It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sun is exactly where it should be!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

Could it be the CC word?
Climate change?

edit on 8/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Feel free to elaborate, if you want me to uderstand what you are getting at.

I´m not even sure wich post you are referring to.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I was referring to your post. Climate change affects arctic regions first and most. If this mirage effect is new that is the likely explanation. But on the other hand something that happens rarely in a remote area isn't likely to have gotten much press until recently so we don't really know if it's new.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I guess we will have to wait a year to get more data and see if this is caused by a consistent change in atmospherical temperatures.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

A layer of cold air along the ground acted like a lens or mirror, bending light over the horizon so that it seemed the sun had risen.” Read more:

A layer of cold air. I don´t know, but I guess climate change is not making the air colder over there.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainInstaban
I find it strange that after centuries of exact timing, optical illusions are now causing these anamolies all of a sudden.

Umm... no, the Novaya Zemlya effect, of which the greenland thing is an example, was first named back in 1597.
This isnt new.

I recall reading a Sky and Telescope magazine from the early 1980's in which a reader watched sunrise every day and compared the theoretical to the actual time. It was mostly ok, but varied a LOT on occasion. One day the sun rose, set and then rose again a second time. Its the same Novaya Zemlya effect caused by varying atmospheric refraction.

I posted a link to another set of similar observations (1987 - 1989), back on page 3.

This isnt new.

Edit - here is another reference, from 1979

the Novaya Zemlya effect, reported by polar explorers on several occasions as an anomalous sunrise during the polar winter, when the position of the sun was below the horizon.

OpticsInfobase
edit on 2-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

A layer of cold air with a layer of warm air on top of it. A temperature inversion. It allows objects below the horizon to be seen.

Since superior mirages are caused by cold air lying beneath relatively warmer air, they are most common and strongest in the Earth's polar regions where the surface is covered by ice or snow or cold seas for most of the year. The arctic mirage is a term that has been applied to superior mirages in northern polar latitudes, particularly when the conditions alter the appearance of the earth's horizon to allow us to see objects that actually are located well beyond or below the geometric horizon.

www.islandnet.com...

It doesn't really require climate change but warm air migrating north would seem likely to make it more common.

edit on 8/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, I see what you mean, I guess the guy that made the statement should´ve been more clear about that.

reply to post by alfa1

But has this effect been known to make the sun rise 2 days early in the past?

edit on 2-8-2011 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The sun is rising in Canada more to the north in the sky. The sunset seems normal. I cant explane this, just know its true

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A layer of cold air with a layer of warm air on top of it. A temperature inversion. It allows objects below the horizon to be seen.

I'm fortunate enough to have a great view from my living room window out across a great expanse of water, where I can see shipping and some land in the far off distance. Normally, I can see ships 40km away with binoculars, the masts and towers just peeking above the horizon, but the hulls not visible.
On two occasions, the atmosphere has been kind enough to let me see the land that is 60 km away with no difficulty whatsoever. The entire ships at that location easily visible right down to the waterline. But only on those two occasions.
Its a south facing view, but if it had been east, I would have seen an anomalous sunrise, way earlier than expected.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Firstly, any major change to the suns angle here on earth would greatly influence the weather, the tilt of the earth creates the seasons,

This is from the OP.

We know that three big earthquakes in the last two years have altered the shape and tilt of the Earth.

My question ( Which I also posed here.: Could the change in tilt and shape affect the wobbling of the Earth? It seems to me it would explain why the Sun seems in its place for a time and then not, and then in its place again.

As for the quote from the OP, well, we all see the seasons are different, in some way, and again, shape and tilt has changed for the Earth, so... With the distance separating the Earth and the Sun, how would it translate in the sky if the tilt changes, even if in a small way? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Firstly, looking at your photos, I would say they are not all taken from the same location/vantage point. Secondly, that would be easy to photoshop, in my opinion. I feel that this is a schill type post, just my opinion.

Thirdly, I totally disagree. I have lived in this apartment for exactly 7 years this month, and every summer this time, I would walk upstairs and take photos of the sun setting over the rooftops across from me. Now I have to look the to the right, and then walk down the complex, to an open area, to see it as it sets well to the north. I also have had my boys harass me every summer to tint our car windows, as the sun will go directly into our eyes every afternoon, literally blinding you as we drove home. Now, the sun is far to our right, over the freeway, and never in our eyes. These are very obvious examples to us, anyway. Something is definitely off, and whoever doesn't notice it must not have been noticing the sun before the subject came up, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
So many here at ATS seem to think the sun isn't where it's meant to be, this may upset a few here but they're all wrong and I can prove it from several different angles.

Firstly, any major change to the suns angle here on earth would greatly influence the weather, the tilt of the earth creates the seasons, right now it's summer in the northern hemisphere and winter in the southern hemisphere...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60805f3108c1.png[/atsimg]

Sorry for the brief high school lesson but any change in where the sun is would change the seasons all over the globe.

Secondly, there is a type of photography that is called solargraphy, it captures the suns movement through the sky each day, here's an example here:

This has gained popularity since 2000.

This site solargraphy.com has been documenting solargraphs from all over the world since 2002.

Hundreds of people all over the world have been doing this for over 10 years now, no change in the sun has been documented, any shift would be clearly visible in these solargraphs.

Thirdly, there are several structures all over the globe that were built for a specific reason, the most famous is Stonehenge, built over 4000 years ago, this structure aligns with the setting sun of the summer solstice, why hasn't anyone who has visited this place during a solstice reported that there was no alignment?

Stonehenge isn't the only place to have a predictable alignment, another popular one is Manhattanhenge.

Twice yearly the setting sun will align with the east-west streets of Manhattan.

Here's an image showing Manhattanhenge since 2006.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87d363003e56.png[/atsimg]

All looks well to me.

There are other reasons but I think these three cover it well enough for now.

So I'm sorry to say but hard facts, which by the way are easily verified trump gut feelings and memories.

did any1 notice OP's thread title is wrong?...it should be The Sun is getting brighter..way brighter..look at those pics

edit on 23-4-2012 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
btw..awesome place to be at the right time...modern stonehenge

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Not that I am doubting the point that you make, but I have to say that that collage of Manhattanhenge pics from different years is imcomplete and meaningless without dates and timestamps. Just sayin'.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: YouPeople

Nothing is stopping you from researching Manhattanhenge yourself is there?

It happened again 2 weeks ago, go look it up.

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Nothing is stopping you from researching Manhattanhenge yourself is there?

I obviously did.

You started this thread with the intent to prove a certain claim. I expect you to provide the evidence that proves this claim. Again, without proven dates and timestamps those pics dont prove a thing.

If the sun did set further north than it always did there still would be a Manhattanhenge, only earlier.

Just pointing out a relevant aspect. You have a problem acknowledging this?
edit on 26-7-2015 by YouPeople because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: YouPeople

The evidence is here bro, why are you ignoring the rest provided?

Not my fault if you can't/won't see it.

edit on 26/7/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join