It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Orders Nixon's 297-Page Watergate Testimony Unsealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

www.theatlanticwire.com

Ray Gustini 1:39 PM ET 45 Views Comment
Chief U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth has ordered the U.S. government to unseal the 297-page transcript of former President Richard Nixon's secret grand jury testimony about Watergate, reports the Associated Press.

The testimony was "taken near Nixon’s California home in 1975" shortly after he left office, writes Washington Post federal courts reporter Del Quentin Wilber.

The government can still appeal the ruling, so we won't get to see the transcripts quite yet, but the grand jury testimony has long been one of the Holy Grails of amateur Watergate buffs, along with the 4,000 hours of Watergate-related recordings still sitting in the National Archives waiting to be released.

In his ruling, Dilberth sided with the scholars and historians who brought the suit. The key quote in the ruling, as highlighted by Wilber: “The special circumstances presented here--namely, undisputed historical interest in the requested records--far outweigh the need to maintain the secrecy of the records," writes Dilberth. "The Court is confident that disclosure will greatly benefit the public and its understanding of Watergate without compromising the tradition and objectives of grand jury secrecy.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nowpublic.com
www.rawstory.com
www.washi ngtonpost.com
uk.news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bush Sr., Nixon and Watergate: An investigation
New Nixon Tapes Show Watergate "Game Plan"
edit on 29-7-2011 by N34Li3Z because: screwed up the external news part

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well, we should be illuminated to the whole watergate scandal, and conspiracy, and Nixon, Watergate, and the JFK Assassination. I saw this tweeted, then found sources online to confirm this plan to release 297 pages of the Watergate Testimony, and having not been a fan of this conspiracy, have little to say, or opinion as to what it may or may not reveal; however, I am interested in a little background on why, and who the judge is (he is named) and his background, and what persuaded him to do this. It should be interesting to say the least.

www.theatlanticwire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Another good ole Texan! Judge C. Lamberth is a graduate of University of Texas (RON PAUL COUNTRY!)

en.wikipedia.org...

He was nominated to the federal bench on March 19, 1987 by President Ronald Reagan, and confirmed by the United States Senate on November 13, 1987. He also served as Presiding Judge of the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court from 1995 to 2002.[2]

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

I think the timing is interesting as well.

Could this be a distraction from current issues?

I am looking forward to reading these documents.

Nixon was very bitter toward the end.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I am looking forward to the release of this document.

Nixon was pretty much as bizarre and crooked as we all thought in the 70s...actually he was crooked pretty much his entire political career.
For insight into what made Nixon tick, may I recommend:

Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon

Great book to hold you until the transcript comes out

new topics

top topics

join