your constructive criticism. Mods, if this is in the wrong category, please move it.

The Congress of the Internet, formed right here at ATS, will comprise 435 representatives and 100 senators, one from each of the districts, making up the online version of the U.S. Congress. We'll begin with the House; those members of ATS who wish to represent, post below your congressional district, followed by a summary of what you'd do if you were a part of the actual U.S. Congress. After we've gotten one individual for all 435 districts, we'll move on to electing the Senate, using the same process, ATS members stating their senatorial districts and again constructing a summary. Once all 535 positions have been filled, our Congress will begin. Representatives can propose legislation and other representatives can vote on them, just like they would in a real congress. This entire charade is for entertainment purposes only. We can see from this what a Congress of real citizens would look like and do.

Further notes: in the event that more than one member wishes to represent the same district, the vote on who ultimately wins the seat will go to the rest of the ATS community.

Thank you for reading. Again, your comments are much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a fun idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Oregon's 5th district.

Were I so privileged as to be elected to the actual House of Representatives, I'd first endorse the creation of two amendments to the U.S. Constitution: the first being term limits (two terms of three years) and the other for the banning of lobbyists influencing lawmakers' decisions. On the latter amendment, violation of it would be tantamount to treason. I'd then endorse a repeal of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, the Homeland Security Act of 2002, the PATRIOT Act of 2001 and the 14th Amendment. Any legislation my colleagues introduce would have to adhere to the Constitution. If it does not, I'd happily cast a 'nay' vote. I would uphold my oath of office unlike so many politicians today and ensure liberty is not trampled on again. I will serve my maximum of two terms and then return to working in another field.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Actually, I think this would be a fun idea, too. The problem is that ATS is far from being a typical sampling of American citizens. Based on a typical day's posting here, the first item of debate would be whether to immediately disclose the existence of extra-terrestrials or to disband the federal government and let everyone fend for themselves.

new topics

top topics

join