It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ronald Reagan A time For Choosing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
watch and reflect these videos for they still ring true this day the more things change the more they stay the same.

listen for the love of aqua buddah listen to him
edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Why he's so slick ya mighta thought he was an actor or somethin. Just listen ta them jewels a wisdom pouring forth from those golden lips. Why sure, I'd buy a used car from a fella like that.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
Why he's so slick ya mighta thought he was an actor or somethin. Just listen ta them jewels a wisdom pouring forth from those golden lips. Why sure, I'd buy a used car from a fella like that.

Don't bother to comment on what he said... Just lob insults and sarcasm at him. I'm sure that will make your point more eloquently than any intelligent analysis of why you disagree....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Timeless wisdom.

Just get ready for the prog, Brother Neo. They hate true individalists like Reagan.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BomSquad

Thank you squad. I still tend towards the sarcastic when wisdom and Reagan are used in the same sentence.
Reagan had a way of seeming to be a regular guy, an Everyman when he stood before us. His ah shucks appearance of friendliness could charm vast numbers of folk into believing the corporately dictated propaganda that was written for him to speak on a daily basis.

He could seem to be "Joe" with a long stem of alfalfa hanging from his mouth, sitting at a pickle barrel discussing that weeks hog reports and within minutes, reach into the hearts and minds of his listeners have them wrapped in a cosmetic haze of patriotic fervor. He was the corporate shill man par excellence.

Of course his words sounded wise. They were written from boiled down ideological positions known to appeal to certain types of gullible people in very similar ways to the boiled down ideological positions written for Obama's speeches.

A century earlier, there had been a populist uprising against the tycoons and robber barrons, the descendants of which today are known as the elite and the powers that be. Some of their mega-monopolies were dismantled and restrictions were placed on their ability to accumulate even vaster amounts of wealth. The control of the nations economy these tycoons had was stymied for a while and they did not like it. The nation had turned decidedly anti big business. This had to change for the richer to get even richer.

Through the economic crashes and world wars those who pushed the corporate agenda took a back seat and wore the friendly smile of the chamber of commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers. For decades they constantly tried to break down the publics abhorrence to concentrated wealth in the hands of the rich and the control it could have over society.

But they never gave up. They developed advertising to promote consumerism, the planting of the idea of "want fulfillment " instead of just needs. Radio came along and friendly voices made neighborly suggestions on how to live more happily if we just buy their product. And the public softened.

Those friendly voices were joined by friendly and neighborly faces with the coming of television. By the sixties the major networks were owned by major corporations and the war to turn the American public into faithful consumers, trusting in the wisdom and foresight of big business, hit it's stride. All it needed was a face. A voice. A character. And bingo, there he was.

A handsome actor. An already proven shill for cleaning detergent. Who better to promote the cleaning up of America. Who better to be the public smile as the restrictions and regulations that we the people had helped to place on the monopolists and the plutocrats were discarded one after another paving the way for unprecedented accumulations of wealth in the hands of the few.

Behind Reagan were those who took the stopper out of Pandora's bottle. He chanted from memory the American Dream and said this is how we do it. This and this and this. And America believed. and opened the door of the cage loosing the corporate hounds of hell.

Reagan was the consummate lying machine. Not that he lied. But rather that he did not have mental capacity to understand the lies he was given to promote. He just smiled and recited his lines as only an accomplished actor can.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
Reagan was the consummate lying machine. Not that he lied. But rather that he did not have mental capacity to understand the lies he was given to promote. He just smiled and recited his lines as only an accomplished actor can.

...excellent post... i agree with the above except that i would put a time frame on it (his presidency)...

...when he got into california politics, he knew he was promoting a twisted-tongue agenda - just like he was fully aware that he was not really the characters he represented in movies, tv shows and commercials...

...like you said, he was a product sold to the public via mass media and the many citizens mindlessly sucked it up, just like they did when the "diamonds are a girl's best friend" insanity was promoted - AND - just like so many are now doing with the hate muslims propaganda...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Excellent post. While I may disagree with your assessment, I applaud your sincerity in presenting it.

"That government is best which governs least." - attributed to Thomas Paine.

This is a philosophy Reagan espoused on numerous occasions. I find I agree with it. The sheer size of the US Government was staggering when Reagan made the speech posted by the OP, but it is even more egregious today.

There are too many rules and regulations, and too many bureaucrats enforcing them. Too many unelected individuals appointed to oversee the masses. Too many departments and bureaus with their unaccountable czars.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

The Government does not fear the people, and so does not feel accountable to the people. Many in the government bureaucracy do not feel that they are there to serve the people, but rather the opposite, that the people are there to serve them.

The entire idea of service to the people has become an outmoded concept in today's age, and the thought of it is laughed at. People who believe in sacrifice and service to their fellow citizens are considered stupid and naive, when these used to be the people most respected and admired.

Today's mantra is "look out for number one and to hell with everyone else" and we are just now realizing what a bitter harvest we will reap from these ashes we have sown....

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BomSquad

"That government is best which governs least." - attributed to Thomas Paine.

Any people, anywhere, have organization. From tribal "Big Man" leadership to democracies. The government of a free people will be bigger than a "Big Man " tribe because in theory, all the people will be governors, all the people will govern themselves, and those who add the most and serve the best will be sought after for wisdom.

To my mind, the very idea of government as the enemy is a testament to our failure as a free people. Not the governments failure, but our failure to govern ourselves.

I find myself in agreement with all the points of your post. This government is not ours. It is not us. It only pretends to be of and for us. The struggle between "the people" and the authorities has a long history, a back and forth teeter totter.
Government is the tool of the governors. We have abdicated our repsonsibility of governing ourselves and handed it over to others. Those with the money.

Government should be a tool of the people. It should be a way for the people to control themselves in an orderly fashion for the benefit of all the people. So I rail not against government but those who own the government.

To my understanding of history, Ronald Reagan was instrumental in handing over the last of the reigns of the peoples control on society and handing those reigns to the masters of deceptiveness who will take our country and our world down a path of their own choosing instead of ours.

new topics

top topics

join